Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diana sidelevers vs underlevers what do Diana fans prefer these days and why

The flip up breech cover models were the 46's. I had one but not for long. They were long strokers and they made way for the more recent sliding breech underlevers. Of these, the 430 and 440 have the short strokes more suited to these shores.
    I'm certain Dave (jonnyone) has a a few Diana underlevers so maybe will be along soon to advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just one of the reasons that I prefer underlever is that the sidelever has such a long cocking stroke, you can see in this pic

http://imgur.com/rbsUg1a
    Wonder if its a 52 spring in the squat magic

The points mentioned by Dave are rare especially at UK limit but the riveted fulcrum bracket can come loose and the hinge pin is more likely to brake on the underlever if misused because the cocking link is almost unbreakable on the underlever but on the 52 the link rod is more likely to bend and break, you can see what what I mean if you look at these pics

http://imgur.com/BDgcPOH

http://imgur.com/XFIbQrd

http://imgur.com/1ib89Ea
    I can't see how the rod would bend like that, when force is applied it is in tension not compression? maybe someone forgot to release the anti bear trap when they pushed the lever forward
    Last edited by buttloaves; 26-06-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    I can't see how the rod would bend like that, when force is applied it is in tension not compression?
    It happens when one absentmindedly fails to depress the ABT "button" and closes the breech... the rod is much thinner than appears, it has a plastic cover...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    The flip up breech cover models were the 46's. I had one but not for long. They were long strokers and they made way for the more recent sliding breech underlevers. Of these, the 430 and 440 have the short strokes more suited to these shores.
    I'm certain Dave (jonnyone) has a a few Diana underlevers so maybe will be along soon to advise.
    I have one or two
    I've recently been fettling a 50T01 and that is a nice solid platform. The tap loaders have long fallen from favour but still give reasonable performance and a real taste of yesteryear.
    I must admit to doing more collecting than shooting these days and so few of the.underlevers get used as often as I would like. The little I have done with them I can still tell they are solidly built. I currently have a 430 ST, 46ST, 46, 460 Mag, 470TH, and 300r.
    Totally off topic for just a moment I overhauled an old 34s on the weekend and I have to say that the breech arrangement on this (and indeed all Diana break barrels I would imagine) is first rate in that you have a steel tube which passes through the breech block and into the breech jaws. Thin shims either side hold the tube in place with the aide of a thin breech bolt. Very simple and efficient and no doubt goes some way to helping these guns to good accuracy.
    Dave

I remember about 30yrs ago i saw an add in one of the mags for a 52 thumbhole, it was Kranks i think, they did credit, i lusted after that gun, can't remember what it was called but i think it was a model not a one off, nearly took the plunge.

This is nice,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

Here's an old CS800 from 1986/7 on a Diana 52. Other side of it

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I have one or two
    I've recently been fettling a 50T01 and that is a nice solid platform. The tap loaders have long fallen from favour but still give reasonable performance and a real taste of yesteryear.
    I must admit to doing more collecting than shooting these days and so few of the.underlevers get used as often as I would like. The little I have done with them I can still tell they are solidly built. I currently have a 430 ST, 46ST, 46, 460 Mag, 470TH, and 300r.
    Totally off topic for just a moment I overhauled an old 34s on the weekend and I have to say that the breech arrangement on this (and indeed all Diana break barrels I would imagine) is first rate in that you have a steel tube which passes through the breech block and into the breech jaws. Thin shims either side hold the tube in place with the aide of a thin breech bolt. Very simple and efficient and no doubt goes some way to helping these guns to good accuracy.
    Dave
    That's a lot of Diana underlevers, Dave! I do have a soft spot for the old 50s, myself.
    I also agree on the great pivot sleeve set up on the breakbarrels. I think that set up.has been running since the Original 45 and quite possibly before.
    I think I'd go for a breakbarrel over a side/ underlever if I was in the market for a new Diana.

This is nice,
    It's a great pity CS don't offer anything for Diana's these days.
    There was a thumbhole stocked 48 for sale a few months ago on one if the well know sales websites. I think it may have been a Venom.

CS did make a stock for them years ago but supposedly their new fancy CNC routers can't make them any more. Believe me, more than a few folk have asked as we really want something like a 56TH stock for the 48/52. Personally I think it's more a case they can't be bothered programming them in as it's not a big enough market, I can't see how the inletting would be any more difficult than the next gun.

I'd second the 430/440 being perfect for sub 12, lovely guns to shoot.

52 classic

I remember about 30yrs ago i saw an add in one of the mags for a 52 thumbhole, it was Kranks i think, they did credit, i lusted after that gun, can't remember what it was called but i think it was a model not a one off, nearly took the plunge.
    I have a few of these walnut t h models all mine were stamped on main cylinder as diana 52 classic and came with dedicated moderator .
    They do feel nice to hold in t h stock.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I have one or two
    Dave
    And I thought that I was a Diana fan you have almost a full set of morden Diana underlevers

Dave does your 34s have a firebird stock?

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    I have a few of these walnut t h models all mine were stamped on main cylinder as diana 52 classic and came with dedicated moderator .
    They do feel nice to hold in t h stock.
    Now we know where they all went!!!!
    Not that I'm bitter or anything
    Dave

And I thought that I was a Diana fan you have almost a full set of morden Diana underlevers

Dave does your 34s have a firebird stock?
    Only Firebird I have Barry is the 52 I had from Litts mentioned earlier. However, here's the odd thing. The 34 DID arrive with a Firebird medallion on the pistol grip. Sadly it was there with the help of a sticky label NOT a metal medallion inlet
    I think that was wishful thinking on behalf of the previous owner.
    Its still a nice gun though and being a carbine I fancy it balances better than a full length version. Just my take on it.
    Dave

52 classic

Now we know where they all went!!!!
    Not that I'm bitter or anything
    Dave
    I did go a little mad I think I have 5 and one in not such a collectable state and a spare stock .
    Frank dyke had these customed as such.
    I have seen a 34 with the t h stock stamped classic too but couldn't buy it at the time.

Their are a few classic 52about and one with venom bluing but I believe it's standard inside.
    I do love the Diana's break barrel and side leavers.
    Their is something sweet about the 52 I used to get on well with them.