View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a written airgun blog?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, any length posts

16 57.14%
  • Yes, short posts

4 14.29%
  • Yes, longer detailed posts

3 10.71%
  • No, video is the future

5 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK based air rifle blog

UK based air rifle blog

Hi all. Just trying to judge if there would be much interest in an air rifle blog based in the UK (I'm not sure if blogs are still much of a thing anymore)

I've always had a slight urge to write in some way but never enough to really act on it until now. I've been inspired by some of the articles in various shooting magazines, plus some peoples posts on here which could be blogs in their own right. Also myself and my girlfriend have recently started shooting HFT. I was planning to write a diary of sorts to help my memory/learning along a bit but maybe a blog would achieve the same thing and force me to evaluate my shooting a bit more.

Possible topics would be:
    Learning to shoot HFT
    Bell target shooting
    Reviews and restoration posts on some my collection
    Visits to shooting grounds

So, do people still read blogs and would it be worth doing?

Personally, I'd be interested. There are so many available disciplines within air rifle shooting that it can be a little daunting. Any shared experiences will always boost confidence before you take a leap into a new discipline.

As someone who has published various airgun things I would say go ahead, but do it for yourself and not in the expectation of feedback or responses. People are often too busy or otherwise disinclined to say much online, even if they enjoy your contributions very much. If you expect nothing, you won't be disappointed!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Hi all. Just trying to judge if there would be much interest in an air rifle blog based in the UK (I'm not sure if blogs are still much of a thing anymore)

I've always had a slight urge to write in some way but never enough to really act on it until now. I've been inspired by some of the articles in various shooting magazines, plus some peoples posts on here which could be blogs in their own right. Also myself and my girlfriend have recently started shooting HFT. I was planning to write a diary of sorts to help my memory/learning along a bit but maybe a blog would achieve the same thing and force me to evaluate my shooting a bit more.

Possible topics would be:
    Learning to shoot HFT
    Bell target shooting
    Reviews and restoration posts on some my collection
    Visits to shooting grounds

I would happily read although mostly retired from shooting (injuries), but why did you leave out F1 from your list FT, but include f2 hft, atb good luck with your blog, ...mike...

As above; go right ahead.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Go for it

I occasionally think about doing something similar myself for similar reasons.

your list of topics sounds spot on, go for it and please post up a link.
    Regards,
    Dave.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm on holiday all next week so I'm planning to make a list of all the things I want to write down. Mostly this will be things I have learnt and then forgotten again. Hopefully it will jog the memory a bit.
    Then I need to read up on actually setting up a blog, but hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be able to link to something

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Video, no some of us live in the wilds where a 30s YouTube video takes quarter of an hour to watch.

I don't read long posts anywhere,although I can be inclined to being wordy.

Pictures, good. Especially attractive ladies. Sorry, I meant tiger striped stocks. Essentially I mean people participating is much more interesting than close ups of hamsters.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I find a blog refreshing to read when its from an ordinary person documenting their journey.Theres the odd good fishing ones about.You seem to be able to read them without reading between the lines so to speak.Go go for it!
    I think the trick with them is to update regularly.
    Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldandtarget View Post
    I find a blog refreshing to read when its from an ordinary person documenting their journey.Theres the odd good fishing ones about.You seem to be able to read them without reading between the lines so to speak.Go go for it!
    I think the trick with them is to update regularly.
    Good luck with it.

I was planning on one post per week at the most. I work full time and shoot twice a week so I think any more than one would be a challenge.

I wouldn't do FT straight away because I want to focus on HFT for now. Maybe I'll transition at some point to give it a go though....

So I think this is going ahead.
    I have written the first two posts in sunny Malta on my week off.

I have two more to write as there are 4 basic ones that I wanted to have available almost straight away
    They are:
    - introduction to myself and why I started hft
    - What is HFT?
    - Safety
    - Where to go

I have a list of about 50 possible topics so far, so should be enough for this year at least!
    Just need to work out the hosting/server side of things now

Salamander is offline The bbs' most interfered with member
    Blogs are far from dead, but there are plenty of hulks floating around cyberspace which have run out of steam as they haven't been updated, or sought interaction with other sites and blogs, etc.

You might be interested in looking at these older statistics, though they concern the US.

http://www.socialmediatoday.com/cont...ts-infographic
    That mod from Yns Mon's been interfering with me.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Absolutely; blogs and forums are far better than F...book etc!

The blog is now up and running.
    I've only managed to get two posts up so far, but have some more written that I will get up by the end of this week.

direct link

Updates will be posted on facebook