Thread: HW97 Scope recommendations

HW97 Scope recommendations

Can any HW97 owners give advice on decent scope options? Ideally photos of setups and any that are too long and should be avoided.

I'm just starting out and fancy something basic to begin with. Mainly for plinking but the local club has a HFT course so it makes sense to get something aimed that way.

I'm looking at something like a Hawke 4-16x40 with mildot. IR looks worth having.

Thanks

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    There are many scopes out there which will fit really well on your 97.
    In the past I have had Simmons Pro Airs 4-16x40, 6-18x40 and Bushnell Legend 5-15x40's on mine all used mostly for range work.

At present I shoot a .177 97 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40AO which is rather long and overhangs the loading port hence the need for high mounts but the scope was "hanging around redundant" in my cupboard at the time so I thought why not, it is a smashing piece of glass !

The Hawke scope you mention should suit you rather well I think !
    “An airgun or two”………

I have a hawke sidewinder 10x42 on mine in medium mounts. It does overhang the loading chamber but i can load it quite easily andi have quite big hands.
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

Sightron SIII 10x42 in two piece Sport Match mounts.
    Challenge HFT .177 16J | Optisan 10x44 | HW50S .22 16J | Fomei 4x32 | HW95K .177 LB 16J | Valiant 4x32 | HW80K .22 LB 26J | Valiant 4x32 | HW97K .177 16J | Schmidt & Bender 10x42

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    Can any HW97 owners give advice on decent scope options? Ideally photos of setups and any that are too long and should be avoided.

I'm just starting out and fancy something basic to begin with. Mainly for plinking but the local club has a HFT course so it makes sense to get something aimed that way.

I'm looking at something like a Hawke 4-16x40 with mildot. IR looks worth having.

Thanks
    If you're starting out, plinking & maybe hft I'd advise you buy a cheapish 3-9x40.. its a very versatile size & sits right in the middle range of magnification which covers most things. It won't be too heavy or expensive but will offer good bang per buck. If I was starting again I'd probably look at the nikko pannamax range, a 3-9 with ao (I prefer non ao or "adjustable objective" scopes mostly but for versitility it is really good). It is very easy to get caught up in large mag scopes but the larger mag you have the less field of view, light gathering and depth of focus, more cost more weight & it's much harder to "hold it still" when your aiming.
    Just my thoughts

Oh & I wouldn't bother with IR either unless your scanning hedgerows or barns in low light. Your better of just buying better glass
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I have the 97KT synthetic in nickel, I'm partially sighted so rely on high mag scopes. Hopefully I've managed to include a picture in this post of my rifle mounted with a Hawke Vantage 6-24x50 IR AO. It's a bit of a pain to load but I've developed a technique which works, being .22 helps too!
    Sadly, can't figure out how to add pics
    .22 HW 110 ST
    .22 HW97 KT Blackline STL
    Walther CP88 Competition Nickel

I'd be considering the smaller Nikko Panamax, the smaller Hawke Panoramas and, most definitely, the Hawke 2-7x32 Airmax.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Trien my little Panamax on the 97 Tone and it performed pretty well !
    The bigger models would be good I think.
    Stretching the budget, a Vortex Diamondback would be tasty !
    “An airgun or two”………

I love Nikon pro staff 3-9x40efr scopes !

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Trien my little Panamax on the 97 Tone and it performed pretty well !
    The bigger models would be good I think.
    Stretching the budget, a Vortex Diamondback would be tasty !
    I'm surprised you don't have one yet John..
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I'm surprised you don't have one yet John..
    Give it time Rhys, give it time !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Give it time Rhys, give it time !
    Lol! Yeah your right... I feel like that about a .20 97k!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Sightron SIII 10x42 in two piece Sport Match mounts.
    Yes that's a nice cheap entry level scope