Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30mm low mounts?

30mm low mounts?

Can anyone point me in the direction of 30mm low mounts?

Thanks.
    BSA Meteor .22 - the mans calibre

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn. View Post

Thanks.
    I don't think they exist for dovetail.. could be there isn't enough metal between the rail & bottom of the scope to allow them to be made. I'm pretty sure you can get picattiny rings in 30mm though
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

You can create a set of ultra low 30mm mounts by buying a set of high SportsMatch type and sending them to ISP Air Rifles with details of which rail you want them to fit.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Thanks.
    Think I have a new set in my stock with an adapter rail to take them down to a standard dovetail. Will look later and send a PM.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thanks.
    Hi Lyn, what type of shooting are you doing to warrent such low mounts?

I have a set of low 30mm mounts at home but not sure what make /model they are.

I found a long post on Shooting the Breeze where the HFT shooters were discussing this. I don't mind measuring mine for you on thurs evening but i suspect they are the TO35C mounts.
    Sportsmatch TO35C
    http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...Bto35c%5D.html

If the low mounts ARE for HFT shooting then you might be interested to know that quite a few of the top HFT shooters are moving to medium or even high mounts. I've always used my low 30mm mounts but only a few weeks ago changed scopes and decided to go to medium mounts. All my aim points for 8,10,15,20,25,30,35 yards stayed exactly the same but the 40,45,50 and 55 yard aim points were a tiny bit flatter. Seemed a little bit balistically illogical to me as i would have expected my 25 yard aim point to be much higher. Anyhoo first time out last Sunday and a 57 with that set up. If you do decide on trying the TO35C Sportsmatch mounts and struggle to find some (the first few sites i looked at were out of stock) then i'm happy to post mine to you for you to try and see if they work, if they do then at least you'll know without spending your hard earned and then you can just return them.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Thanks Gents.

Craig,

Didn't know that, sounds like a few quid though!

Baz,

Thanks, but that'll surely keep the same scope height?

Chris,

Yes, my lad is going to try HFT with a 10x44 Viper and an S400 and in my wisdom, I thought I'd help with the closer targets by dropping the scope. Maybe let him just him shoot and don't be an interfering dad!
    BSA Meteor .22 - the mans calibre

Thanks Gents.

Craig,

Didn't know that, sounds like a few quid though!

Baz,

Thanks, but that'll surely keep the same scope height?

Chris,

Yes, my lad is going to try HFT with a 10x44 Viper and an S400 and in my wisdom, I thought I'd help with the closer targets by dropping the scope. Maybe let him just him shoot and don't be an interfering dad!
    Hi, When people are talking about the mounts they need for HFT i would say that it depends on the targets they miss. If it's the long range stuff then higher mounts might help as it reduces the need for super accurate range finding past 40 yards, if the misses are the closer 15mm kills then low mounts will help with that. Don't stop giving your lad advice as he'll need it initially and then start to work it out for himself. I was sponsored by MTC for a long time and shot the older model 10x44 Viper for almost a decade. i only stopped as deteriorating eyesight meant i needed better optics. The S400 and Viper are a great combo as i shot exactly that for a while before switching to Steyr. I think it's great that you're trying to help out and like nothing better than seeing families shooting together.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.

Found them. 30mm rings on reducer rail, brand new. See pic, Sending PM.

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

BKL do 'low' 30mm mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by trs1 View Post
    bkl do 'low' 30mm mounts.
    bkl 304.

Have some 30mm low single strap, see below.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL196.../413435272.jpg
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Hi Lyn, what type of shooting are you doing to warrent such low mounts?

I have a set of low 30mm mounts at home but not sure what make /model they are.

I found a long post on Shooting the Breeze where the HFT shooters were discussing this. I don't mind measuring mine for you on thurs evening but i suspect they are the TO35C mounts.
    Sportsmatch TO35C
    http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...Bto35c%5D.html

If the low mounts ARE for HFT shooting then you might be interested to know that quite a few of the top HFT shooters are moving to medium or even high mounts. I've always used my low 30mm mounts but only a few weeks ago changed scopes and decided to go to medium mounts. All my aim points for 8,10,15,20,25,30,35 yards stayed exactly the same but the 40,45,50 and 55 yard aim points were a tiny bit flatter. Seemed a little bit balistically illogical to me as i would have expected my 25 yard aim point to be much higher. Anyhoo first time out last Sunday and a 57 with that set up. If you do decide on trying the TO35C Sportsmatch mounts and struggle to find some (the first few sites i looked at were out of stock) then i'm happy to post mine to you for you to try and see if they work, if they do then at least you'll know without spending your hard earned and then you can just return them.
    Hi Chris.

I was listening to a conversation last week about the med/high mounts for hft but I could not grasp the concept for the life of me.

Could you please explain it a little more for a simpleton like me or post a link to it on the STB forum?

Many thanks.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger21 View Post
    Have some 30mm low single strap, see below.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL196.../413435272.jpg
    Shame they don't do the same for 25mm mounts..
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    Hi Chris.

I was listening to a conversation last week about the med/high mounts for hft but I could not grasp the concept for the life of me.

Could you please explain it a little more for a simpleton like me or post a link to it on the STB forum?

Many thanks.

Charlie
    Hi Charlie, Around 5 years ago or so there was an arms race to try and get the lowest mounts possible for HFT with Rick Arden’s being the ones as they were made to fit each rifles rail. I had a set for my Steyr and they were soooo low.
    If you think about the trajectory of a .177 pellet travelling at approx 775fps and the scope zeroed at 35 yards then usually the primary zero would be 15 yards (pellet strikes target on the crosshair) and the secondary zero (pellet strikes target on the crosshair) would be at 35 yards with the highest point of travel for the pellet being 25 yards. Obviously the main aim in HFT is to get a trajectory that is as flat as possible within the constraints of 12ft/lb.
    If you use low mounts then the scope sight line is closer to the barrel which would make for a lower POI at 25 yards, this is a positive if you find that you are having particular problems with 15mm kills in the 20/25 yard area but a negative as your drop at 40 and 45 yards would now be increased (more hold over required) and your POI for sub 15 yards 15mm kills would also increase (more hold under required).
    If you use High mounts then the scope sight line is higher and further away from the barrel which would make for a Higher POI at 25 yards, this is a negative if you find that you are having particular problems with 15mm kills in the 20/25 yard area but a positive as your drop at 40 and 45 yards would now be decreased (less hold over required) and your POI for sub 15 yards 15mm kills would also decrease (less hold under required). That’s why medium mounts appear to give a satisfactory middle ground as HFT is all about compromise.
    The rules above work for most set ups but it can vary from scope to scope and with the mounts used. For example, I’ve always used a set of quite low mounts but recently dropped a 10x42 Sightron onto medium mounts to see what would happen. I zeroed at 35 yards and added a few extra clicks to give me approx. 37 yard zero, I do this is it means I don’t need to be too accurate with my range finding for 25mm kills at 35 to 40 yards. I then checked my aim points and was surprised to see that it had made a decent set up for HFT.
    Normally on low mounts I would find that 16 and 37 were my primary and secondary zero’s with 40 yards being under the ¼ mildot mark and the 45 under the ½ mildot mark. My 13 yard mark would be ½ mildot , 10 yards 1 mildot and 8 yards being 2 mildots.
    Now, with the medium mounts my primary and secondary zero’s are 15 and 37 yards (which is surprising) with 40 being ¼ mildot and 45 being ½ mildot. No surprises there that the slightly higher mounts lifted to a longer range POI giving me a flatter long range trajectory. The real shocker was that the 20,25 and 30 yards aim points stayed the same and all the sub 15 yard ranges were exactly the same as they were with low mounts fitted. I did check the power level of the rifle as my findings made me think the power was up….but no and a nice, consistent 775/780 ish fps.

This is a total sod to try and explain textually, a couple of simple line drawings would make it much easier to understand.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 28-06-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks very much Chris for going to such a length to explain. It is clear and understandable and has helped me decide what mounts to get next and how to set the rifle.