Thread: Diving tanks-at what pressure do you refill?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Daft, but entirely up to you.

Better to know the sweet spot & only fill to that upper level
    If your rifle has a sweet spot. If regged it may not, then it's a case of shot count.

I usually get them refilled when they get to about 180 bar (got two, a 3 litre and a 12 litre), the guns we have aren't regged, but will shoot accurately down to 150 bar, but as we shoot target, we 'need' 30 shots, and a 180 fill just about does that. We're lucky in that our local dive shop is only about a fiver for a 12l fill, less for a 3l

Thanks for your contributions guys. I use both regged and unregged rifles (all my pcps are Rapids) but as the regged one is legal limit and can be charged up to 230BAR and gives me loads of shots it gets used quite a lot more than the fast flow FAC. My FAC rifles have pressure gauges so I get a visual guide as to when recharging is necessary. The regged rifle goes 'off the reg' at 100BAR whereas the FAC fast flow starts to droop just a bit above that although the power curve is very small and the POI remains pretty constant throughout the range. I also prefer the smaller 280cc bottles for better handling and accept the lower shot count.
    Anyway it seems that refilling the main tank when it reaches 170 BAR is a pretty good compromise so that is what I tend to do. My tank is a 12 litre 300 BAR steel Faber model and I get it charged at a facility near my club for a fiver. Although they tend only to charge to 270BAR once the cylinder has cooled down. However their service is excellent and as around me the dive shops all seem to be having problems with their 300BAR compressors that will do for the moment.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    I usually get them refilled when they get to about 180 bar (got two, a 3 litre and a 12 litre), the guns we have aren't regged, but will shoot accurately down to 150 bar, but as we shoot target, we 'need' 30 shots, and a 180 fill just about does that. We're lucky in that our local dive shop is only about a fiver for a 12l fill, less for a 3l
    Diveline ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

if you are only benchrest shooting, actually you can have the cylinder tethered and shoot it all the way down to 90bar or whatever is the point where the power drops off.
    that's lot more, many many shots.

if hunting and lazy refilling often, sure you get a 300bar cylinder and you fill to the max working pressure of the gun/cylinder again if unregulated it will be the higher point of the plateau.

fill places don't like filling completely empty cylinders. also it will warm up lot more when more volume/ air needs to enter the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Diveline ?
    No, Galaxsea, Hines Road (cheaper than Diveline + a 300 Bar fill, not 280 as per the last time I went there (water tank was empty))
    Last edited by SuffolkRifle; 30-06-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    If your rifle has a sweet spot. If regged it may not, then it's a case of shot count.
    True enough.