Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Scales Not Returning To Zero - Replace ?

Lee Scales Not Returning To Zero - Replace ?

Rooting through old reloading kit and my Lee scales don't sit level when set on 0 grains. Its not out much - Is it acceptable to prop the front end up or put a bit of tape on the pan to get it right. Or should I get new scales ? The adjuster is set back as far as possible and I have cleaned any dust of them.

I never used these Lee scales in the past, but used to have a Lyman set that had a screw adjuster on the base to lift the end up to level the beam, which is why I asked.

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Rooting through old reloading kit and my Lee scales don't sit level when set on 0 grains. Its not out much - Is it acceptable to prop the front end up or put a bit of tape on the pan to get it right. Or should I get new scales ? The adjuster is set back as far as possible and I have cleaned any dust of them.

I never used these Lee scales in the past, but used to have a Lyman set that had a screw adjuster on the base to lift the end up to level the beam, which is why I asked.

Cheers
    Try this website for instructions http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/SA2056.pdf

Hope this helps

Jim

Hi Jim, Thanks for that - but I had already set it up but run out of adjustment on wheel.

Is the item you are putting the scale on level?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Is the item you are putting the scale on level?
    Yes not micrometer level, but pretty level. Its the fact its run out of adjustment on wheel that bothers me.

I had this problem with my RCBS scales. Turned out I'd managed to bend the bit of copper that works with the magnetic damper slightly out of line, not much but enough. Also check that the wire that holds the pan is not out of shape, it doesn't take much.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    I had this problem with my RCBS scales. Turned out I'd managed to bend the bit of copper that works with the magnetic damper slightly out of line, not much but enough. Also check that the wire that holds the pan is not out of shape, it doesn't take much.
    Thank you for info - these don't seem to have any copper but perhaps its time to retire them.
    Last edited by silva; 23-06-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Have you got the adjustable vernier poise set to zero? The brass adjuster usually has plenty of range unless you have the wrong pan or some such problem.

Hi, Thank you for your reply. Yes adjuster is at the maximum setting. I had started thinking about the pan too.
    Cheers

I would buy a RCBS 505 mate there lot better to use. Can pick one up used for about £50

The adjuster has a LOT of range to zero the scale, so I'll ask the daft question: Are you sure the ball bearing is in the "0" groove and not the "10"? Sorry, had to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy digital..... not charged you for this useful info

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    Buy digital..... not charged you for this useful info
    And THAT from a Yorkshireman!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sirmissalot View Post
    The adjuster has a LOT of range to zero the scale, so I'll ask the daft question: Are you sure the ball bearing is in the "0" groove and not the "10"? Sorry, had to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree, something completely out of whack here. Although I'm not a fan of the Lee scale they do work ok, the main gripe being they are just physically too small/light and the Vernier poise is very fiddly to adjust.

When set up and zeroed they are accurate and sensitive although the damping could be better.

Is there and chance of a photo of how you have it set up. I have 30-40 beam scales including a couple Lees so could swap a pan if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmissalot View Post
    And THAT from a Yorkshireman!!!!!
    Thank you kind sir