Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope cushioning?

Scope cushioning?

I just wondered if anyone does this, not to alleviate running out of adjustment but to prevent metal to metal contact. If you notice, some mounts like Hawke and Nikko have small strips of soft adhesive tape within the rings but I find it always leaves a messy residue so I have been removing this and using ordinary pvc electrical insulation tape. If this is acceptable, is there anything to be aware of? Such as how much of the ring inner to cover either all of it or just half.

cushioning

I used to do this many years ago

I also used to see my hw80 slide the scope out if the mounts in the summer.

once I joined a club the error of my ways was pointed out from the clubs learned secretary and gunsmith

I forget how many new members guns suffering accuracy problems I have seen him take the scope off whilst mumbling "lets get that c**p out of there for a start " out comes his craft knife. this is then scraped off and cleaned with isopropyl. Rings back on with a couple of folds of tin foil in the rear. Job done.The scopes then dont come off until the shooter outgrows it.

As the tape warms it will allow the scope to shift - a pice of tape absorbs none of the energy from recoil (which I guess your trying to insulate it from.

metal to metal contact is best. No zero shift in hot conditions - true you will get marks from the rings but as long as your not crimping the scope its not going to affect resale value.

the only way to dampen the scope that I know of is the dampa mount made by sportsmatch ut this works using rubber bushes under the rings.

Hope this helps

John

p.s will be interesting to see what others do.

i
    Last edited by jdwynn1976; 25-06-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Take the tape out and leave it out.

Torque up the mounts correctly and your scope won't move. If the mounts are marking your scope, you need better mounts.
    I've found the Hawke mounts aren't bad when you remove that horrible sticky stuff, but Sportsmatch are good and relatively cheap too.

Portzy,

I always use BKL mounts from the USA, and for me, they are most excellent.

Unfortunately, BKL mounts are p!ss-takingly priced in the UK

I get mine form Optics Warehouse :

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pr...l-scope-mounts

Personally, I would rather use angled-mounts in preference to using packing material in the rear mount, but that is my preference.

However, for you, do what you need to

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

I'd forget any kind of cushioning. The mounts that come with cushioning in already go in the bin for me.
    Better to buy quality mounts and as a priority smooth the cycle of the rifle out if you feel it's harsh
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    I just wondered if anyone does this, not to alleviate running out of adjustment but to prevent metal to metal contact. If you notice, some mounts like Hawke and Nikko have small strips of soft adhesive tape within the rings but I find it always leaves a messy residue so I have been removing this and using ordinary pvc electrical insulation tape. If this is acceptable, is there anything to be aware of? Such as how much of the ring inner to cover either all of it or just half.
    Anything soft enough to "cushion" the scope is also potentially soft enough to allow the scope to move while mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Portzy,

I always use BKL mounts from the USA, and for me, they are most excellent.

Unfortunately, BKL mounts are p!ss-takingly priced in the UK

I get mine form Optics Warehouse :

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pr...l-scope-mounts

Personally, I would rather use angled-mounts in preference to using packing material in the rear mount, but that is my preference.

However, for you, do what you need to

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ
    Hi Russ
    Do the BKL mount sizes tally with our lows mediums Highs,or being American do they have their own differences??

Cheers mate
    Pierre.

Quote Originally Posted by DESERT FOX View Post
    Hi Russ
    Do the BKL mount sizes tally with our lows mediums Highs,or being American do they have their own differences??

Cheers mate
    Pierre.
    Just happen to have a set of sportsmatch high and a set of BKL high by the side of me. The BKL are a fraction higher. Be very careful if ordering a one piece BKL medium mount. It may well foul the turret body of the scope. I only use high mounts
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Just happen to have a set of sportsmatch high and a set of BKL high by the side of me. The BKL are a fraction higher. Be very careful if ordering a one piece BKL medium mount. It may well foul the turret body of the scope. I only use high mounts
    Cheers for the info..

Have been known to apply a single layer of electrical tape to the rings i.e. cut two rectangular pieces and affix to the rings. No drawbacks noted! Scope remains totally unmarked.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Thanks for your replies guys, i'm not trying to overcome alignment problems, I'm just trying to prevent metal to metal contact and marking the scope. I think I will try leaving the tape off and use a scrap scope as an experiment, then and see what transpires.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Have been known to apply a single layer of electrical tape to the rings i.e. cut two rectangular pieces and affix to the rings. No drawbacks noted! Scope remains totally unmarked.
    I do exactly the same and have no movement issues(and no marking issues), although I only use Sportsmatch mounts now and sometimes use racing bike cloth handlebar tape which will allow a scope to bed into it. I pack my rear scope mount too for trajectory reasons. I think I get a slight gain on longer targets but maybe its less than I think. And I have never crimped a scope yet or had movement issues.

It probably helps that I am an engineer and I am used to tightening bolts to set torques, and I am not too heavy handed.I have seen a lot of over tightened scopes lately which makes me cringe, as the scope has little value when that happens.

Any residue from any taped mounts are easily cleaned up with WD40 on a cloth.
    BASC

Do top HFT shooters lap their scope rings in?

Mount marks are annoying but come with the game.
    Quality of mounts help but with soft aluminium tubes anything that going to hold is going to mark.
    PCP Riles are difficult because they really don't need the scope bolted down hard. Having said that I do anyhow.
    Aluminium foil or 35mm film can be used at a push.

If you switch scopes about then use a Picatinney system on all your rifles.

I now buy the right scope for the rifle combo and that scopes lives with the rifle for its life. Same with mounts which is why I use Leupold as often as not; sometimes Nightforce. Less expensive combos the Leapers or Sportsmatch but I then expect marks or fit once and leave it. Choosing the right scope is the tricky bit. Once found get the hight to match the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Mount marks are annoying but come with the game.
    Quality of mounts help but with soft aluminium tubes anything that going to hold is going to mark.
    PCP Riles are difficult because they really don't need the scope bolted down hard. Having said that I do anyhow.
    Aluminium foil or 35mm film can be used at a push.

If you switch scopes about then use a Picatinney system on all your rifles.

I now buy the right scope for the rifle combo and that scopes lives with the rifle for its life. Same with mounts which is why I use Leupold as often as not; sometimes Nightforce. Less expensive combos the Leapers or Sportsmatch but I then expect marks or fit once and leave it. Choosing the right scope is the tricky bit. Once found get the hight to match the rifle.
    Hi Muskett hope you are well matey, but, I think your'e seriously over tightening your mounts then.

I have never marked a scope, and I am often changing scopes and have probably had 50+ scoped guns over the years, I have just counted 12 scoped guns I have at the moment. Mount marks are not inevitable but they must be tightened evenly and carefully, and I even pack my rear mounts with a piece of business card every time in the bottom. I have used all sorts of mounts but now stick to Sportsmatch double width.

I have tried and competed with over twenty five different scopes over the last ten years alone, and hunted with scopes for 30 years before that . I am currently running Leupold Mk4's for HFT, but own quite a few Burris scopes, Sightrons, Hawkes and Old Tascos mainly. The old gloss Tascos do mark the paint slight sometimes but thats all.

I am surprised by how many people bring guns to me and say its shooting all over the place and dont know why, and it's usually the scope is mounted badly, and usually over tighted as well, and then ask me what is wrong with the gun? Usually the gaps are uneven and the scope cross hobbled and twisted. and the scope is nearly always crimped.

If anyone is marking scopes then they need to consider investing in a torque wrench, it will save you a lot of money. Or just remember never use the long end of an allen key to tighten any mounts up, that's whether you mount with or without anything in your mounts.
    BASC