Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To screwcut or not to screwcut???

To screwcut or not to screwcut???

As title.
    What are the advantages of screwcutting? The overall length of the rifle increases without any increase in efficiency. With a screwcut barrel you can easily use a slip on moderator and reduce overall length.
    SO........
    Why bother to have a barrel screwcut??
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

More choice of silencer's I guess. You are not resricted to barrel diameter like you would be with a slip on version.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at, when you screwcut a barrel you don't affect it, it's all on the outside not the bore. As noted it does give you what's effectively become a bit of a standard fitment,, the 1/2" unf thread, & if done properly should be a pretty positive lock up. I've come across one or two slip ons that were very poor that way leading to clipping etc.

Unless, say, a front sight assy means that there is very little barrel for a slip on to secure to, I too don't see the point with an air rifle, but of course with a powder burner the pressures will dictate otherwise. The shoulder of the thread, or the muzzle face, and the corresponding contact part on the silencer will also need to be 100% because that is where the alignment will come from, also if the moderator comes undone just a little bit it will become misaligned.

The flipside is easier tool free removal but I'm not sure of the importance of this, may be to some.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at, when you screwcut a barrel you don't affect it, it's all on the outside not the bore.
    Some people say it can relax the choke.
    Master Debater

If the barrel is to be screwcut then the bore of the gun SHOULD have been trued up in an independent four jaw chuck on the lathe and then screwcut, and not relied on the outside diameter of the barrel being concentric to the bore (they never are) and even so called "quality" barrels can have horrendous eccentricity errors relative to the bore. O.k, so the barrels are gun reamed, but even they can run off centre when going through 16" plus of barrel length. Ergo, slip over moderators may not be concentric to the gun bore.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    That's a new one on me?

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    That's a new one on me?
    Stress relief, rare, but not unheard of.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    This is why lots of .22lr target rifles are relieved for most of their length other than at the foresight portion. The larger diameter end retains its bore size whilst the relieved portion expands as the simple act of machining away the diameter stress relieves it hence making it "relax" and expand very slightly.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

If its a brake barrel i would go for a good quality push on fit like the V-Mach slimtec , i have found with screw on silencer if your loading it often like plinking or like me shooting though a chrono they keep coming loose.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    As title.
    What are the advantages of screwcutting? The overall length of the rifle increases without any increase in efficiency. With a screwcut barrel you can easily use a slip on moderator and reduce overall length.
    SO........
    Why bother to have a barrel screwcut??
    How does cutting a thread increase the length ?

Screw cutting hugely increases the choice of mod, as very few come as push-on, & any over barrel length of a slip on is fixing rather than space to moderate so they tend to be a bit longer resulting in the same overall length of rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    How does cutting a thread increase the length ?

Screw cutting hugely increases the choice of mod, as very few come as push-on, & any over barrel length of a slip on is fixing rather than space to moderate so they tend to be a bit longer resulting in the same overall length of rifle.
    I'm surprised at your confusion. It clearly doesn't increase the length of the BARREL but the overall length of the RIFLE except in cases where reflex mods are used. My original post refers to overall length not barrel length.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I'm surprised at your confusion. It clearly doesn't increase the length of the BARREL but the overall length of the RIFLE except in cases where reflex mods are used. My original post refers to overall length not barrel length.
    I suspected that but replied to what was actually written

A good example would be the usual weihrauch mod, if you place the slip on next to the screw on they use the same chamber,
    but where the screw on has a 15mm solid taper end with the thread in it, the slip-on needs a much longer solid (iirc about 60mm) to provide enough support against the barrel, so the mod is longer to provide the same addition to the overall length of the rifle.

In simple terms inch for inch the screw thread is by far the strongest & most effective temporary attachment method yet invented.

I had Phil at Ratworks cut a thread and re-crown the barrel on my S200. Absolutely hate using adapters as they come lose after a while and look too much like an after thought which they are, they serve their purpose for some but for me opting for a thread being cut into a barrel makes the rifle look better aesthetically and OE.

Fitting an adaptor on to an non screw cut barrel will add more length than screw cutting will . Only a few mm at most mind you.

The above will count if your are using an adaptor on a skinny barrel .