Not too bad, just trying to get over a hurdle or two. How is my ProSport?

Yes I am guilty as charged. Mainly because I spend a good amount of time ensuring I choose the right scope to match the rifle. Spend time setting it all up perfectly. Once perfect it gets a zero. Once double checked it gets a hard bolt down and then zeroed again. Then I leave them alone. The hard bolt down from my military past, soldier proofing
Three of my rifles haven't had to have a movement of scope ever. A 308, Anschutz .22LR and a .177. They are zeroed to a batch of factory and it takes a really big reason to change a click. These will probably have the same scope for the life of the rifle. One is 25 years old, another 12 and one 8. All tac drive.

Good mounts matter. Time setting things up is important and the final crunch done when sure.

Now I know thats not the best advice for many.
There are heaps of scopes with soft tube coatings that mark by just looking at them. There are some very soft and thin aluminium tubes too. The quality of mounts isn't always what they are cracked up to be. Rifle mounting gives can be very shallow. Loads to go horribly wrong. Springers and scope creep is a real problem and requires some study if not some Locktight.

I've had a few hundred scopes go by me. 20% failure before getting to me. I agree plenty of people crunching them. I've only destroyed a few scopes myself, or just failed on me.

For PCP's there is no reason to bolt them on, just fit with the correct tork.
When torking do in the correct order and evenly. Hand pressure only and feel what is going on. If the hex is flexing then thats loads. Do not use grunt nor power tools.
With Picatinny its important to fit the rings to the scope than to the rail first, well before tightening to the rail. I like Leupold rings, but follow how they are designed to be fitted.
I never let a shop fit my scopes. I invest plenty of time to set them up perfectly, and search high and low for the correct rings to match the combo. I'm pretty annal about it.

I agree that there is no need to damage scopes and with some thought it shouldn't happen. If you like swopping and switching scopes then take others advice and see if you can find an approach that doesn't mark. Do invest in good mounts and match them well to the scope, with luck they should ever have to come off the scope. Just annoying when a rifle has a different set to everything else.

Big subject and all part of the hobby. Take your time, and don't force anything. Something that should be easy isn't quite.