Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: hunting 5 lp50

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Seriously?

What if we do that and you get prosecuted?

What if an organisation is asked to clarify that law by those whose livelihood, and the sport that supports it, depend on being on the right side of it?

Still 'leave it alone', or have I misunderstood your point? If so, apologies.
    I meant the Police should leave it alone Terry.
    It is simply not their job to chase an issue like this.
    If they felt it was an illegal pistol they should have prosecuted and let the Lawyers and Courts sort it out.
    But in my view their CPS would have squashed it.

I would never suggest that you should not give guidance on airgun matters.
    You do know a bit more than me.

I agree with you Jerry.
    Left alone the Steyr rifles/pistols would have remained a novelty for those with the inclination and the cash.
    Now we might see mass marketing of this type of gun which may cause a reaction we won't like.

Great news!

In the original statement a few months ago now, they said they were also testing these pistols to see if they're 'capable' of more than 6fpe.
    I assume then that they also passed that test too. That decision is a result for everyone, not just those who have or would like to have a Hunting 5 / LP5

Hopefully, Harry will be able to pass on copies of the official response to the GTA so they can advise their other members.

Great news for so many good reasons!
    The progressive way forwards is to introduce a legally limit on magazine capacity so the benefits of 'self indexing' are not abused by some numpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfun View Post
    Great news for so many good reasons!
    The progressive way forwards is to introduce a legally limit on magazine capacity so the benefits of 'self indexing' are not abused by some numpty.
    Why do that??
    Leave things alone as it stands,don't you think we have had enough already !!

Quote Originally Posted by maxtich View Post
    Why do that??
    Leave things alone as it stands,don't you think we have had enough already !!
    We can lose this as fast as we've gained it, simple.
    A 20 shot self indexing air rifle can put 240 ft/lbs of energy down range in a few seconds. I don't see why the risk is worth it, 8 or maybe even 10 shots is more than enough.
    I want to keep this legal standing to own and shoot a self indexing air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    As far as I know, it was the police.

The Gun Trade Association was asked by its members to clarify the legality of 'semi-auto' airguns and the GTA did its best to do this - as it should.

As for 'wasting police time', what are the police supposed to do to determine the status of any gun? It requires a proper investigation, and that takes time and resources to be done with any validity. There's no other way, surely?
    I was told by Helen Preston this morning it was the police. They had a routine inspection as per their RFD status and it was remarked they were holding a number of LP5/50's. The police sought their own clarification on it.

Harry is in receipt of a letter from NYC from Nabis stating that the independent forensic lab's (LBC Ltd) opinion was that they were not self loading as per Sect 57 2a of the act and therefore not Sect 5 ab. Nabis stated they agreed. They also didn't deem them to be Sect 1 due to their power operating under the limits requiring Sect 1.

I think Helen has had permission from NYC to publish or divulge the facts behind it. They were trying to reach me most of yesterday to get this published.

[QUOTE=RobF;7288896]

Harry is in receipt of a letter from NYC from Nabis stating that the independent forensic lab's (LBC Ltd) opinion was that they were not self loading as per Sect 57 2a of the act and therefore not Sect 5 ab. Nabis stated they agreed. They also didn't deem them to be Sect 1 due to their power operating under the limits requiring Sect 1.

That last sentence is very interesting.
    A point made by a few Members on here as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

That last sentence is very interesting.
    A point made by a few Members on here as I recall.
    Bear in mind, this applies to that action. Other actions are different.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Bear in mind, this applies to that action. Other actions are different.
    Sub 12ftlbs means exempt from sec1 licensing so any legal as .22lr clause not applicable?

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Sub 12ftlbs means exempt from sec1 licensing so any legal as .22lr clause not applicable?
    I think he means other brands of airguns actions not .22lr

Watch everyone forget their past positions on this
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Watch everyone forget their past positions on this
    Wanted section full of steyr wanted ads

I'm sure the BASC will be along soon to clarify and to provide snock's robust information stream....

Seriously though - have these pistols been deemed legal?
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    I'm sure the BASC will be along soon to clarify and to provide snock's robust information stream....

Seriously though - have these pistols been deemed legal?
    Yes. In the opinion of LBC Ltd, and independent forensic company commissioned by Nabis after an investigation by North Yorkshire Police.