Thread: Mysterious Scorpion triggers

Mysterious Scorpion triggers

I know why we are on this planet, I know what happens when we die, I know the universe is only 4% matter, 73% dark energy and 23% dark matter, but I have never figured out a BSA Scorpion trigger until today. Still one mystery remains and I am asking for someone with superior knowledge - how do some parts manage to get into the wrong position on their own causing the pistol to malfunction ?

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 27-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Still one mystery remains and I am asking for someone with superior knowledge - how do some parts manage to get into the wrong position on their own causing the pistol to malfunction ?

Baz
    https://www.neenjames.com/wp-content...08/gremlin.jpg

So all this time my old maths teacher has been causing this problem.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 28-06-2017 at 06:00 AM.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I know why we are on this planet, I know what happens when we die, I know the universe is only 4% matter, 73% dark energy and 13% dark matter, but I have never figured out a BSA Scorpion trigger until today. Still one mystery remains and I am asking for someone with superior knowledge - how do some parts manage to get into the wrong position on their own causing the pistol to malfunction ?

Baz
    Usually the safety spring does something funny and that stops the gun from cocking. The tang of the safety spring indexes the safety bar. The front of the hammer sets the automatic safety. If the indexing is out, the bar is in the wrong position to be set by the front of the hammer. I bought some of the "Manual safety" safety bars from Chambers only to find out they were the automatic ones Grrrr. When I phoned them I was told "oh they must have been put in the wrong place".
    Anyhow, that is the main problem with the triggers. If the plastic guide moves, the long sear can move. They are a bugger to do, but I have always done them by threading one of the 4 pieces that go on the same pin, on at a time, rather than the better idea of a guide peg.
    I suspect at the factory there was a special tool, like a spring loaded set of plier, that held the 4 bits in place, and was then inserted into the trigger housing.
    I was showing someone how the trigger went last week (I couldn't do it as it was missing the safety bar and spring) and he ordered the bits and put it together on Friday in about 15 minutes.
    My "record" (no slave pin method) was 6 minutes but I have spent much longer doing them, each time vowing to make up a slave peg for "Next time"

One tip for when you are putting the housing back on is to set the hammer/cock the trigger, put the housing back on, with the long sear touching the cocked trigger and then pull the trigger to seat the long sear correctly.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Found it easier to fit the spring and two trigger parts that rest on the safety after taking out the little cross pin that blocks your access during assembly. Think you will know what I mean. When are you going to finish the Tell 2 ? Got a nice one at the Kempton Park show for £90. Doing 0 f.p.s. at the moment but should get it up to 250 at least, and then re-blue it.

Baz

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Found it easier to fit the spring and two trigger parts that rest on the safety after taking out the little cross pin that blocks your access during assembly. Think you will know what I mean. When are you going to finish the Tell 2 ? Got a nice one at the Kempton Park show for £90. Doing 0 f.p.s. at the moment but should get it up to 250 at least, and then re-blue it.

Baz
    I take out the cross pin above it Baz. The Tell 2 bits are well and truly on the back burner. I am not up to filing much these days, even though I'm sure Jules has done most of the work. It needs a cocking shoe and the grip screw/pivot and nut.
    I have been trying to finish the 2nd Webley Junior out of parts but still need lingage/ pins and cockng shoe as the bits I have here are somewhat abused.
    Hoping for the barrel and linkage for the pre war straight grip MK1 to turn up as well.
    Other than that, 1 3/4 Relum underlever pistols turned up last week and some Relum spares (I hope they are for the pistol!) are coming. Then on Saturday a Scorpion missing sights and cocking aid and with the piston jammed turned up, invlolving having to use heat and damamging the piston head to get it out---------------------and a Webley Osprey with a stock that is cracking, a smashed piston, Sear spring not fitted properly and a barrel part unscrewed, with the threads smeared over because (i'm guessing) the front stock screw touches the threads and needs undoing before you attempt to unscrew the barrel.
    Oh and a mate sent me a "complete G4" a while back that needed £20 of bits for a gun I didn't want. SIGH
    Other than something of interest, I am just trying to complete stuff that has been lay around for years needing bits. I just want the odd tinker for fun, rather than feeling I've got to get stuck in and get broken things running again.
    I have a garden and wood that needs sorting for the winter, so I fear the little Tell2 will be waiting a while longer.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Safety spring

Does anyone know where I can get the funny little squiggly spring that fits in the safety ? Nobody seems to have stock.

Baz

Does anyone know where I can get the funny little squiggly spring that fits in the safety ? Nobody seems to have stock.

Baz
    Is this any help? About 18 - 20 swg piano wire should do it. The same question popped up a few years ago.

Sorry about the Photobucket link, I'm about to move to Imgur, Dropbox or similar. Photobuckets just gone beyond the Pale, it's objecting to my Adblocker & is thus almost unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    Is this any help? About 18 - 20 swg piano wire should do it. The same question popped up a few years ago.

Sorry about the Photobucket link, I'm about to move to Imgur, Dropbox or similar. Photobuckets just gone beyond the Pale, it's objecting to my Adblocker & is thus almost unusable.
    Thanks for that, thought of using piano wire, just used some on 3 x Haenel 100 pistols I am renovating. It seems that John Knibbs now has stock of the Scorpion springs. I moved to imgur a few months ago, much better

Baz