Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a Chalk stick target - cheap! Clouds of chalk dust :D

How to make a Chalk stick target - cheap! Clouds of chalk dust :D

After seeing something similar at the last springer bash I thought I would throw one of these together. I made a couple of modifications in the form of spinners from Micah which are excellent. So now I have a simple cheap target that chucks out a shed load of chalk dust when you hit it and has a selection of 4 spinner sizes to keep me entertained as well! Loads of fun

Here's the video of how I made it and there is also a bit in the re of slow motion when the pellet hits the chalk - look at the cloud of dust!!

https://youtu.be/3SzCjBu0yGI
    Last edited by neil180; 22-06-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Thanks for sharing, looks good fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Thanks for sharing, looks good fun!
    Its a lot of fun!

Really enjoyed a session with it this after noon. I reckon tomorrow or at the weekend I will put it further out, use the spinners to get a nice solid zero and then see how much chalk dust I can make

Very good Neil.

Just one thought though, folks without a welder could use these to hold the pipe :-

https://www.bes.co.uk/15-mm-push-in-...MaAoHcEALw_wcB

All the best Mick

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Excellent video as usual Neil, thanks for posting. I recall seeing the one at the last Bash
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Excellent video as usual Neil, thanks for posting. I recall seeing the one at the last Bash
    yes! I had a thoroughly good time with it and thought that it looked like a pretty quick and easy thing to make. If you stick some spinners on the side like I have done you have got quite a nice little target range

Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    After seeing something similar at the last springer bash I thought I would throw one of these together. I made a couple of modifications in the form of spinners from Micah which are excellent. So now I have a simple cheap target that chucks out a shed load of chalk dust when you hit it and has a selection of 4 spinner sizes to keep me entertained as well! Loads of fun

Here's the video of how I made it and there is also a bit in the re of slow motion when the pellet hits the chalk - look at the cloud of dust!!

https://youtu.be/3SzCjBu0yGI
    Great target Neil, love it. If it was me I'd have a second tube next to the first, above a 6 or 7mm hole with red chalk for really tight shots, and maybe another hole on the other side with a small bell behind..
    It's made me want to make one!!
    Great thread & thanks for sharing.
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I like that Neil...

Ill be making myself one tomorrow at work.

Thank you
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Great target Neil, love it. If it was me I'd have a second tube next to the first, above a 6 or 7mm hole with red chalk for really tight shots, and maybe another hole on the other side with a small bell behind..
    It's made me want to make one!!
    Great thread & thanks for sharing.
    Rhys
    Nice idea - I may just stick another hole and pipe either side of the current one. Would be maybe an 8mm and a 10mm I reckon. Its challenging as it is so that would make it a beast!!

Nice idea - I may just stick another hole and pipe either side of the current one. Would be maybe an 8mm and a 10mm I reckon. Its challenging as it is so that would make it a beast!!
    Sounds great but you have to have one that's nearly impossible.. then it's totally epic when you do get it. It would also be easy to mount a bell behind a hole that goes between the a tube too.. I've been thinking bout it & I wondered about making a 20mm spinner with a hole in the middle and the chalk behind that so you have a spin if you hit it or if your bang on it goes through & hits the chalk..
    I can't figure the mechanical engineering to achieve this but it would be cool .

It's really good idea cramming lots of different targets like this into one plate, keeps things interesting & you don't need a massive backstop.
    I've just had another idea, there should be a "best home made target" competition at the bash's., Be good to keep some new ideas coming.
    Atb
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    The original one had an 8mm hole. We need one extra with a polo sized hole for the bash. It would complement the mints on the spinners

Pete
    Pete

Sounds great but you have to have one that's nearly impossible.. then it's totally epic when you do get it. It would also be easy to mount a bell behind a hole that goes between the a tube too.. I've been thinking bout it & I wondered about making a 20mm spinner with a hole in the middle and the chalk behind that so you have a spin if you hit it or if your bang on it goes through & hits the chalk..
    I can't figure the mechanical engineering to achieve this but it would be cool .

It's really good idea cramming lots of different targets like this into one plate, keeps things interesting & you don't need a massive backstop.
    I've just had another idea, there should be a "best home made target" competition at the bash's., Be good to keep some new ideas coming.
    Atb
    Rhys
    Just been thinking about your suggestion of a 6mm hole. If you are shooting a 22 that would only leave you .5 mm clearance! You would have to be bang on the mark for that one. Its only 1.5 mm clearance with a 177 - a proper beast of a target...

seriously tempted

Just been thinking about your suggestion of a 6mm hole. If you are shooting a 22 that would only leave you .5 mm clearance! You would have to be bang on the mark for that one. Its only 1.5 mm clearance with a 177 - a proper beast of a target...

seriously tempted
    If you got bored missing you could always drill it out to 6.5!!!
    I recon it's a winner, especially if it's with a couple of other easier size holes, I recon 6, 8 & 12mm would make a great combination, each with a different color chalk. It also makes it great for when your shooting really short distance like 10yrds in the garden.

If you got bored missing you could always drill it out to 6.5!!!
    I recon it's a winner, especially if it's with a couple of other easier size holes, I recon 6, 8 & 12mm would make a great combination, each with a different color chalk. It also makes it great for when your shooting really short distance like 10yrds in the garden.
    Even better, make a wider plate with 5,6,8,10 & 12mm holes & see if you can get 5 for 5 with a .177 (no real point in playing this game with a .22) starting at the biggest hole.., it'll turn you into a crack shot and be really challenging for even the PCP owners.
    You can have a penalty shoot out type game..
    I'm tempted to make one myself as it can be dead compact an fairly portable. Even just have the plate with holes drilled so you can screw it to a fence post & take it off when your done. I also thought you could use the chalk to colour the plate, a bit like les's bell target. Great for zeroing...
    I'm going to see my welder friend tomorrow!!!

Lightbulb

These targets are an awesome non polluting, self re-setting plinking idea at all ranges. I've been wanting something that doesn't need you to pick up the rubbish after. Thanks for the brain food Neil!!