Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportsmatch GC2

Sportsmatch GC2

Looking for a Sportsmatch GC 2 Mk 3 or similar classic FT .177. Does anyone know if the Mk 1 is any less desirable over a Mk 2 or 3.
    Also any idea of relative values.
    Last edited by John RR; 23-06-2017 at 09:09 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by John RR View Post
    Looking for a Sportsmatch GC 2 Mk 3 or similar classic FT .177. Does anyone know if the Mk 1 is any less desirable over a Mk 2 or 3.
    Also any idea of relative values.
    Hi there was one for sale on here not so long ago. :-

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....61#post7200561
    Last edited by T 20; 24-06-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi there was one for sale on here not so long ago. :-

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....61#post7200561
    Thanks, I'm sorry I missed that one, it seemed to go for a very reasonable price compared with some of the listings from dealers.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    If I were after one - which I'm not, I already have one - I'd go for a MkII or MkIII. These variants have the ability to make sure you stay legal, whereas the MkI needs to be stripped to set the power.

Price: around £650 - £750 in a factory stock. MkIs at the lower end of that. If a Welham or Kobayashi stock, expect up to £1100 - £1250, depending on provenence. Check for recent service, either Dave Brayford or Sportsmatch. I use Dave - he loves them.

I believe Terry Doe's GC2 last changed hands around the £1350 mark, but that may just be bullcrap and beertalk.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    If I were after one - which I'm not, I already have one - I'd go for a MkII or MkIII. These variants have the ability to make sure you stay legal, whereas the MkI needs to be stripped to set the power.

Price: around £650 - £750 in a factory stock. MkIs at the lower end of that. If a Welham or Kobayashi stock, expect up to £1100 - £1250, depending on provenence. Check for recent service, either Dave Brayford or Sportsmatch. I use Dave - he loves them.

I believe Terry Doe's GC2 last changed hands around the £1350 mark, but that may just be bullcrap and beertalk.

Thanks Jerry, that information was most helpful. I will give SCR a call as I have heard that Sportsmatch have run out of some spares for this rifle. As a matter of interest which model do you have and how do you find it shoots with your prefered pellets
    Regards,
    John.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Thanks Jerry, that information was most helpful. I will give SCR a call as I have heard that Sportsmatch have run out of some spares for this rifle. As a matter of interest which model do you have and how do you find it shoots with your prefered pellets
    Regards,
    John.
    Mine is an earlyish MkII, s/no. 87. I believe the MkIs ran to high 70s or even early 80s serial nos. Currently dressed in a Paul Wilson stock, shoots very consistently with jsb 8.44 pellets. Bit of a thumb-breaker when operating it for a shot against a full charge, and I only fill to 200bar. Trigger is functional, but not great: not heavy, just a bit unpredictable at times.

Jerry

My 'Greasy Two' is serial no: 75 and has the 5 slots on the muzzle break which I have been told makes it a Mk 3.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks, I'm sorry I missed that one, it seemed to go for a very reasonable price compared with some of the listings from dealers.
    I had the pleasure of shooting Nurek's GC2, before it was sold. Lovely old horse it was, and the owner is fastidious about his guns.

I was tempted to buy it myself, while I had the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    My 'Greasy Two' is serial no: 75 and has the 5 slots on the muzzle break which I have been told makes it a Mk 3.

HTH
    Ian
    There seems to be a good deal of varying opinions as to how many of these guns were made in their corresponding Mk's.
    Does anyone know if are any official records kept anywhere.

There seems to be a good deal of varying opinions as to how many of these guns were made in their corresponding Mk's.
    Does anyone know if are any official records kept anywhere.
    To complicate matters even more I have another 'Greasy', a true left hander (stock and button) and that also has 5 slots in the muzzle break and that is numbered 25 !
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    I have a Mk1 (Mk2)number 25 in left hand serviced by Dave Brayford, was going to have it up upgraded to the Mk3 valving but decided to keep it as a true Mk1 (Mk2)
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    I have a Mk1 (Mk2)number 25 in left hand serviced by Dave Brayford, was going to have it up upgraded to the Mk3 valving but decided to keep it as a true Mk1 (Mk2)
    Thanks Gordon, I already have a Mk 1 no 18, right hand with Mk 3 valving. As a matter of interest Paul at Sportsmatch has told me there are no longer any Mk 3 bleed valves available.

Regards, John.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Thanks Gordon, I already have a Mk 1 no 18, right hand with Mk 3 valving. As a matter of interest Paul at Sportsmatch has told me there are no longer any Mk 3 bleed valves available.

Regards, John.
    Thanks for the info John , originaly when I asked Dave to service the rifle ,I asked about having the Mk3 valving, but he said leave it as a Mk1 . Bit less on number of shots and hard on the old thumb, but only for a couple of shots.
    I tend to fill it to about 180bar tis getting on a bit now ��
    Last edited by gordon; 02-07-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Regards, John.
    hi,

I believe there are only a few cylinders, barrels and the odd service part left. I bought up the last breech blocks, probes and complete trigger units to keep my old girls going.

Pete

Does anyone know if there was a internal difference between the flat and curved triggers on the GC2.
    Mine is a Mk 1 no 18 and has a curved trigger which I believe was an optional extra.