Thread: tumbler

tumbler

only reload for the .22 hornet at the moment, just prep 50 cases, got a tumbler coming wed, was going to prime the cases but thought ide ask first, do i prime before or after tumbling, may be a stupid question but go easy, still got l plates on, atb ray

after mate....safety first
    Without curiosity, evolution would have been greatly flawed.....

after tumbling check the primer pocket is not blocked with media

March is offline Kind, benevolent, drives a Lamborghini
    After tumbling, good Idea to buy a reloading manual though !!.

Is it a tumbler or a vibratory cleaner?
    Some of the vibratory media (corncob or walnut shell) can get stuck in the flash hole or even block the primer pocket. You'll need to check this before priming.
    If you de-prime after cleaning then you'll remove any stuck media at the same time but the pockets won't get a cleaning (though they don't need it much and they won't get very clean with this method anyway).

If you're wet tumbling with steel media I doubt you'll get many pins stuck but I have had one or two occasions where two pins have managed to stick in a small flash hole.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I reload for my Hornet,
    Just out of interest what components and recipe are you using?
    Mine can be quite finicky on what brass works.
    Winchester and Remington work fine but S&B is a no no.
    If you find S&B work in yours I've got around 80 cases I'll happily send you. Most are unfired the rest once fired.
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonbasher1 View Post
    only reload for the .22 hornet at the moment, just prep 50 cases, got a tumbler coming wed, was going to prime the cases but thought ide ask first, do i prime before or after tumbling, may be a stupid question but go easy, still got l plates on, atb ray
    I knew a bloke who loaded his ammo and then dry tumbled them. They came out really shiny, but the second shot blew his old 303 to pieces! The tumbling ground the nice granules of propellant into very fine powder high explosive!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I knew a bloke who loaded his ammo and then dry tumbled them. They came out really shiny, but the second shot blew his old 303 to pieces! The tumbling ground the nice granules of propellant into very fine powder high explosive!
    Old wives tale and there's no empirical evidence to conclude that tumbling live rounds causes any problems.
    You'd have to tumble/vibrate the loaded rounds for a few years to get it to grind down enough, even then it might not.
    The MoD did extensive testing on this exact issue as some of their ammo could be subjected to large amounts of vibration in its life before it gets fired. They concluded that it was a non-issue.

If it was factory ammo then I'd be asking more questions of the company, but as it was reloaded there is a bigger chance it was due to a badly loaded round, most likely a light charge. Extremely difficult (impossible) to prove as the round was fired.
    I have also heard that commercial ammo is tumbled before it is loaded into boxes to be sold to make the ammo look lovely to the buyers.

A guy on ARFCOM did a 200 and 300 hour tumble experiment and microscopically examined the powder before and after, he concluded there was no change to the powder. The pics of the results can be found here.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.