Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RelumTornado

Certainly food for thought if I decide to modify things substantially. At the moment I haven't had the time to use it for a while & I'm hoping it will settle down with further use, & as I use it a bit more maybe I'll find out its likes & dislikes with regard to holding points & pressure in supporting it. I tend not to rest stringers on solid benches, bags,rolls etc preferring a hand held shooting style. Don't know if thats good or bad, but I'm happy with it. If the grouping improves a little bit then perhaps the only modification might be to try & quieten the mechanicals. There again it might be a bit too much effort for little return as it probably wouldn't be my first choice as a plinker, that cocking effort isn't much fun......

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Certainly food for thought if I decide to modify things substantially. At the moment I haven't had the time to use it for a while & I'm hoping it will settle down with further use, & as I use it a bit more maybe I'll find out its likes & dislikes with regard to holding points & pressure in supporting it. I tend not to rest stringers on solid benches, bags,rolls etc preferring a hand held shooting style. Don't know if thats good or bad, but I'm happy with it. If the grouping improves a little bit then perhaps the only modification might be to try & quieten the mechanicals. There again it might be a bit too much effort for little return as it probably wouldn't be my first choice as a plinker, that cocking effort isn't much fun......
    Rod, you are correct not to rest springers on any solid rest, it will throw your shots off the aiming point. Soft cushions work O.K. if you want to bench rest the rifle, but don't lose the skill of shooting off-hand as so often happens when always using a bench. As I said mentioned before rather get yourself another project than spending a lot of time and effort on the Tornado, can't think of any "likes" to put on the likes and dislikes list. Get a good old British rifle to do up.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Rod, you are correct not to rest springers on any solid rest, it will throw your shots off the aiming point. Soft cushions work O.K. if you want to bench rest the rifle, but don't lose the skill of shooting off-hand as so often happens when always using a bench. As I said mentioned before rather get yourself another project than spending a lot of time and effort on the Tornado, can't think of any "likes" to put on the likes and dislikes list. Get a good old British rifle to do up.

Baz
    Didn't want to say that but Baz said it for me! I am prejudiced but get a BrumBow (best medium weight springer on the planet!).

Had my first Tornado throughout the 70's and used it with open sights to shoot rabbits, squirrels and pigeons (more than with any other rifle!). Then I put away childish things . . . . . ! I then had a nostalgia attack some few years ago and bought another Tornado and modified as I showed. Did get a single hole group shot off-hand at 15m but it was almost 4" diam and took nearly a tin of pellets! No more nostalgia!

Soft resting is OK but the secret is always a consistent hold! If the rifle recoils in the same way every time (and a well set-up one will!), a consistent hold will ensure a consistent performance. Hand against a tree and rifle against the hand is fine, rifle against the tree ain't (necessarily!). Have done hundreds of recoil tests in the last few years just to put numbers on things!

Don't necessarily want to talk you out of the restoration but your precious time could be better spent elsewhere!

Happy airgunning!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Baz,David, yep, reckon I'm about there with the Tornado, bit of fun & something to tinker with but I don't think there's much else I want to do to it. I knew it was a bit on the basic side before I started fiddling around with it . I can remember a lad at school being bought one by his mum out of one of those door stop catalogues, he was really looking forward to getting it. When it arrived it went wrong after a few days.... Never seen someone so deflated so quickly. If I remember it was repaired but only worked properly for another week or so. Wouldn't compress the spring enough to get the sear to engage, just sort of locked up every so often. Eventually after a few goes & a red hand it might sort itself out for a few shots. We all told him he should have got a Meteor. Didn't help much.
    BrumBow, yes, possible, maybe a Superstar.......don't know, I'll see what's going