Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squealing noise when filling s400

Squealing noise when filling s400

Had my s400 about a week, only shot it twice, needed to refill as it was down to 100bar, connected my bottle, started to fill slowly. At about 150bar, I get a squeaking/ squealing noise, and it won't fill any higher. I had the connector on firmly and rotated 90 degrees to lock it. Held it while filling, loosely so as to not put pressure on it. What am I missing? O ring grease?

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    You will often get a squeal/squeak whilst filling, I do no matter how slowly I fill. Maybe your bottle only has 150bar left in it ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    You will often get a squeal/squeak whilst filling, I do no matter how slowly I fill. Maybe your bottle only has 150bar left in it ?
    Oh so that's what that noise is. I thought it was you getting your wallet out.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Noises are normal but if it's not hissing out anywhere at 150 then you only have 150 in the bottle.
    Master Debater

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    Oh so that's what that noise is. I thought it was you getting your wallet out.
    Oi !
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Sometimes mine squeals it's just the air flowing through a small hole very fast, a fraction less or fraction more on the valve normally stops it,

If it stops at 150bar then you only have 150bar of air left in the cylinder each time you fill the rifle the pressure in the cylinder drops because you let some air out and all it can do is equalise the pressure in the rifle with the pressure in the cylinder, that's basic physics.

What would be the best way to test the bottle pressure? I've got the best fittings qd connectors with the stopper in, can I just pressurise the hose? Will that tell me the bottle pressure on the guage? Is that safe?

Quote Originally Posted by svendogg View Post
    What would be the best way to test the bottle pressure? I've got the best fittings qd connectors with the stopper in, can I just pressurise the hose? Will that tell me the bottle pressure on the guage? Is that safe?
    The squeaking is due to the non-return valve in the gun resonating, at some pressures and flow rates. As mentioned above changing the flow rate may stop the squeak.
    As regards your bottle pressure if you have a gauge on the bottle it is probably more accurate than the gauge on the gun so always use the bottle gauge for filling and just treat the gun gauge as you might a fuel gauge in a car, know where you should fill up, as these tiny gauges are not exactly the most accurate things on the planet.
    If you have a "pressure test plug" simply fit it to the end of your hose and open the bottle valve, the gauge will show the pressure in the bottle. Remember to bleed the hose before attempting to remove the pressure test plug.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Fitted the test plug, hose pressurises to 200bar no problem. Bottle doesn't need refill then.....

OK so perhaps the gauge on the gun is faulty. When you gun gauge shows 150 your bottle gauge shows 200? I have replaced many leaky gauges over the years, I have also replaced "sticky" gauges that seem to be reasonably accurate up to a certain pressure then won't indicate any higher (possibly yours is like this) and gauges that show maybe 0 or even 100Bar when the gun is totally empty.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

It was reading just over 180bar on the rifle yesterday, shot down to 150, then from 150 down to 100 tonight. Guage on the bottle seemed to be about 150 too

If you brought it new then get it back to the rfd so they can check it over? If there bottle cant fill it then its the gun if therd bottle can fill it its your bottle?

Sounds like a fault in the rifle pressure release valve or maybe gunk in filler valve???
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

Just tried it again, really slowly. Slight squeak at one point but filled to 180bar no issues. Very strange. Grease the filler o rings with silicone grease?

Quote Originally Posted by svendogg View Post
    Just tried it again, really slowly. Slight squeak at one point but filled to 180bar no issues. Very strange. Grease the filler o rings with silicone grease?
    A slight smear will keep them in good condition, no need to overdo it it will only end up getting into the gun and too much can cause problems.

had it with both the 200 and 400. but that was with a logun and a brockock pump. i found the squeaking was my lungs.
    used to get it all the time with my pumps, nothing to worry about.
    best way to check the bottle, take it to a dive shop. might get a free fill.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.