Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Magnum 240 .22 pistol

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

BSA Magnum 240 .22 pistol

Evening Gentlemen. I have a near mint example of the pistol as detailed above in its original and factory labelled manila box, complete with its polystyrene compartmented insert.

My Magnum 240 sits in the main moulded poly comparment, but there are also two other pre-formed compartments in said poly tray, too, and I would like to know what little accessories and/or appropriate trinkets may have once graced these spaces?

All/any info and/or photos to help educate me here, will be greatly appreciated, as if not too difficult to track down, I may very well try to locate the relevant bits-n-bobs so as to complete the set?

Many thanks in anticipation of your greatly appreciated help.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Guessing it's the same as the airsporters of the same era, so maybe a small transparent tube of pellets and a small plastic oil bottle ?
    (complete guess)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks Jon. Was thinking similar, myself, remembering my original boxed Scorpion pistol kit (similar extras to my boxed Mercury), but would ideally like to know for sure, so any more for any more, please, as all thought and comments greatly appreciated?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

pjbingham is online now My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Hi,I will have to dig mine out but I know they came with an Allen key and a spare breech washer. There is also an owners manual/guide type of thing and a small card which records the results of it being tested prior to dispatch. I'm not so sure from memory that there was an oil bottle though like there was with it's predecessor the Scorpion. Atb Phil

Thanks Phil. I have the yellow BSA test and info card, but nowt else, so am looking forward to reading your up-date when you get the chance -- any time in the next fifteen minutes will be just fine (lol ) ...

Gareth, they came with a small plastic tube of pellets which fitted in a recess on the bottom left of the styrene tray, a yellow test card and a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Gareth, they came with a small plastic tube of pellets which fitted in a recess on the bottom left of the styrene tray, a yellow test card and a manual.
    Thank you David. Won't hold my breath for a mini tub of pellets, but will now start my search for a manual to go with my yellow test card. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Thank you David. Won't hold my breath for a mini tub of pellets, but will now start my search for a manual to go with my yellow test card. Many thanks.
    I can supply you with a scan of the manual, but alas, I don't have an original.

Thank you David. That would be great. I'll contact you tonight after work.

John Bowkett told me a long while ago that BSA had requested a pcp pistol and wanted to use some components from the 240 magnum. He worked on this for quite some time producing several prototypes, see the JB Fanpage photos, butBSA marketing department said there was no market for a pcp pistol and it was shelved.
    The polystyrene tray, he said, for the 240 Magnum had a longer than required cut out in front of the muzzle. When asked why he was told that they were going to manufacture a longer, high power version for the US market. That again was shelved but the polystyrene trays had already been ordered so they stayed as they were.
    That would have been a nice pistol to use if de-tuned to below our limit and with the extra length to control the jump. I had a 240 Magnum and while it was accurate when mastered it was very hold sensitive..

Thanks for that fascinating anecdote greenwayjames, that is a wonderful bit of info to store in the old brain box, so many thanks and cheers.

[QUOTE=Gareth W-B;7284986]Thanks for that fascinating anecdote greenwayjames, that is a wonderful bit of info to store in the old brain box, so many thanks and cheers. [/QUOT

Thanks

Thanks again David, all here and crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    John Bowkett told me a long while ago that BSA had requested a pcp pistol and wanted to use some components from the 240 magnum. He worked on this for quite some time producing several prototypes, see the JB Fanpage photos, butBSA marketing department said there was no market for a pcp pistol and it was shelved.
    The polystyrene tray, he said, for the 240 Magnum had a longer than required cut out in front of the muzzle. When asked why he was told that they were going to manufacture a longer, high power version for the US market. That again was shelved but the polystyrene trays had already been ordered so they stayed as they were.
    That would have been a nice pistol to use if de-tuned to below our limit and with the extra length to control the jump. I had a 240 Magnum and while it was accurate when mastered it was very hold sensitive..
    I would agree that the 240 Magnum is hold sensitive possibly due to it sitting so high in the hold. Once this is mastered however, the pistol is quite accurate if not as powerful as its name might suggest.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I would agree that the 240 Magnum is hold sensitive possibly due to it sitting so high in the hold. Once this is mastered however, the pistol is quite accurate if not as powerful as its name might suggest.

Brian
    They are an acquired taste but the muzzle velocity of my .177 240 is a very healthy 500+ fps. This is higher than my HW45 and Diana P5, although these pistols are easier to shoot accurately. I love my 240 pistol though, it reminds me a bit of my Sterling HR83 rifle; in as much as typical English quirky engineering