Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: hunting 5 lp50

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Not being miserable of anything - but I think I'd prefer the biathlon-cocking H5 Scout, myself.
    Yes.. I agree, I don't think I'd trust myself to not forget the rifle had indexed.

In fact, I feel I could almost sell my R10 & daystate for one in .20 .....,

I'd have to have a bit of an extended play with tinnys just to make sure.....
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Not being miserable of anything - but I think I'd prefer the biathlon-cocking H5 Scout, myself.
    I would take you round my permission if i could you would see why semi auto i mean self indexing would be an advantage

If it had indexed and you were now not going to take the shot just press the catch under the mag and release it. Out it pops, pellets and all, gun entirely safe.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I would take you round my permission if i could you would see why semi auto i mean self indexing would be an advantage
    Years ago when the first two-shot rifles came in, the selling point was the desirability for a hunter to have a back-up shot in case of a fluffed kill. The Hunting 5 has one or more in reserve at half a second interval, apart from the last pellet, of course.

I've shot a Steyr Hunting 5A, and it is very different to a bolt action, I found it important to relearn my use of the safety catch compared to when using a bolt action air rifle that is 'safe' after you take a shot. Also you've got remember to decock the self indexing action after the last shot of a session by pulling the trigger.
    Great fun though with loads more target shooting formats available from the 5 rapid shots without even breaking shooting position.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    That's good of you. But I reckon this kind of action would be fast enough for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQGIGGBbGsU

That's good of you. But I reckon this kind of action would be fast enough for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQGIGGBbGsU
    Agreed , id do a lot of static shooting prone out to 50 yds i tend not to use hides just natural cover and a bit of camo netting so not having to move other than pulling the trigger would be an advantage
    it also just pushes the advantages of the styer over pulsar for me and its a hell of a lot of money so i want something very special
    concerning the safety side of self indexing my main hunting gun for years was a10/22 ruger so im well disciplined

My past position on this remains the same as it has been since the issue was first raised: Semi-auto rifled airguns (and I think there is no distinction between semi-auto and self-loading) were unintentionally caught up in previous legislation. Semi-auto airguns were rare at the time and those who drafted the legislation were uninformed and lacked the curiousity that a legislator needs. Hence, semi-auto airguns were effectively banned. But the issue of later guidance by the Home Office and tolerance by the authorities of the open sale of these items meant that a prosecution might have failed or been subject to judicial review. Hence, this current ruling (an attempt to create a distinction between semi-auto and self-loading) is just a way of avoiding the embarassment of a failed prosecution. Shooters can breathe easy and continue to buy and use semi-auto rifled airguns just as they always have done. Hopefully we will see many new models on the market. They have many uses for competition and sport.
    Last edited by Powderfinger; 29-06-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo

Self indexing, self cocking, self loading, whats the difference?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Self indexing, self cocking, self loading, whats the difference?
    Do pay attention!

Self indexing is legal, self loading isn't!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Loading is the act of placing a round into the breech, in order to be fired.

The H5 does not place a round into the breech, except transiently when the shot is fired. The pellet stays in the mag until after you have pulled the trigger.

So if it does not place a round into the breech, ready for firing, it cannot by definition be self loading.

Very well put and that should be the end of it ��

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Loading is the act of placing a round into the breech, in order to be fired.

The H5 does not place a round into the breech, except transiently when the shot is fired. The pellet stays in the mag until after you have pulled the trigger.

So if it does not place a round into the breech, ready for firing, it cannot by definition be self loading.
    The h5 places a round in front of the barrel ready for firing. It's not double action like a revolver where the trigger pull initiates the movement of the magazine.

A caseless ammo rifle I worked on over 20 years ago did exactly that. I doubt anyone would call that not self loading or not fully automatic, which it was. You simply cocked it once, and off you went, semi, full auto or 3 round burst. Being caseless there was no ejection.

It appears that there's a new definition in town, putting a round not in the barrel, but inline is not loading, it's indexing. Fair enough. Probably lucky the caseless fully auto rifle never hit full blown production, or else that would be sect 1 then. Unless someone else made up a new definition...

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    The h5 places a round in front of the barrel ready for firing. It's not double action like a revolver where the trigger pull initiates the movement of the magazine.

A caseless ammo rifle I worked on over 20 years ago did exactly that. I doubt anyone would call that not self loading or not fully automatic, which it was. You simply cocked it once, and off you went, semi, full auto or 3 round burst. Being caseless there was no ejection.

It appears that there's a new definition in town, putting a round not in the barrel, but inline is not loading, it's indexing. Fair enough. Probably lucky the caseless fully auto rifle never hit full blown production, or else that would be sect 1 then. Unless someone else made up a new definition...
    I think it was a stroke of luck that they conveniently found this definition after dropping a bollock and allowing the sale of thousands (?) of LP50 pistols over the years. Imagine the compensation that would have had to be paid.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Er, I think you'll find a government pledged a few years ago never to pay firearms compensation again. This was one of the terrors cited about illegal possession etc.

Anyway hopefully that singularly unhelpful episode of water-muddying in our past is over.

If I hadn't recently bought myself a nice lathe I'd be buying another H5 semi whatever they want to call it.