Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie de tuna triggers.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Charlie de tuna triggers.

Hi all,

Are charlie de tuna GRT-III triggers just an expensive single stage trigger system, just fitted one to my Brocock Indy and it's basically turned the trigger into a creepy single stager with no positive stop or let off, I've just spent the last hour adjusting both adjuster screws to no avail, oh well that's nearly £40 wasted (£6 of that in postage from B.A.R.).

The original trigger is far better.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The independent has arguably the worst trigger of any gun I've ever shot.

How could an aftermarket kit possibly make it worse?.

Sorry to hear this, Pete.

Just wondering if there might be something you've missed?

Any on-line tutorials out there? Or worth talking with BAR or Welsh Willy?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    The independent has arguably the worst trigger of any gun I've ever shot.

How could an aftermarket kit possibly make it worse?.
    Strangely enough the trigger on mine is pretty good but like you say I've shot a few Gamo's in the past and the triggers have been pretty dire, I suppose I've been pretty lucky with this one.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sorry to hear this, Pete.

Just wondering if there might be something you've missed?

Any on-line tutorials out there? Or worth talking with BAR or Welsh Willy?
    I've been studying the Charlie de tuna website about adjustment and it basically says,

"Keep in mind that the second stage is not a hard stop but rather a slight change in resistance and more of a roll over much like many match triggers. Depending on the trigger and the internal springs, the feel will be more predominant in some guns and lighter in others. This cannot be changed without modifying the internal trigger springs and that is not recommended."

So basically it's not much better than a standard Gamo setup, apart from it being alloy, gold and expensive, I'm used to (and I'm sure you are as well) a standard two stage set up like found on most rifles nowadays, a positive stop and a nice let off (very much like Rekord and CD triggers) not a "roll over" type like whats found on match rifles (not that I've ever seen that type on match rifles I used when I was younger), I've just noticed that I've just bought the last one from BAR and it's now discontinued, I can see why now, I don't think I can really ask Welsh willy for advice considering it's not his trigger or problem.

Pete

Thats proberbly why i still have a box of around 20 of the bloody units...

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    I was going to fit a Charlie de Tuna unit to a CFX I have its got me wondering now.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Yes , it's just that a single stage trigger . It will never going to turn the one you replace into a two stage one . Improves it a bit , but that's all . I spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to work on a SMK 19 a few years back , gave up at the end realizing that's just not possible from mechanical / geometry point of view .

Quote Originally Posted by amx3 View Post
    Yes , it's just that a single stage trigger . It will never going to turn the one you replace into a two stage one . Improves it a bit , but that's all . I spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to work on a SMK 19 a few years back , gave up at the end realizing that's just not possible from mechanical / geometry point of view .
    So why does it say on his website that it turns it into a true 2 stage trigger

Pete

It depends upon the strength of the internal springs on these triggers I think (on how the new trigger will perform). I fitted a replacement WW trigger on my xs 19. It was pseudo 2 stage for probably a 1000 shots and then I could get no better from it than a short single stage. I believe for a similar reason Will didn't recommend his triggers for Hatsan Strikers (weaker springs within the trigger).

my experience with grtIII

Some years ago I purchased 2 pieces of grtIII. By that time I had a gamo cfx and a benjamin super streak. Needless to say how awful both of them were. Anyway, I fitted the triggers and in both cases there was no second stage (or was it the first which was missing?). There was only one short stage which you couldn’t say it was some kind of improvement. However , as I had already spent some money and the only improvement was a shiny gold trigger over the stock black one, I decided to dive deeper and I removed the main spring, I measured its thickness and I made a new one (not really a professional job but anyway it was working properly)from a slightly thinner silver steel wire. That was really an improvement, however the trigger became so sensitive(hair trigger) that you could say it was quite dangerous. Finally I found in youtube a very simple modification which gave the same results (single short stage)with the stock trigger. Just find the video in youtube with the title “crosman trigger fix !!! free”. However this small washer which the guy suggests could be a little tricky to find or to make. IMO grtIII is really a waste of money and time.

Quote Originally Posted by stalil View Post
    Some years ago I purchased 2 pieces of grtIII. By that time I had a gamo cfx and a benjamin super streak. Needless to say how awful both of them were. Anyway, I fitted the triggers and in both cases there was no second stage (or was it the first which was missing?). There was only one short stage which you couldn’t say it was some kind of improvement. However , as I had already spent some money and the only improvement was a shiny gold trigger over the stock black one, I decided to dive deeper and I removed the main spring, I measured its thickness and I made a new one (not really a professional job but anyway it was working properly)from a slightly thinner silver steel wire. That was really an improvement, however the trigger became so sensitive(hair trigger) that you could say it was quite dangerous. Finally I found in youtube a very simple modification which gave the same results (single short stage)with the stock trigger. Just find the video in youtube with the title “crosman trigger fix !!! free”. However this small washer which the guy suggests could be a little tricky to find or to make. IMO grtIII is really a waste of money and time.
    I think I've seen the video you're on about and if I remember correctly I think the guy on it swears all the way through it, I have tried the washer trick but I'm just going to stick with the original one now as it's perfectly acceptable for hunting etc but it's interesting to know that it's not just me who's had the same problem.

Pete

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Are charlie de tuna GRT-III triggers just an expensive single stage trigger system, just fitted one to my Brocock Indy and it's basically turned the trigger into a creepy single stager with no positive stop or let off, I've just spent the last hour adjusting both adjuster screws to no avail, oh well that's nearly £40 wasted (£6 of that in postage from B.A.R.).

The original trigger is far better.

Pete
    Charlie de Tuna triggers are dry and a bit unpalatable. Try sloshing some mayonnaise on it. (or Hot Sauce reel lube).

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I think I've seen the video you're on about and if I remember correctly I think the guy on it swears all the way through it, I have tried the washer trick but I'm just going to stick with the original one now as it's perfectly acceptable for hunting etc but it's interesting to know that it's not just me who's had the same problem.

Pete
    I own a small lathe, which helped me a lot in making that small washer which is required. the external diameter of the "washer" depends on the specific triger you are improving. one or two tenths of a mm in the ext diam. make a huge difference in the final result and feeling of the trigger.if I remember correctly the ext diam should be somewhere around 8-9 mm.

Pete,

Unfortunately you can't ask the 'Charlie Da Tuna' (Mr. Bob Werner') as he died in April-2016

Have fun

Best regards

Russ