Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket pulls the plug!

I see nothing wrong with Danny asking for some help here, it's the logical way to fix this. Eventually no service will be free forever, real world. Danny's gallery was been awesome in helping this new collector see images I would never have seen in any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I see nothing wrong with Danny asking for some help here, it's the logical way to fix this. Eventually no service will be free forever, real world. Danny's gallery was been awesome in helping this new collector see images I would never have seen in any other way.
    Thanks Steve. It's not from choice, believe me.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

If ever there was an opportunity for the BBS Admin to do the right thing by airgunners, this is it.

Where are you Messrs Ramsbottom, Doe et al?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    If ever there was an opportunity for the BBS Admin to do the right thing by airgunners, this is it.

Where are you Messrs Ramsbottom, Doe et al?
    Not sure what you mean by this, Paul? Mr Ramsbottom has said on another thread that the BBS is planning to carry images soon.

Looks like Imgur is going the same way as Photobucket. It reminds me of something I once heard which is that if it's free on the internet, then you are the target (ie. your information etc is the source of revenue one way or another).

PS. that can't be said of my galleries.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    ...if it's free on the internet, then you are the product...

Botophucket has been intolerably clunky and intrusive for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this, Paul?

I wouldn't worry, Danny.

It's just the latest in a long line of bizarre posts from Paul attacking the Admin of the BBS for no given reason.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I wouldn't worry, Danny.

It's just the latest in a long line of bizarre posts from Paul attacking the Admin of the BBS for no given reason.

All the best Mick
    Shame, Mick. I can see where that's heading...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by clunge View Post
    ...if it's free on the internet, then you are the product...

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by clunge View Post
    Botophucket has been intolerably clunky and intrusive for years.
    This is true, but 3rd party links/hotlinking, as opposed to direct links back to PB's website, have been OK.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

I can only try to imagine the dedication, time and effort it takes to create and maintain sites like Danny's that have been free for us all to use for so many years.

I'm not aware of such an important and valuable on-line collector resource which I believe it's essential we keep going both for ourselves and future generations of collectors.

I and I'm sure many others will see any donations as money very well spent.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this, Paul? Mr Ramsbottom has said on another thread that the BBS is planning to carry images soon.

Looks like Imgur is going the same way as Photobucket. It reminds me of something I once heard which is that if it's free on the internet, then you are the target (ie. your information etc is the source of revenue one way or another).

PS. that can't be said of my galleries.
    What I mean is that it would be easily possible for the BBS to host your pictures, to the benefit of many of us.

I know (and welcome) that Mr R has said it will soon be possible to post images on thread, but I was thinking of something more in terms of your vast volume of vintage airgun photos. It would be nice to think of them being maintained for posterity.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I wouldn't worry, Danny.

All the best Mick
    Mick, I usually agree with and admire your even-handedness in dealing with us unruly children of the BBS, but in this case I think you are wrong. Rereading my suggestion, I don't see that it is either bizarre or attacking the Admin at all. If you think otherwise then I apologise.

I do not deny that I have had the occasional snipe in other posts. That started when numerous valued members were being arbitrarily banned for petty reasons - the most ridiculous being those that expressed a dislike of the (then) new forum layout.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 03-07-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Mick, I usually agree with and admire your even-handedness in dealing with us unruly children of the BBS, but in this case I think you are wrong. Rereading my suggestion, I don't see that it is either bizarre or attacking the Admin at all. If you think otherwise then I apologise.

I do not deny that I have had the occasional snipe in other posts. That started when numerous valued members were being arbitrarily banned for petty reasons - the most ridiculous being those that expressed a dislike of the (then) new forum layout.

No need to apologise to me, Paul.

I'm just glad we're finally getting to the reason behind your anti admin snipes, which without the above explanation made no sense to me whatsoever.
    Without names and an extensive search I couldn't possibly comment on member's banning, needles to say a lot goes on behind the scenes to keep this place running as smoothly as possible, and your perceived reason for someone's ban could be miles away from the correct reason.

I'm not sure how the picture links will work on here, that is being sorted by the site owners and not Admin, it could be that we'll still need to host pictures externally, which won't be of much help to Danny --- time will tell.

All the best Mick

What I mean is that it would be easily possible for the BBS to host your pictures, to the benefit of many of us.

I know (and welcome) that Mr R has said it will soon be possible to post images on thread, but I was thinking of something more in terms of your vast volume of vintage airgun photos. It would be nice to think of them being maintained for posterity.
    I see, Paul. The problem with this is that the pics have all been uploaded to Photobucket and to do so all over again would take months of work - there are well over 20,000 so far and lots still to upload!

Spending a few minutes every day uploading is manageable but doing it all in one go is not (for me anyway).

I'm sure that's part of Photobucket's calculation - that they feel they have people over a barrel.

The trouble is, when I started, PB seemed much more benign than it does today, and I didn't really expect the galleries to take off as they have. In my naiivety, I thought there were only a few hundred different models of airguns out there, not thousands.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Danny, is Network54 Realms not a viable option?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen K View Post
    Danny, is Network54 Realms not a viable option?
    I don't think so. In any case, see above. The problem is not really with finding a new host (the pics don't take up much space, eg. compared to videos), the problem is where they are now.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery