View Poll Results: Images?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

100 87.72%
  • No

14 12.28%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would this make a great Forum even better?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Would this make a great Forum even better?

Just an idea and one which I would value other members opinions on. Other forums allow you to upload images direct from your computer to the forum without using a hosting site (not just in the sales section as on the BBS). My question is would this make you more inclined to add pictures to your posts and do you think this would enhance the threads on the BBS,

It would be great to read your opinions and especially to hear from the Moderators as to what the rationale is being this not being able to be done at the moment.

Personally I think if you could more easily post pictures without going through a third party hosting site such a Photobucket it would make a great forum even better adding both more colour and variety of information.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Just an idea and one which I would value other members opinions on. Other forums allow you to upload images direct from your computer to the forum without using a hosting site (not just in the sales section as on the BBS). My question is would this make you more inclined to add pictures to your posts and do you think this would enhance the threads on the BBS,

It would be great to read your opinions and especially to hear from the Moderators as to what the rationale is being this not being able to be done at the moment.

Personally I think if you could more easily post pictures without going through a third party hosting site such a Photobucket it would make a great forum even better adding both more colour and variety of information.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    I may be wrong but I think it isn't allowed due to the performance hit the web server takes plus extra bandwidth required to download the images

Yes, I do think it's a good idea otherwise but also understand the concerns
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I believe the problem would be the added data storage cost and the policy here is to have moderators validate the photos before making them visible would mean more work for them.

That said, I agree about "adding both more colour and variety of information". You do that by allowing individuals to embed images in posts, so that you don't have to click on a link to see them. Makes for a much richer experience. When I asked some time ago about this it wasn't understood that there would be no bandwidth implications because the images would be hosted on an external website.

This is where this forum is being left behind and must be a reason why other people are defecting to other forums.

Definitely not a gripe at the mods or the owner - just being constructive - even willing to offer my services free as a software engineer to consult and make this happen. Although I think it's just some setting in the forum software to turn on...

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I may be wrong but I think it isn't allowed due to the performance hit the web server takes plus extra bandwidth required to download the images
    Is the correct answer.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Is the correct answer.
    So what additional costs would be incurred out of interest?. I now other sites have the facility to easily make a voluntary donation by Paypal, with a visible tally of donations made each month. Has this been considered if additional funds are required?. Maybe if such a scheme was implemented members that contributed on a voluntary basis could be allocated a higher number of stored private messages or something similar?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Just my tuppence, if there are serious cost concerns in this day and age, perhaps the hosting service providers need to be replaced. Today storage space costs a pittance, and bandwidth usage likewise, so these issues are hardly relevant, but I am sure there may be local service providers offering "old skool" rip off rates to those who tend to not shop around. I use Dathorn, $13.50 per month and enough of everything to host possibly 20 of these very busy sites, images and all, let alone just one.

And very reliable have been with them for years, don't remember the last outage, or need to open a ticket.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

It may have something to do with the concern over the nature of photographs uploaded on a shooting forum? The bandwidth issue does not seem like a logical argument in these day and age.

A.G

Photobucket has become virtually unusable in my opinion, in the last year or so, and I just don't bother with any threads that point to such photo links. So, yes I do believe the forum loses out to its competitors by not having the facility.

Even FB allows the user to upload images and there are millions and millions of FB users - what about their bandwidth, they seem to cope.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    What about just allowing showing the photos from hosting sites rather than click linking to them?

Would this have no issues on storage/speed for the site?

IMG/IMG brackets?
    Master Debater

What's would you upload? Being that this is a shooting forum that does not allow pictures of animals.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    What's would you upload? Being that this is a shooting forum that does not allow pictures of animals.
    Readers wives holding guns with a black bar over their eyes.
    Master Debater

Pictures of equipment, shooting competitions, target cards, all sorts. I have about 200 uploads of shooting photos with not a single animal shot amongst them on Imgur.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    If its the bandwidth cost I would be happy to co-sponsor the forum via TbT.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Photobucket has become virtually unusable in my opinion, in the last year or so, and I just don't bother with any threads that point to such photo links. So, yes I do believe the forum loses out to its competitors by not having the facility.

Even FB allows the user to upload images and there are millions and millions of FB users - what about their bandwidth, they seem to cope.
    Totally agree with you about photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Readers wives holding guns with a black bar over their eyes.
    Awwwwww yeahhhhhhh!!