Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diana sidelevers vs underlevers what do Diana fans prefer these days and why

when i used think of diana crap guns spring to mind,until my mate turns up with a diana firebird,jeez what a monster than was,it would av knocked king kong on his ass haha,that has to be the best springer ive ever fired,but it was a right old weight,ya think hw97k is heavy this firebird is heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I have one or two
    I've recently been fettling a 50T01 and that is a nice solid platform. The tap loaders have long fallen from favour but still give reasonable performance and a real taste of yesteryear.
    I must admit to doing more collecting than shooting these days and so few of the.underlevers get used as often as I would like. The little I have done with them I can still tell they are solidly built. I currently have a 430 ST, 46ST, 46, 460 Mag, 470TH, and 300r.
    Totally off topic for just a moment I overhauled an old 34s on the weekend and I have to say that the breech arrangement on this (and indeed all Diana break barrels I would imagine) is first rate in that you have a steel tube which passes through the breech block and into the breech jaws. Thin shims either side hold the tube in place with the aide of a thin breech bolt. Very simple and efficient and no doubt goes some way to helping these guns to good accuracy.
    Dave
    How is the 470 TH out of the box? Seriously considering treating myself to one of these later in the year once I've sold my 50's and 52.
    I'm hoping its solid/heavy enough to make a solid HFT base without much work needed....

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    How is the 470 TH out of the box? Seriously considering treating myself to one of these later in the year once I've sold my 50's and 52.
    I'm hoping its solid/heavy enough to make a solid HFT base without much work needed....
    Regret to say Dan that 'take it out of the box' is all I have done with it lol. Back when the exchange rate was better.I had it from the fatherland. It was rated at their power level but rose to about ten when the little restrictor disk was removed. And that's as far.as its gone. I've never scoped.it but its certainly a very heavy gun and I would say perhaps ideal for FT. I suspect given to one of the maestros on here and breathed.on it would make a cracking gun for this sport. The stock profile is very high and dedicated for scope use. I would also say that my gun has very negligible recoil and would remain so even if gun tweaked closer to.limit. Its mass soaks up the recoil.
    They seem to be more available these days and price seems a bit.more realistic too.
    I can't see you being disappointed in one fella
    Dave

It's quite difficult to ascertain which models are currently being made and are available in the uk.The website is still down but there is a link to a catalogue.
    There are a few new Diana's showing on the two well known sales sites which isn't much but it's something, I suppose.Still in danger of remaining the near sleeper brand that they have become.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    It's quite difficult to ascertain which models are currently being made and are available in the uk.The website is still down but there is a link to a catalogue.
    There are a few new Diana's showing on the two well known sales sites which isn't much but it's something, I suppose.Still in danger of remaining the near sleeper brand that they have become.
    I was considering buying from Germany. Around £430 at current exchange rate, plus another £10 for a spring if needed. Not sure on postage though

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    I have a few of these walnut t h models all mine were stamped on main cylinder as diana 52 classic and came with dedicated moderator .
    They do feel nice to hold in t h stock.
    Any chance of a pic?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Here is a close up look video of a 470 but you will have to play with a flash player

http://raneair.webs.com/apps/videos/...-22-dian-470th

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Yes that's the truth- and Diana really should have their website up and running by now. Not good for business despite the link to the current catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Here is a close up look video of a 470 but you will have to play with a flash player

http://raneair.webs.com/apps/videos/...-22-dian-470th
    He must be a chunky American as my gun looks bigger on me

Dave

I handled a 430 Stutzen today. It had the fish-scale chequering. It looked absolutely superb and felt extremely sturdy.

As much as I like the later Diana's it has to be said that the quality of these rifles isn't on the same level as Air Arms. The under levers are sent out very dry and stiff. You must budget at least £100 for a strip down, clean polish and overhaul or do it yourself if you have a spring compressor. The Diana under levers are particularly model 440 very stiff to cock. The under lever itself is too small in diameter in my view, and is secured by two flimsy ball bearings which is a shame. The under lever should be secured by a spring loaded push button.

The T06 trigger however is very good and precise, again I think I've read that the it benefits from a strip and polish. The matt black finish on these rifles isn't to every bodies taste also. They do have the all important compression tube interceptor lock which Weihrauch still do not build into their under lever rifles, so at least Diana are showing they are a responsible manufacturer.

I would if I were you, try and get hold of a model 470 and see what you think then first before committing to a shipped in rifle from Germany. They are almost there though Diana, they just need more attention given to the innards and sort out the under lever lock up etc.

I have a diana 52 that has a 22mm skirtless piston fitted
    Also the barrel was swapped for an anschutz rapid barrel in .177
    Its a joy to shoot and something different to my other rifles .

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    As much as I like the later Diana's it has to be said that the quality of these rifles isn't on the same level as Air Arms. The under levers are sent out very dry and stiff. You must budget at least £100 for a strip down, clean polish and overhaul or do it yourself if you have a spring compressor. The Diana under levers are particularly model 440 very stiff to cock. The under lever itself is too small in diameter in my view, and is secured by two flimsy ball bearings which is a shame. The under lever should be secured by a spring loaded push button.

The T06 trigger however is very good and precise, again I think I've read that the it benefits from a strip and polish. The matt black finish on these rifles isn't to every bodies taste also. They do have the all important compression tube interceptor lock which Weihrauch still do not build into their under lever rifles, so at least Diana are showing they are a responsible manufacturer.

I would if I were you, try and get hold of a model 470 and see what you think then first before committing to a shipped in rifle from Germany. They are almost there though Diana, they just need more attention given to the innards and sort out the under lever lock up etc.
    I agree that new Diana's are often annoyingly dry. Not all of them. I'm not totally with you on the underlever catch as I had an HW97 catch break in under 1500 shots. The Stutzen underlever was secured firmly and took a good pull to release. The lever itself is indeed short and some may struggle with the lack of torque.
    The gun seemed very well made and finished. It was too expensive for me however.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post

You are right Diana's out of the box IMO want a spit and polish tune, but you need to look closer at the underlevers the lock up is a weak point but no big deal to fix, but now look a the robustness of the lever its self, it may be the only underlever that when cocked has no looseness and play, its solid and has two spring dome washers have a look

http://imgur.com/vlFqomN

The reason for the heavy for some cocking effort is the position of the pivot pin that gives short fast cocking, to get easy cocking the pin would be here
    http://imgur.com/PfVlerb

but then the 115 mm stroke would mean that the cocking stroke would be very long like the 52 so its a trade off

Quote Originally Posted by valboskie View Post
    I have a diana 52 that has a 22mm skirtless piston fitted
    Also the barrel was swapped for an anschutz rapid barrel in .177
    Its a joy to shoot and something different to my other rifles .
    A bit of a rare beast that mate
    Dave