Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JSRamsbottom Scopes - what's the difference?

JSRamsbottom Scopes - what's the difference?

After a cheap scope and I see JSR are a sponsor of the forum, and have their own (very) budget range.

They have two 3-9x40 scopes, one with IR (£23) and one without (£12). Is IR the only difference?

Thanks if anyone knows.

Apparently they are good value for the money. Why not take the plunge and go for the 3-9×40 and see what it's like before writing a review and posting it on here. I've got to say the two cheap scopes I've bought in recent years were the Nikko 6×40 Mount master and Hawke Vantage 2-7×32. Both are annoyingly excellent for the cash

I think that the one you are looking at which is £23 is a different manufacture to the one at £13.00, but basically the only main difference is the IR and possibly better optics with the Leapers. I have had a good number of scopes from JSR both in the past and also lately and never been dissapointed with any of them, the Hawke Sport HD 2-7x32 IR being especially good.

Recently bought a 3-9 x 40 for my CO2 fun gun from JSR. Must say, very pleased with it after reparalaxing to 30 yds. Only cost £15 delivered. Really can't fault it at all

Regards

Roger

How did you reparralax? I was going to return it (despite it being pretty phenomenal in terms of bang-for-buck, but if I can move the parallax from 100m down to say 30, then I'll keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    How did you reparralax? I was going to return it (despite it being pretty phenomenal in terms of bang-for-buck, but if I can move the parallax from 100m down to say 30, then I'll keep it.
    http://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/33-ad...-ao-scope.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Apparently they are good value for the money. Why not take the plunge and go for the 3-9×40 and see what it's like before writing a review and posting it on here. I've got to say the two cheap scopes I've bought in recent years were the Nikko 6×40 Mount master and Hawke Vantage 2-7×32. Both are annoyingly excellent for the cash
    I ordered a Saber 2x7x32 AO, supposed to be made by Nikko Sterling, from them yesterday. Will post a quick review of it once I get it.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I ordered a Saber 2x7x32 AO, supposed to be made by Nikko Sterling, from them yesterday. Will post a quick review of it once I get it.

A.G
    Great scope you will be impressed for the money

Think ill try these js ramsbottom scopes for my new s400,i buy all my gear from jsr its always quality stuff,ill let yous know what there like after tried em.

Well, the 2x7x32 AO Saber arrived today. Lets be very clear about whatever I am going to say , that it is with regards to a scope that cost me £37.00 but it is retailing at nearly £70.00 from other outlets.

Packaging, box, the huge cleaning cloth supplied are much more than I expected.

The scope finish is a lovely mat black. The zoom ring is smooth and with absolutely no play or backlash. The AO functions smoothly but has just a little detectable backlash before the helix is engaged but is well dampened. Nothing major here.

The flip up caps are the usual cheap affair expected on these scopes but atleast they have been supplied.

The Turrets are oversized for a scope of this size which is a good thing. The windage is spot on. The elevation on my sample is far too stiff almost as if it has been locked but there is no lock that I could see.

The lenses are very good for a scope of this price bracket and so is the reticule. Much better and finer than my Vantage 3x9x40. The lens coatings are of the green variety which is a good thing. The scope shows just a tad of Chromatic Abberation against the ever grey Manchester sky but the field seems flat. Much better than I expected. The Eye Relief is good.

The one piece mount supplied is functional but it has 3 arrestor pins along its length. This is a very welcome suprprise and makes the mounting of the scope on AirArms springers and getting the Eye relief correct much easier.

If one is going to mount the scope on something like an S400 then the once piece mount has to be replaced as there is hardly any room to feed the pellet under the the low mount.

I have to wait till Sunday to give it a field test but so far the only gripe is that super stiff elevation turret.
    At the price asked by JSR the scope so far exceeds expectations by quite a margin but the field test is the all important one.

A.G

Ah no good for me then cos i want scope for my s400,but what ever scope i buy it will be from ramsbottoms they do sell top notch gear there service is top notch and delivery lightning quick,i always buy air gun gear from these.dunno if they sell rifles ??? I remember buying a webley tracker off them in mid 1990s,do ramsbottoms still sell fire arms ????,

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    dunno if they sell rifles ??? I remember buying a webley tracker off them in mid 1990s,do ramsbottoms still sell fire arms ????,
    Not any more I'm afraid. I myself bought a couple of rifles from them back in the day when they had shops in Shipley and Keighley, a Sharps Innova and a BSA Airsporter Stutzen Special Edition I seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Well, the 2x7x32 AO Saber arrived today. Lets be very clear about whatever I am going to say , that it is with regards to a scope that cost me £37.00 but it is retailing at nearly £70.00 from other outlets.

Packaging, box, the huge cleaning cloth supplied are much more than I expected.

The scope finish is a lovely mat black. The zoom ring is smooth and with absolutely no play or backlash. The AO functions smoothly but has just a little detectable backlash before the helix is engaged but is well dampened. Nothing major here.

The flip up caps are the usual cheap affair expected on these scopes but atleast they have been supplied.

The Turrets are oversized for a scope of this size which is a good thing. The windage is spot on. The elevation on my sample is far too stiff almost as if it has been locked but there is no lock that I could see.

The lenses are very good for a scope of this price bracket and so is the reticule. Much better and finer than my Vantage 3x9x40. The lens coatings are of the green variety which is a good thing. The scope shows just a tad of Chromatic Abberation against the ever grey Manchester sky but the field seems flat. Much better than I expected. The Eye Relief is good.

The one piece mount supplied is functional but it has 3 arrestor pins along its length. This is a very welcome suprprise and makes the mounting of the scope on AirArms springers and getting the Eye relief correct much easier.

If one is going to mount the scope on something like an S400 then the once piece mount has to be replaced as there is hardly any room to feed the pellet under the the low mount.

I have to wait till Sunday to give it a field test but so far the only gripe is that super stiff elevation turret.
    At the price asked by JSR the scope so far exceeds expectations by quite a margin but the field test is the all important one.

A.G
    Funnily enough I bought the same scope when I ordered the JSR/Leapers. I'm a novice so I'm so glad you've reviewed it. I was pretty blown away by it to be honest. I only got it because of a slightly tangential recommendation of its fine mildot reticle.

I bought it as a cheap option for a 2nd gun, but it's too good so it's going on the main gun, and I'm gonna get the Sabre 4x32 for the 2nd.

The JSR/Leapers is lovely and seems excellent value-for-money, and massive thanks to bighit for the link on how to reparrellaxing, but it sounds like something I'd f-up.

If Sabre produce a 3or4-12x40 version and JSR sell it at a price in line with the 2-7x32 I'll be desperate to snap one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    Funnily enough I bought the same scope when I ordered the JSR/Leapers. I'm a novice so I'm so glad you've reviewed it. I was pretty blown away by it to be honest. I only got it because of a slightly tangential recommendation of its fine mildot reticle.

I bought it as a cheap option for a 2nd gun, but it's too good so it's going on the main gun, and I'm gonna get the Sabre 4x32 for the 2nd.

The JSR/Leapers is lovely and seems excellent value-for-money, and massive thanks to bighit for the link on how to reparrellaxing, but it sounds like something I'd f-up.

If Sabre produce a 3or4-12x40 version and JSR sell it at a price in line with the 2-7x32 I'll be desperate to snap one up.
    Which Leapers did you get, this one?

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...ed-riflescope-[3030-reticule]-.html

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Which Leapers did you get, this one?

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...ed-riflescope-[3030-reticule]-.html
    That's the one. Seems very good, and if I was more experienced, I'd reset it from 100 to 30, and keep it. The 30/30 reticle looks nice, and I can see how it could be pretty straight forward to hold up/down, but the sabre's Ap appeals to me as a novice.