View Poll Results: Images?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

100 87.72%
  • No

14 12.28%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would this make a great Forum even better?

I too think that the posting of inappropriate images isn't an issue.

I have been a mod on another very popular car related forum for 10 years. Part of that forum has a "Way off Topic" section where anything non car related is discussed and whilst there are spats and arguments sometimes the posting of images has never been a problem.

I have signed up to the Webley and Air Pistol Enthusiast groups on Facebook and posting photographs there is common and easy. There has been no mention of difficulties by the mods there and the only problem is people posting for sale threads (FB do not allow) and that, of course, does not apply here.

Go on - give it a go. I won't be leaving if it doesn't happen as this is the best site but it would add a refreshing new dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It might be a crude filter, but could it be set up so that a member with say 1,000 posts is assumed to know how to behave, and those newer members would have their photo posts moderated?

The 1,000 threshold might be far too limiting; it's just the principle I'm trying to illustrate.

Of course, admin could always give or deny photo rights as an over-ride in individual cases.

When longer-serving members have pushed their luck a step too far in the past, I don't recall it ever being about photos posted.
    Didn't carter get banned for posting a link to pics?

Post # 14 http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....=Carter+banned

I didn't think of that one; I wasn't a follower of his threads, particularly.

Even so, I dare say that is the exception.

It should be quite easy for admin to get the measure of which members are likely to be difficult in this regard, and block the permission.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I didn't think of that one; I wasn't a follower of his threads, particularly.

Even so, I dare say that is the exception.

It should be quite easy for admin to get the measure of which members are likely to be difficult in this regard, and block the permission.
    All it takes is a drunken member and they post loads of obscene or stupid pics.

Then you have a moderator spending ages to delete them like they do with too many posts as it is.

Then you get people that link to meme 's or pics instead of typing a reply. Could you imagine posts full of stupid pics of those types of replies instead of typed replies?

There is a post in this section where two long standing posters have circumvented the swear filter in that post . Is that not one of the current rules ? If they can't abide by the current ones ,will they abuse by a new pic posting rule ?

March is offline Kind, benevolent, drives a Lamborghini
    This forum could be better. If the forum members, donate to the forum. On a subscription , £6 a year.

If members , subscribe to this In a year. It would be a good yield, to pay for admin and moderators on here.

And of course the running of the site. With the proceeds left In the pot , there could be a prize draw every month . For the supporter's to have a chance to win something. I know this could be a win - win situation for all involved.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

Then you have a moderator spending ages to delete them like they do with too many posts as it is.

Then you get people that link to meme 's or pics instead of typing a reply. Could you imagine posts full of stupid pics of those types of replies instead of typed replies?

There is a post in this section where two long standing posters have circumvented the swear filter in that post . Is that not one of the current rules ? If they can't abide by the current ones ,will they abuse by a new pic posting rule ?

If a minority of members display the idiotic behaviour you suggest they should be dealt with appropriately. Lets face it members can already post obscene or stupid pictures by using any number of picture hosting sites.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Sorry but I just don't see the need one HW30 looks pretty much like the next one, & 9/10 of "custom target stocks" are ugly slabs (IMHO )

If you're desperate to show off whatever it is then the current system allows you to put up the link, where those that want to can look & those that aren't interested can skip it.

If a photo can just be attached I can't help thinking that those members who already seem to love posting inane, pointless pictures off the net as "humour" will swamp every thread with them, If it is allowed then there should be a strict limit on how many pictures a member can have active.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    If a minority of members display the idiotic behaviour you suggest they should be dealt with appropriately. Lets face it members can already post obscene or stupid pictures by using any number of picture hosting sites.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    True .they can but you won't see the obscene pic unless you click the link

If you can post direct to the page it's there with out clicking the link.

Seen people saying a few times that they have opened a link that was not safe for younger ears or eyes. Now imagine your browsing a page and an obscene pic comes up and the kids are looking towards the screen.

I'm not saying it should not be thought about but ALL scenarios must be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Sorry but I just don't see the need one HW30 looks pretty much like the next one, & 9/10 of "custom target stocks" are ugly slabs (IMHO )

If you're desperate to show off whatever it is then the current system allows you to put up the link, where those that want to can look & those that aren't interested can skip it.

If a photo can just be attached I can't help thinking that those members who already seem to love posting inane, pointless pictures off the net as "humour" will swamp every thread with them, If it is allowed then there should be a strict limit on how many pictures a member can have active.
    As I said above. There is a few members on here that post links to pics rather than typing a reply .

Do the mods ban these members from posting pics? OK it may work but then there will be posts saying " how come he gets to post pics, but I can't? "

It happens already .some members think others can stretch the boundaries more than others and have a hissy fit about it.

Dodgy picture posters simply get their permission switched off.
    vBulletin Admin CP already supports it.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Didn't carter get banned for posting a link to pics?

Post # 14 http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....=Carter+banned
    Yes- which simply proves that the controls already in place work.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Some members type out an essay instead of a reply.

Should we think about limiting replies to 160 characters like twitter?

Yes.
    I have belonged to this Telecaster forum http://www.tdpri.com/forums/ for many years. You can upload images, embed YouTube links, like posts etc.
    It's free but you can contribute. Commercial members can pay to have "vendor" status. It's a well-run and interesting site. The YouTube links have been very useful in fact. Any silliness is soon stamped on, as is personal attacks/political extremism/racial abuse.

Even my old faithful USA forum The Amp Garage http://ampgarage.com/forum/index.php has been upgraded from its ancient phpBB version and allows images/video links.

For those of us that live in the back of beyond and already suffer with slow speeds, pictures will also slow the system even further.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    For those of us that live in the back of beyond and already suffer with slow speeds, pictures will also slow the system even further.
    Those slow speeds haven't stopped you making almost 20,000 posts. If you exercised a bit of restraint, perhaps the system would speed up.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.