Thread: Mk1 Airsporter stock question

Mk1 Airsporter stock question

Hi. I've just come across a Mk1 Airsporter where the butt stock seems to be walnut but the forend side panels are beech. Were many made like this?

Mk1 Airsporter stock question

i'm sure i read somewhere they were made fom old school desks shortage of walnut

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    They did from time to time encounter many problems sourcing suitable walnut for the manufacture of their stocks and the diversity of walnut stocks quality etc is quite surprising, I have seen quite a few different types, indeed my own Mk1s vary greatly! At one time, the stocks were outsourced to Italy due to problems in supply. (the one piece ones)
    So no!- frankly I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case but it's more likely that a lighter or different type of walnut has been used for the forend 'forks' to that used for the actual Butt section - now that I have seen myself!

Not an expert - it's just what I have seen, read and heard (from different sources) over the years!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

3 piece stock

I have taken a pic of my 3 piece Mk 2 serial GD ( currently for sale ) that has quite a contrast in colour though I don't think any of it is beech.

Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    They did from time to time encounter many problems sourcing suitable walnut for the manufacture of their stocks and the diversity of walnut stocks quality etc is quite surprising, I have seen quite a few different types, indeed my own Mk1s vary greatly! At one time, the stocks were outsourced to Italy due to problems in supply. (the one piece ones)
    So no!- frankly I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case but it's more likely that a lighter or different type of walnut has been used for the forend 'forks' to that used for the actual Butt section - now that I have seen myself!

Not an expert - it's just what I have seen, read and heard (from different sources) over the years!

ASM
    I'm no expert either, but I've also seen quite a variety of colours (and therefore possibly woods) used on the three piece stocks.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I have one that's the same!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post

ASM
    Hi ASM

Mine are definitely beech, It has those little flecks that is common to beech (And a bit similar to oak)

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi ASM

Mine are definitely beech, It has those little flecks that is common to beech (And a bit similar to oak)

John
    Indeed John - it does look like beech in your picture - so maybe they did do this mix of types, most of the ones I have seen have been Walnut but I have seen some with different 'tones' used in the different parts of the stock on the 3 piece ones.
    All mine are different coulours but I believe they are all Walnut!

I think at times the factory just used what stocks of materials etc they had to do a production run - it's the same with the mechanical parts too!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

mk1 Airsporter

I have a couple that have a 1 piece stock