Thread: Whats a good .410 load using 2.5" Eley Fourlong Cases ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Whats a good .410 load using 2.5" Eley Fourlong Cases ?

My son has got a little .410 and so when I'm up and running again and funds allow - I'm going to take him for a bit of coaching, so he doesn't end up a terrible shotgun shot like his dad.

I have never grown out of sneaking up quietly, getting as close as possible, waiting til the rabbit or pheasant stops moving or lands - just in case you waste a cartridge. Then aiming and shooting - Bsa Meteor style.

No doubt he will be burning up some expensive 410 ammo, so was hoping to do some loading both for clays and meat hunting. Using perhaps size 7 shot ?

So whats a good .410 load using 2.5" Eley Fourlong Cases ? The hand loading kit is a Mrc (not MEC) and I also have a drill mounted rto head.

If possible could you let me know the primer and wad type you are using as well. I have a variety of fibre wads in four different sizes and .410 G-Nana wads from clay and game - but these came thrown in with the kit and may not be suitable. I have been saving Eley .410 empties for years and have a good few hundred to start off with - then I will get some 3" ones.

Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 27-06-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

The most important thing with any handloading is consistency. If you keep chopping and changing the velocity then you will never manage to connect with a moving target except by luck.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Thank you for that good advice.
    So how much does the brand of case matter in shotshell reloading ? So long as you are using a proven safe load and have enough room for a crimp or RTO - is the case okay.

Do you adjust for free space using different size wads. Are there pressure issues to consider ?

use .303 cases, see youtube. A friend has done it and it works fine

Start with 8's or 8 1/2's...

With a light load and a limited range gun that's plenty and patterns kill.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

That's good advice, thank you - as you say at 25yds enough shot in the pattern makes good sense.

What about the case type though - a lot of the loads on the web specify case manufacturers eg. Cheddite - but if it all fits in can you ignore the case make.

Also thank you for the info on the 303 brass - its something I will look into in the future, as it looks good fun - but I'm going to stick to plastic cases until I have a bit more experience under my belt.

Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 30-06-2017 at 11:45 PM.