Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley service serial number

Webley service serial number

Can anyone help date my mk2 service serial number s10266.
    Also it is in need of restoration, would a re blue by Colin molloy affect its value?

Regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikewareing View Post
    Can anyone help date my mk2 service serial number s10266.
    Also it is in need of restoration, would a re blue by Colin molloy affect its value?

Regards Mike
    Hello Mike

Reference sources place your rifle as a 3rd Series example dating to late 1936 or early 1937.

Most collectors frown on refinished air guns unless the cosmetic appearance is extremely poor. Refinishing is of less importance to those who just like the rifle and would intend shooting it on a regular basis. It would however affect the resale value and I doubt you would recoup the cost have having the refinishing carried out.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Mike

Reference sources place your rifle as a 3rd Series example dating to late 1936 or early 1937.

Most collectors frown on refinished air guns unless the cosmetic appearance is extremely poor. Refinishing is of less importance to those who just like the rifle and would intend shooting it on a regular basis. It would however affect the resale value and I doubt you would recoup the cost have having the refinishing carried out.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian
    l would have to agree with Brian on the refinishing bit.

Thanks for the info guys, it has no blueing left and someone tried to scour it to reveal markings.
    It is a bit tatty and not a happy bunny.
    Regards Mike

I take it that you're talking about this one, Mike ?

http://www.airgunbbs.com/attachment....3&d=1497777173

I'd be inclined to sell as it is and let the new owner decide whether to refinish it or not.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I take it that you're talking about this one, Mike ?

http://www.airgunbbs.com/attachment....3&d=1497777173

I'd be inclined to sell as it is and let the new owner decide whether to refinish it or not.

All the best Mick
    Sound advice....

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Sound advice....
    Agreed.

A mate of mine has bought it and I was asking for him. Thanks for the advice guys

I have a Service with a SN in the S8000s, which has provenance to late 1937, so I'd date this one approximately to 1938 (probably splitting hairs I know!). I agree with the comments about refinishing, as remember doing so immediately kills the rifle's honest wear and history. All those knocks and wear, where the rifle has been lovingly held and used are gone forever and a large portion of the collecting market will not touch it.

John

Thumbs up

Does anyone know how many were made per year?

Mine is S12681

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Does anyone know how many were made per year?

Mine is S12681

John
    Hi John,

Usually it's a best guess, using known rifles and factory changes. The new 'Mark 3' style rearsight was developed during 1938 and was intended for rifles numbered S12400 onwards. There is some crossover with numbering, as with all series production and I'd date your rifle to the latter half of 1938.

Kind regards,

John

I really don't get the refinishing issue.

If I buy a classic "E" Type Jag (I wish) should I expect to pay more for a rusty original or a fully restored one. No-one says a rusty car is better because it is original so why is this not the case with air rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post

If I buy a classic "E" Type Jag (I wish) should I expect to pay more for a rusty original or a fully restored one. No-one says a rusty car is better because it is original so why is this not the case with air rifles?
    Every one to their own so to speak, but i agree with you i would sooner have a professional finish to my guns rather than a rust and pitted item
    and i know which one would sell first to the bloke down the road.( the best looking one) But the same argument would apply when looking for a lady friend.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post

It's always puzzled me too!

I'd rather see a nicely refinished item than a rusty one!

I saw a Bonehill Britannia at Melbourne that was stunningly refinished, It was £1200 so I think the price was up there but I must say, It was nicer than any other i'd ever seen and I reckon the blueing was 1000% better than it would have been when it left the factory!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    It's always puzzled me too!

I'd rather see a nicely refinished item than a rusty one!

I saw a Bonehill Britannia at Melbourne that was stunningly refinished, It was £1200 so I think the price was up there but I must say, It was nicer than any other i'd ever seen and I reckon the blueing was 1000% better than it would have been when it left the factory!!

John
    Hello John,

The refinishing discussion will not doubt continue to rage on for years to come. I guess there will always be purist and non-purist collectors who have differing views on the subject. One thing they have in common though, is an appreciation of the the high build quality and sound engineering design of these older guns.

Regards

Brian