Thread: Over-Scoping Air Rifles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta303 View Post
    I would agree totally with this, I use a Falcon 4-14x44FFPSF-MOA, it has an extended lower leg on the ret and with careful zeroing enables shots from 8 yards to 120 yards (dependent on shot elevation). I shoot at 10x zoom regardless.

The reticle was the main consideration when buying the scope (I actually have two) as I wanted a scope that would work with a sub 12ftlb .22 at extended ranges. The tradeoffs are its heavy, quite long and has a bulky saddle with large oversize turrets, but at the end of the day these are minor issues when you consider the luxury of marked aim points all the way out to 120 yards.

So yes, for me, the reticle is the single most important reason for buying any scope, quality glass and other features are then secondary issues that more often than not add serious cost and often go hand in hand with the ret you're after anyway, then it just depends on your bank balance.

As for overscoping, I think most shooters, especially beginners, have at some point gone down the 6.25-24x56 (etc) route and then at a later date having gleaned knowledge and advice then changed to glass that suits their particular need best, whatever that may be.
    A good measured reply that recognises 'what's right for one won't be right for all'.

A plinker shooting a can at 10yds, perhaps open sights is good enough. A person shooting rabbits / pigeons or similar at, maybe 30yds, should be achieving 1/2" group, so some sort of magnification would seem appropriate to ensure a humane kill. A Benchrester needs a higher magnification to see the 2mm 'bull'.
    Last edited by zephyr; 22-06-2017 at 12:16 PM.