Thread: BSA rear sights

BSA rear sights

Hi, asking on here because it relates to older BSA air rifles, so it seemed the best place.

Does anyone know what the thread used for the windage adjuster on the sights fitted to mark 3/4 versions of Airsporters, Meteors & Mercury's was? The plastic version fixed with the roll pin to the raised lug on the barrel,

Thanks

Is the thread used that important?.

The windage adjuster bears against a tiny vertical plastic pin insert in the main body of the sight

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Not sure they are plastic - some sort of composite resin/alloy - nasty things, they have a tendancy to snap across the roll pin fixing hole as they are under constant tension from the spring - I had one break on my 'new' Mk5 in the box!
    Sorry, dont know about the thread size but it's likely to be a thread at that age!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

The stock and sight fixing screws of that era are two and four BA respectively.

That might be a pointer.

Thread size ?

I think it might be 6BA but I could be wrong !

Thanks for your replies, BA sounds a good possibility.
    I think the material they made them from was a polymer, rather than an alloy, but yes they do seem to break across there,

Cheers

Just stripped a sight, it is indeed 6BA, part of the 'body seems to have a slight ''indication'' of a thread, but the thread actually works on the small nylon peg pushed into the body. Hope this helps.
    ATVB
    abellringer

Ok, thanks, that's a great help confirming the thread size. That must be quite a resilliant little pin to take the thread, but then perhaps once the windage was set it wasn't usually moved much...not sure, but anyhow thanks for your help,
    cheers