Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squealing noise when filling s400

Quote Originally Posted by svendogg View Post
    It was reading just over 180bar on the rifle yesterday, shot down to 150, then from 150 down to 100 tonight. Guage on the bottle seemed to be about 150 too
    If your bottle is reading 200 then I would trust the bottle tho they can go tits too.

If your bottle says 200 and you fill to it wont go anymore then you should have 200 in it. If your rifle says 150 too.....?one of them is telling porkies

If you happen to know how many shots you can take before it dumps you can do a shot count to cionfirm it is 200 bar not 150 but I guess you do not know that information.

You can also take the bottle to the dive shop for a refill and ask them to check the guage readings on their rig and your bottle...
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

The gauge in the S400 series is a weak link in the mechanism, the join in the dog leg to the cylinder is a common source of a leak when the tiny o ring becomes brittle. Care has to be taken when replacing this o ring, too tight and it squashes down and prevents the air flow going up the stem into the gauge. Not tight enough and it leaks. I wonder how many gauges have been replaced unnecessarily due to problems with the 0 ring tension?

It seems to have filled ok when I tried again, so I'll just have to keep an eye on it, whether the fill nozzle hadn't sealed properly or something, don't know. Gonna put a little silicone grease on the fill point o rings later and just keep an eye on it. Thanks all

I had both a 400 and 510 and both gauged on the rifle were by about 40. I always went with the gauge on the bottle. I would have blown the seals on the rifle otherwise
    My 400 used to squeak too when filling

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    please don't get me wrong- but is filling a PCP from an air bottle new to you? If so this is what happened, to me and every air bottle virgin I know!

If you let the air in slowly ( as you should) you'll get to the point where the pressure going in is balanced by the pressure in the tank. It stops, so you think that's it, and assume your bottle is empty. It probably isn't. Take a deep breath and open the output valve from the bottle a little more. If I'm right after a slight pause the pressure in the receiving tank (your rifle) will gradually increase. Stop when you hit the pressure you need. This technique is useful as with care you can assess exactly how much pressure is in the rifle, I have a classic Titan FT rifle that doesn't have a gauge and I use the slow fill technique to check the rifle's air tank fill state.Slow is good sometimes!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Filling from a bottle isn't new, had a hatsan at44 before the s400 and filled that loads of times fine. Was just the squealing that worried me as it never happened with the hatsan

Quote Originally Posted by svendogg View Post
    Filling from a bottle isn't new, had a hatsan at44 before the s400 and filled that loads of times fine. Was just the squealing that worried me as it never happened with the hatsan
    Mines a squeeller to mate ive had no problems though

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas9784 View Post
    Mines a squeeller to mate ive had no problems though
    So is mine!
    Master Debater

All my PCP's have squeaked when being filled, I just presumed that was normal, I used a stirrup pump though so maybe it's different with a bottle...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Cool

[QUOTE=Murphy;7287540]So is mine! [/QUOTE

:

I thought something was up when i filled mine off the bottle as it never made a sound with the pump but nothing to worry about.