Thread: Over-Scoping Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Lol!, that's me told, i thought it was some opto technical term

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamHenderson View Post
    decent 2-7 x 32 is perfect
    big field of view and quick acquisition of your target
    Is my choice.

As per many posters on here, I value optical quality and sight picture over bells, whistles and size. I've never owned a large objective, "mega-mag" scope, but fully understand why the FT boys value them, though.

When I hunted (sensible ranges and springer), the humble 4x32 served me well.

As and when I can afford / justify, the Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 will be right at the top of my list to examine.

The Nikko Air King Gold Crown of the same spec that I bought last Summer sits atop my TX and I'm over the moon with it. Not sure if still available?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Is my choice.

As per many posters on here, I value optical quality and sight picture over bells, whistles and size. I've never owned a large objective, "mega-mag" scope, but fully understand why the FT boys value them, though.

When I hunted (sensible ranges and springer), the humble 4x32 served me well.

As and when I can afford / justify, the Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 will be right at the top of my list to examine.

The Nikko Air King Gold Crown of the same spec that I bought last Summer sits atop my TX and I'm over the moon with it. Not sure if still available?
    Up until recently I had a 'Simmons 1.5-5x32/8-point' which was a cracking little scope but I made the mistake of mounting it on my 'Xocet' which is renowned for breaking scopes, I once had a 'Nikko Airking GC' and unless things have changed in the last 10yrs then it is a bloody horrendous scope in my humble opinion...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Which all goes to show that we're all different and like different things.

With scopes, it does seem to be that different glass seems to suit different people's eyes.....

I have one of those Simmons scopes on one of my 30Ss. Okay, but nothing too sparkling, in my opinion.

Whereas I have lots of the old Gold Crown 4x32 scopes and two modern Air King versions, a 4x32 and the 2-7, and find them excellent.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

A 4-12x38 would be my choice with ret/optics the same as the delta optical hft

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls1392 View Post
    I have recently got into shooting and joined a local club.
    Most there shoot FT so mega scopes are the thing. 10-50x60 are normal.
    Due to cost alone I have bought a Zos 10-40x50 scope which is a good starter.
    However to progress serious money has to be spent. Not for me!
    Do we over scope? Depends what we shoot.
    FT max shooting distance is 55 yards mate and not 550 yards. 12X is more than enough to show the target well with a decent scope. The only reason that the a large objective/high mag scope maybe of use is to utelise the extremely shallow depth of field afforded by the said combination to facilitate accurate range finding and then dialing in the shots and not much more.
    Persoanlly I find the use of 18X without proper support for the rifle disconcerting to say the least let alone 40X.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta303 View Post
    I would agree totally with this, I use a Falcon 4-14x44FFPSF-MOA, it has an extended lower leg on the ret and with careful zeroing enables shots from 8 yards to 120 yards (dependent on shot elevation). I shoot at 10x zoom regardless.

The reticle was the main consideration when buying the scope (I actually have two) as I wanted a scope that would work with a sub 12ftlb .22 at extended ranges. The tradeoffs are its heavy, quite long and has a bulky saddle with large oversize turrets, but at the end of the day these are minor issues when you consider the luxury of marked aim points all the way out to 120 yards.

So yes, for me, the reticle is the single most important reason for buying any scope, quality glass and other features are then secondary issues that more often than not add serious cost and often go hand in hand with the ret you're after anyway, then it just depends on your bank balance.

As for overscoping, I think most shooters, especially beginners, have at some point gone down the 6.25-24x56 (etc) route and then at a later date having gleaned knowledge and advice then changed to glass that suits their particular need best, whatever that may be.
    One of the reasons that I don't touch the Nikon range that despite having superb glass and construction are totally useless for my kind of shooting which is long range target, 90 yards is the max that I attempt for now .

The other point that I always consider is the effect of the scope on the balance and handling of the rifle. I find large scopes in addition of being too heavy and requiring high mounts which in combination with the weight totally alter the balance of the rifle and even make it unstable.

A.G

its a tool
    you have more than one choice
    up to you to choose the tool for the job.
    nobody is the same so the choice of tool may vary from one to another
    becomes more complex if the scope is to be used for more than one role like FT/HFT/Hunting/Bench etc
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Ok, having read the 3 pages of replies and being on the lookout for a new scope, what would be the best scope for killing rats at 15-25 yards and target shooting up to 35 yards.

I need something that will provide clear images to help with clean kills and must be as simple to use as possible.

Budget... up to £350ish

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    FT max shooting distance is 55 yards mate and not 550 yards. 12X is more than enough to show the target well with a decent scope. The only reason that the a large objective/high mag scope maybe of use is to utelise the extremely shallow depth of field afforded by the said combination to facilitate accurate range finding and then dialing in the shots and not much more.
    Persoanlly I find the use of 18X without proper support for the rifle disconcerting to say the least let alone 40X.

A.G
    That's exactly why you use the high mag large objective, to discern the range, as best you can, ideally to the yard or two at least. You won't do that with 18x unfortunately. With a good position though you can get a good picture right up to 80x in the sitting position.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    Ok, having read the 3 pages of replies and being on the lookout for a new scope, what would be the best scope for killing rats at 15-25 yards and target shooting up to 35 yards.

I need something that will provide clear images to help with clean kills and must be as simple to use as possible.

Budget... up to £350ish
    For ratting I reckon the Nikon Prostaff 2~7x32 is actually better than the older Simmons 1.5~5x20 which is still a great scope. For 35 yard targets the Prostaff will still be excellent but will only cost you about £100 'mint used'.. As for £350 if you really want to spend that much I have a Leupold 3-9x40 mildot which does a fantastic job. I also love my Nikon Monarch 4~16x42 mildot which cost me £250 mint used. This is also a superb scope with more magnification when your eyes start to deteriorate.
    You are going to get a lot of different answers to your question so be prepared for complete confusion.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

You buy a scope to suit the job your doing with it.

Do you need a 10-50x60 to shoot rats in a barn? no, in fact it's useless for it.

Do you buy a 6x40 to shoot FT competitions, no, it's useless for it.

Do you need a 6-24x50 for plinking mints in the garden, no.

do you need a 6-24x50 to shoot small targets at 60yds yes.

Can you use a Leupold 3-9x40 later into the evening than a cheap JSR? yes, so you buy the Leupold if that's what you need!

Zoom scopes are more versatile as you can wind the mag down when you need a wider FOV, you cant wind up a fixed 6x mag if you need to.

Scopes are entirely dependant on the use , the quality your prepared to pay for and the reticle or mechanical specification you require!

Sounds to me half the guys who get so worked up about other peoples scopes have an inferiority complex!

This^

All my farmyard range rifles have pretty KISS easy scopes with pretty low magnification.

My benchrest, shoot a nat, rifles have all the toys high mag scopes.

My best scopes did cost a lot. Best glass is worth the investment and its the quality of glass that drags in the most light in tricky conditions.
    (30mm scopes are not brighter than 1" tubed scopes, just makes it easier o build and give loads of adjustment. The objective lens and quality of glass is what does the clarity).
    Build quality matters, and there are a lot of pretty poor high feature scopes being pushed that really aren't much cop. Some jems to be had, though often because they are fixed powered.

Lastly I do like a scope to match the rifle in scale. If it looks right on the rifle then its probably fine.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post

Budget... up to £350ish
    I'd say a 4x32/6x42/2-7x32/3-9x40.. high quality up to £350!
    Try £150, £200 tops!!
    Save your cash & look at vortex Diamondback & Nikon prostaff. I had a prostaff 4x32 which had an excellent Plex Ret. I've had a few vortex's now.. Diamondback is deffo the best value. But if I was building a dedicated ratting setup from scratch, I'd get a Nikon 4x32 Plex, or 2-7x32 Plex
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Cheers guys, if I was just out killing rats, forgetting target shouting, at a short to medium range, what would the recommendation be?

Again, I could spend upto £350.

(I have problems with my eyes so I need very good clear optics)