Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Over-Scoping Air Rifles

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Always thought the Simmons WTC 4 x 40WA fixed mag is a useful "minimalist" scope.
    Owned a few at one time using them on carbine spring and Rammers for pest control.
    Big disc, wide angle and very bright no nonsense optics !
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Always thought the Simmons WTC 4 x 40WA fixed mag is a useful "minimalist" scope.
    Owned a few at one time using them on carbine spring and Rammers for pest control.
    I've said this many times before, I totally agree with what you say about the quality but they were grossly overpriced at the time.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Yes not cheap but I bought all mine secondhand at the time.
    I did buy the 3.5-10x40 new from our sponsor awhile ago when they were on offer many moons ago though. That one I still use strapped on top of a Fenman but all the 4x40's are long gone.
    “An airgun or two”………

Hello to All,

When I hunted, with both 0.22" LR rimfire and air-rifle, I used a Simmons Whitetail 1.5 - 5 x 20, set at x3, for almost fifteen (15) years with complete satisfaction.

Never felt the need to 'scope-up'.

These days, as I don't hunt anymore, and have gone over to the target side of air rifle, I use two (2) 10x42 scopes on my 'field' springers - an SWFA 10x42M, and a Hawke Sidewinder 30 10x42.

These scopes have a very fine centre cross-hairs in the reticule, and for me, are ideal for my use in the up to 55 yards range.

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    Ok, having read the 3 pages of replies and being on the lookout for a new scope, what would be the best scope for killing rats at 15-25 yards and target shooting up to 35 yards.

I need something that will provide clear images to help with clean kills and must be as simple to use as possible.

Budget... up to £350ish
    BSA essential 4x32. Clear glass, good mil dot ret and around £30.
    Spend the rest on a holiday
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Most of my scopes are 3-9x40 on pretty good quality, I can't really justify buying top notch scopes but if I could afford it then I probably would, I've always been a stickler for good quality lenses and understand that if you start buying cheap big arse scopes with high mag and lots of pointless bits on it then you are normally going to get crappy lenses but if you stick to a scope with either a 3-9 or fixed 6 mag then you can get something half decent for about the same money, I recently obtained a secondhand Nikon 3-9x50 non AO which has excellent lenses and sight picture all for about £85, perfectly acceptable for the sort of shooting I'm doing.

Pete
    I love the clarity on nikon scopes. Just dont get on with the rets
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Years ago the 4x40 WTC was a big favourite of mine. Ended up buying one about 18 months ago in perfect condition to find that my aging eyes just could not get on with the reticle any more. Finding a good quality 4x40 now that you dont need a mortgage to afford is now like searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If it aint 2ft long and got more dials than a "dially thing" and doesn't have mega zoom its obviously not needed so no bugger makes em. Shame.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    What you need is a Leupold VXiii 4.5-14 x 50 LR. Crystal clear in any conditions with side paralax for closer shots, and I happen to know where theres one available for considerably less than your max budget!

What Ret is that, my mate loves the leupy scopes and depending on price he would be interested.

Just a small gripe. Why do manufacturers keep on producing 3x9 with mildot reticules that are not true. Either calibrate the reticule for 9X or make a 3x10 true mildot . Some of these optical anomalies do my head. The same as when the turrets calibration of a scope do not match the reticule. I understnd that in the airgun world , particularly sub 12 these anomalies really do not matter but as a whole there is something not making sense here.

A.G

I'm a big believer at minimising the centre of the bore to the centre of the scope (at my ranges). Probably shot more with a HW80 and a Ziess 4x32 than anything else.

But there are certain guns that I can't see an advantage of a smaller scope, for example a Rapid or Airwolf / Ranger etc.

Both need magazine clearance, so I looked at a x50mm for my Rapid but settled on a x42mm Vortex Diamondback HP. Nice and uncluttered with the BDC, but more importantly better for my eyes than the more expensive 30mm tubed Viper.
    BSA Meteor .22 - the mans calibre

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn. View Post
    I'm a big believer at minimising the centre of the bore to the centre of the scope (at my ranges). Probably shot more with a HW80 and a Ziess 4x32 than anything else.

But there are certain guns that I can't see an advantage of a smaller scope, for example a Rapid or Airwolf / Ranger etc.

Both need magazine clearance, so I looked at a x50mm for my Rapid but settled on a x42mm Vortex Diamondback HP. Nice and uncluttered with the BDC, but more importantly better for my eyes than the more expensive 30mm tubed Viper.
    I really like my Vortex Diamondback HP. It is annoyingly bright and clear and very light weight which is one my gripes about " less technically advanced " scopes. The only concern is that it is now getting close to the £400.00 mark.

A.G