Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RelumTornado

The barrels back in place,it went on requiring a bit of a tap to seat it fully down against the shoulder. Nothing too drastic but a good indication that it was going to be pretty well held in place. Adhesive was applied to thebarrel beforehand after it had been dimpled up fairly symmetrically.
    The epoxy has set now but full cure will take about a week at ambient temperature, so plenty of time to look at the stock.

Just finished cleaning off the remains of the varnish/lacquer on the stock. It came off very easily, surprisingly so which may go some way to explaining the patchy appearance in the first place. Rather than risk damaging the checquering with mechanical cleaning I left it alone apart from cleaning it out with a mix used to clean antique wood. Most of the dirt lifted off, not perfect but adequate. The stock wood was very pale & I chose a yellowish spirit based stain to try & match the original colour. This stain has gone on evenly but darkened the wood a little more than I hoped based on how it looked on a hidden test area. However I think it will lighten a little when being finally flatted before re polishing.
    Quite enjoying this mini project, it will be interesting to see how it shoots when it's all back together, looking forward to trying it out.

Finally got around to finishing the stock by giving it a final smoothing & a few of coats of clear lacquer flattening off between them & a final buffing up by hand. I was pleased by the final colour which seemed pretty close to the original finish that was still present before cleaning it all off, It's also got a nice degree of shine, not mirror shiny but quite a reasonable sheen.
    Also put all the metal work back together with just the one mainspring, it was very straightforward with no problems.
    To me the cocking effort seemed high considering one of the springs was absent, in fact it seemed pretty hard to cock full stop. Not sure what the mechanical advantage is but I wonder if the pivots were put in the best place?

Checked it out for safety inasmuch as the trigger was functioning properly & that the sear was holding securely. Tried a couple of shots for function but haven't tried it for accuracy yet.

Decided I like the stock design with its deep forend but the mechanical twanging on firings pretty loud but it doesn't seem to jump much despite all the cacophony. Maybe one Relums enough, but might be tempted in another just for a comparison,

Try some thick sticky grease like Red Rubber on the spring to stop twanging.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thanks Baz, I quess I might have been a bit mean with the grease, I'll try some more but if it dosen't quieten things down then I might think about a ptfe sleeve.

I'd be interested in hearing what pellets Relum owners have had good results with in their Tornados?
    Tnanks

Well the Tornado is shooting a bit quieter than it was. The cocking effort still seems fairly high too. Ive fired a few brands of pellet through it but not really tried it for grouping yet because all the pellets I've tried seem to needs seating because the skirts are not dropping down far enough to clear when the loading tap is turned. Its a 22 so I've tried 5.5 but they all need a push. are Relums noted for this? What's your experience?

Because the barrel was loose & was removed I had the chance of examining the bore which is usually a tricky thing to do with an underlever. It also allowed me to clean it from the breech end as well. The first couple of patches were a bit grubby but nothing untoward. The barrel looked pretty clean & there was no apparent damage to the muzzle.

But.

Tried several makes of pellets &. although some are better than others I'm not sure I've found the best ones yet.

Any recommendations for pellets for a Tornado. Hobby seem to be as good as any in this one 1 1/2 - 2" at 15 yds. Seems to be getting better with settling

Hft

Used one of these for Sporting .22 and HFT years back should be good for 40mm at 40 yds mine was spot on at 15 Used an oxbow square section spring and seals from Protek supplies.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    To me the cocking effort seemed high considering one of the springs was absent, in fact it seemed pretty hard to cock full stop. Not sure what the mechanical advantage is but I wonder if the pivots were put in the best place?
    Yes the pivot points do seem a bit crap. The guns start to cock easily but about halfway through cocking, the little link is pointing up at the cylinder'losing mechanical advantage and becomes hard to cock. Also, the fibre insert in the cocking arm might be worn down and you have metal on metal with the cocking arm and the cylinder? I think you can get new inserts now, or get the old one out, use a bit of glue in the hole and replace it, leaving it slightly proud.

Because the barrel was loose & was removed I had the chance of examining the bore which is usually a tricky thing to do with an underlever. It also allowed me to clean it from the breech end as well. The first couple of patches were a bit grubby but nothing untoward. The barrel looked pretty clean & there was no apparent damage to the muzzle.

But.

Tried several makes of pellets &. although some are better than others I'm not sure I've found the best ones yet.

Any recommendations for pellets for a Tornado. Hobby seem to be as good as any in this one 1 1/2 - 2" at 15 yds. Seems to be getting better with settling
    I've often found with rebuilt guns, that they need 150-200 shots through to settle down a bit.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Soft skirt pellet

Try a soft skirt pellet. No2 Webley in blue tin 5.56mm worked in mine don't discount Marksman they are the best in my Hw45 !!!

Thanks for the replies.

Pretty sure it's still settling down, it's only fired 50 or so since being put back together.I'll certainly try Marksman again & probably keep it on Hobbys for a while. Haven't got any of the Webley pellets but might invest iin a tin based on the comments.
    Also I'll have a look at a spares diagram.....fibre washer? Never came across one of them, perhaps it disintegrated. Certainly worth a look even if it turns out to be a mod on later models, might be able to incorporate it on ths one, cheers. Would. E nice to smooth/DRP the cocking effort.
    Might be wrong but I can't see this one doing 40mm at 40yds, only one spring for a start but it would be nice to be to shrink the group size at 15 yds. I put it away & tried something else to check it wasn't me....

I've had a chance to fire a few more shots with the rebuilt Tornado. By now it's fired about 100 shots since being appart. Initially it was rather noisy with a definite spring twang but after following up the suggestion of using a bit more grease it quitened down & seems to be continuing to do so with use. Either that or I'm just getting used to it with time. It's still a bit hard to cock, & that's why I haven't been getting through so many pellets with it. Too much effort = too much shaking on aim when I'm trying to watch how the group size might change as it all settles down. I've also had a look to see if the fibre washer in the slot in the cocking lever was there & functioning. Well it's definitely there, stopping metal on metal but how effective it is I can't be sure. Might make a substitute one up in time but at the moment I'll leave it alone.
    Just using Hobby pellets at the moment, seating them as well to avoid deformation & the grouping seems to be closing up to about an inch at 15 yds. Quite pleased with this as most of the pellets are within about 3/4 inch but the odd 3 or 4 high, low, left or right make one inch a bit more realistic.
    Hope to try it over the next couple of days but I think I might have reached the point where its about as good as its going to be, but I'll see

Airsporter spring

I've had a chance to fire a few more shots with the rebuilt Tornado. By now it's fired about 100 shots since being appart. Initially it was rather noisy with a definite spring twang but after following up the suggestion of using a bit more grease it quitened down & seems to be continuing to do so with use. Either that or I'm just getting used to it with time. It's still a bit hard to cock, & that's why I haven't been getting through so many pellets with it. Too much effort = too much shaking on aim when I'm trying to watch how the group size might change as it all settles down. I've also had a look to see if the fibre washer in the slot in the cocking lever was there & functioning. Well it's definitely there, stopping metal on metal but how effective it is I can't be sure. Might make a substitute one up in time but at the moment I'll leave it alone.
    Just using Hobby pellets at the moment, seating them as well to avoid deformation & the grouping seems to be closing up to about an inch at 15 yds. Quite pleased with this as most of the pellets are within about 3/4 inch but the odd 3 or 4 high, low, left or right make one inch a bit more realistic.
    Hope to try it over the next couple of days but I think I might have reached the point where its about as good as its going to be, but I'll see
    Maybe worth trying an Airsporter spring cut down to make it easier to cock and shoot.

Could be a possibility, I think the Meteor spring has been used as a substitute by others in the past, not sure of the Airsporter spring is the same diameter or not, but thanks, might be worth looking onto a bit more.

Could be a possibility, I think the Meteor spring has been used as a substitute by others in the past, not sure of the Airsporter spring is the same diameter or not, but thanks, might be worth looking onto a bit more.
    I used a V-Mach BrumBow one in mine but only because I had a few! You might like to investigate HW85/95/98; Haenel 303 or Titan #7 springs! You never know, someone may have such a thing kicking around and could help out!

If; when you have it sorted and tested for MV and ME and variations; I could help you to refine the innards to get the values desired (assuming you were not there already!). I would urge using a custom main guide and Top-Hat assembly though; makes all the difference in eliminating the internal cacophony! Whether it's worth all that effort; only you can decide!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!