Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diana sidelevers vs underlevers what do Diana fans prefer these days and why

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Diana sidelevers vs underlevers what do Diana fans prefer these days and why

In the nineties I was a big fan of the Diana 52, then in 2006 Diana brought out a underlever that was lightweight very accurate and could more than match the performance of the 52.
    After careful consideration I now prefer the underlever, there are pros and cons and wonder what other Diana fans here think, I notice that in the USA where the 52 has been a big favorite the underlever is slowly gaining ground.

Model 75 is the best rifle they ever made but discounting that, the old underlever model 50 is my favourite.

Out of the guns/ era you mention I have had the 46. I chose it over the 52 in the shop as it looked and handled better. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a lemon and went back.

If i had the choice again I'd still go for the underlever for the same reasons. More likely, I'd go for one of their break barrels. The 52 is a very substantial unit and seems to lack the sleek looks and handiness that Diana does well in other formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Model 75 is the best rifle they ever made but discounting that, the old underlever model 50 is my favourite.

Out of the guns/ era you mention I have had the 46. I chose it over the 52 in the shop as it looked and handled better. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a lemon and went back.

If i had the choice again I'd still go for the underlever for the same reasons. More likely, I'd go for one of their break barrels. The 52 is a very substantial unit and seems to lack the sleek looks and handiness that Diana does well in other formats.
    Just one of the reasons that I prefer underlever is that the sidelever has such a long cocking stroke, you can see in this pic

http://imgur.com/rbsUg1a

Certainly a bit more of a handful than a Webley Tracker. I think sitting FT style or prone with a bipod would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just one of the reasons that I prefer underlever is that the sidelever has such a long cocking stroke, you can see in this pic

http://imgur.com/rbsUg1a
    I guess that makes it easier to cock in foreign markets where they are doing well over 12 ft-lb

I've got a couple of Original 50's and an old 52 but I think I'm going to sell them to get a 430/460 or maybe 470TH. I haven't tried anything new from Diana and I'm getting an itch

In the nineties I was a big fan of the Diana 52, then in 2006 Diana brought out a underlever that was lightweight very accurate and could more than match the performance of the 52.
    After careful consideration I now prefer the underlever, there are pros and cons and wonder what other Diana fans here think, I notice that in the USA where the 52 has been a big favorite the underlever is slowly gaining ground.
    I bought a 52 in '89 after I had just been made redundant. Back in the days I think the whole world felt that nothing could touch the HW80. The 52 proved that wrong. I never really gave the 52 fair play though with only a few outings.
    I've since picked up a few other Dianas and I guess that the underlever mechanism is a tad more convenient.
    The 52 is a big ole lump of shooting iron and I wonder if a scaled down version would ever catch on in the European market?
    There must still be a market for the sidelevers or the 56th wouldn't be around??
    Dave :-)

I was going to buy the Diana 470TH which is an underlever. However when I went to the shop I saw a Diana 56TH which is a side lever. I was a bit concerned at first how a sidelever would be when cocking it, but the way I hold it to be honest is hardly any difference from an underlever. Yes it's a longer stroke to cock it but that doesn't bother me at all. The thing is the Diana 56TH is such a joy to shoot, without the recoil, and so incredibly accurate the side lever has never bothered me in the slightest. So much so I have since bought an immaculate Diana 52 Firebird (which is also a side lever) to keep the other side lever company. I do target shooting rested at a range of 60 yards so even though they are both heavy, thats doesn't bother me either.
    I do like my under levers and I certainly like my side levers and also my break barrels, I think it's nice to have a change of rifle types but I don't particularly have a preference. As long as it's nice to shoot I love them all.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

My 1987 .177 model 52 was supersonic out of the box. I couldn't hit sod all with it such was the spring torque and recoil, but it bloody sounded nice and raised a few eyebrows at Stone lodge shooting range I later had a go of a Ken Turner 12ftlb converted model 52 and witnessed the great man himself smacking 10mm spinners right up 50 metres with this rifle. His 28ftlb FAC .25 super magnum model 52 was said to be an awesome hunting rifle.
    Last edited by derekj; 22-06-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    My 1987 .177 model 52 was supersonic out of the box. I couldn't hit sod all with it such was the spring torque and recoil, but it bloody sounded nice and raised a few eyebrows at Stone lodge shooting range I later had a go of a Ken Turner 12ftlb converted model 52 and witnessed the great man himself smacking 10mm spinners right up 50 metres with this rifle. His 28ftlb FAC .25 super magnum model 52 was said to be an awesome hunting rifle.
    There was a KT52 at BAR a wee while ago. It was snapped up almost instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    There was a KT52 at BAR a wee while ago. It was snapped up almost instantly.
    It's all OK as long as it hasn't been tinkered with though. Ken's rifles carry such kudos with those who have shot them. My own .177 KT TX200SR is consistent within 4-7 fps over 20 shots over the chonograph using AA Field 4.52.

Although the sidelevers are robust does anyone think that the underlevers are even more robust even though the action is lighter and to me more neat, also are Diana the only manufacturer that make a magnum fixed barrel underlever springer,
    just wondering

Although the sidelevers are robust does anyone think that the underlevers are even more robust even though the action is lighter and to me more neat, also are Diana the only manufacturer that make a magnum fixed barrel underlever springer,
    just wondering
    The weak point of the '52 action in my opinion is the side lever bracket attachment to the cylinder. It has never ever given me a moments trouble with mine but across the pond where these are throttled up a notch I can imagine there is a lot of tension at this point and I just wonder if there have been failures at this junction? Over here I cant imagine there would be many (if any) issues.

Also with the same action and for the same reasons there is a great deal of tension and force being exerted via that little pin that is bolted into the front of the compression tube (cant recall exact name for this part).

Those are the only weak points in an otherwise robust action. But there again- have you heard of these parts failing in a wider sense?

Dave

Never heard of either of those points failing to be honest. 52 is well engineered so doubt it's an issue.

On the side vs under I have both a 52 and 430. Of the two I prefer the 430 for the light weight but I got a Tony Leach short stroke and sleeve on the 52 which is just night and day. If it wasn't for the sentimental attachment I'd get rid of the 52 but as that's not going to happen the 430 will get a tune and then I'll either get a new 430L (with no foresight) or a 440TH if one ever turns up.

If I was going to recommend anything it would be the 430; it's lighter than an HW77 and more tuneable. The T06 trigger is very nice as well though I've not had a good chance to sort out my T01 on the 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post
    Never heard of either of those points failing to be honest. 52 is well engineered so doubt it's an issue.

On the side vs under I have both a 52 and 430. Of the two I prefer the 430 for the light weight but I got a Tony Leach short stroke and sleeve on the 52 which is just night and day. If it wasn't for the sentimental attachment I'd get rid of the 52 but as that's not going to happen the 430 will get a tune and then I'll either get a new 430L (with no foresight) or a 440TH if one ever turns up.

If I was going to recommend anything it would be the 430; it's lighter than an HW77 and more tuneable. The T06 trigger is very nice as well though I've not had a good chance to sort out my T01 on the 52.
    The points mentioned by Dave are rare especially at UK limit but the riveted fulcrum bracket can come loose and the hinge pin is more likely to brake on the underlever if misused because the cocking link is almost unbreakable on the underlever but on the 52 the link rod is more likely to bend and break, you can see what what I mean if you look at these pics

http://imgur.com/BDgcPOH

http://imgur.com/XFIbQrd

http://imgur.com/1ib89Ea

I've slightly lost track of the more recent (read last 15-20 years) Diana underlevers. Which ones are the best at 12 ft/lbs? I know that's not the 460, but the others? What about the flip-up breech guns from a while ago?

I've always fancied a 300R, but I'm probably weird like that.