Thread: Over-Scoping Air Rifles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have recently got into shooting and joined a local club.
    Most there shoot FT so mega scopes are the thing. 10-50x60 are normal.
    Due to cost alone I have bought a Zos 10-40x50 scope which is a good starter.
    However to progress serious money has to be spent. Not for me!
    Do we over scope? Depends what we shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls1392 View Post
    Not really true. For a couple of £100 you can have a high mag scope capable of placing deep inside the top 10 at world championship level. Tasco custom shops and debens are often overlooked because people often just take short cuts and follow someone else. I've won Swefta FT season title with both a 10-40x56 walther custom shop and a March. I also won the csfta Ft league title with the 10-40x56 walther custom shop.

The high mag is needed to rangefind. As for zoom range, I mostly leave mine on 60. My fixed mag 40 has no zoom range.

Im no expert but i use 9x40 and 9x50,i think thats all i need,dont need no monster scope for permission i go to,its 150 yard stretch of wood and 3 or 4 big fields.

A 4-12x38 would be my choice with ret/optics the same as the delta optical hft

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls1392 View Post
    I have recently got into shooting and joined a local club.
    Most there shoot FT so mega scopes are the thing. 10-50x60 are normal.
    Due to cost alone I have bought a Zos 10-40x50 scope which is a good starter.
    Do we over scope? Depends what we shoot.
    FT max shooting distance is 55 yards mate and not 550 yards. 12X is more than enough to show the target well with a decent scope. The only reason that the a large objective/high mag scope maybe of use is to utelise the extremely shallow depth of field afforded by the said combination to facilitate accurate range finding and then dialing in the shots and not much more.
    Persoanlly I find the use of 18X without proper support for the rifle disconcerting to say the least let alone 40X.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    FT max shooting distance is 55 yards mate and not 550 yards. 12X is more than enough to show the target well with a decent scope. The only reason that the a large objective/high mag scope maybe of use is to utelise the extremely shallow depth of field afforded by the said combination to facilitate accurate range finding and then dialing in the shots and not much more.
    Persoanlly I find the use of 18X without proper support for the rifle disconcerting to say the least let alone 40X.

A.G
    That's exactly why you use the high mag large objective, to discern the range, as best you can, ideally to the yard or two at least. You won't do that with 18x unfortunately. With a good position though you can get a good picture right up to 80x in the sitting position.