Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket pulls the plug!

Donation

Donation made -keep up the good work

Thanks all for your kind support.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Lets keep the ball rolling, what's the latest?

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Lets keep the ball rolling, what's the latest?
    Sorry Pete, I was going to do an update shortly.

I've decided to go with a suggestion by the excellent Kane, owner of the South African airgun forum, www.airrifle.co.za, and buy dedicated image hosting from Chevereto (about £65 a year including domain and web hosting). It's been going 10 years, is 'open source', and it's relatively easy to upload and embed image links.

The plan is to upload all the images again and replace the Network 54 Photobucket hotlinks with Chevereto ones. I've got until December 2018 to do this, and if I don't manage it in time I may have to buy a further year of PB 3rd party/hotlinks (UK£315!).

Or I may take up the kind offers I've had of help with uploading, but this will anyway involve significant effort on my part in organising the pics etc.

I've started doing it and will presumably speed up as I get more used to it. I've done the Abas Major section so far and all new posts will obviously use Chevereto-hosted pics. An advantage is that they are larger than the Photobucket hotlinked pics.

If Network 54 should go tits up any time soon (not very likely), I'll just point people to the Chevereto gallery directly. The pics won't be nearly as easy to view as the current forum layout, but at least the gallery won't disappear altogether.

If none of the donors objects, I'll just leave the money collected so far in the Paypal account to pay for future years.

I hope that explains everything.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Danny many thanks for the latest update, l am quite happy for you to keep my small donation for the future if needed.
    ATB,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Danny many thanks for the latest update, l am quite happy for you to keep my small donation for the future if needed.
    ATB,
    Mick.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Sorry Pete, I was going to do an update shortly.

I've decided to go with a suggestion by the excellent Kane, owner of the South African airgun forum, www.airrifle.co.za, and buy dedicated image hosting from Chevereto (about £65 a year including domain and web hosting). It's been going 10 years, is 'open source', and it's relatively easy to upload and embed image links.

The plan is to upload all the images again and replace the Network 54 Photobucket hotlinks with Chevereto ones. I've got until December 2018 to do this, and if I don't manage it in time I may have to buy a further year of PB 3rd party/hotlinks (UK£315!).

Or I may take up the kind offers I've had of help with uploading, but this will anyway involve significant effort on my part in organising the pics etc.

I've started doing it and will presumably speed up as I get more used to it. I've done the Abas Major section so far and all new posts will obviously use Chevereto-hosted pics. An advantage is that they are larger than the Photobucket hotlinked pics.

If Network 54 should go tits up any time soon (not very likely), I'll just point people to the Chevereto gallery directly. The pics won't be nearly as easy to view as the current forum layout, but at least the gallery won't disappear altogether.

If none of the donors objects, I'll just leave the money collected so far in the Paypal account to pay for future years.

I hope that explains everything.

Or... you could have people assigned to sections of the gallery to download the images then upload them to the new site and change the links. Once done, take control back and/or reassign those to another section. Could have it done fairly quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Or... you could have people assigned to sections of the gallery to download the images then upload them to the new site and change the links. Once done, take control back and/or reassign those to another section. Could have it done fairly quickly...
    You haven't seen the state of my hard drive, Jimmie... You have to remember the gallery was built organically and I didn't give a lot of thought to having to do it all over again. A lot of the work of uploading is finding and organising the relevant pic files, most of which were not nicely named with the contents when donated. Fortunately, I did have a folder system of sorts based on the donor's name, but it's partly in my head.

"Fairly quickly"? If only.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

If your PB stuff is organised into albums, you can download the entire album at once as a zip file - may make it easier to re-load elsewhere. I just had to do the same with my own albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
    If your PB stuff is organised into albums, you can download the entire album at once as a zip file - may make it easier to re-load elsewhere. I just had to do the same with my own albums.
    It is, 80-odd albums, with hundreds of makes and models in each randomly. I was uploading to PB just to get hotlinks, not for storage.
    Last edited by Garvin; 14-07-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

What I mean is assign people to download the files from your website, rather than you supply the photos. That keeps your PC out of the loop altogether...

Right click on the photo in the gallery. Save it, upload it somewhere else, then change the link on the gallery to the new place.

After all, all the photos are already organised on your website rather than your local copy.

Someone can do 'A', someone can do 'B' etc...

What I mean is assign people to download the files from your website, rather than you supply the photos. That keeps your PC out of the loop altogether...

Right click on the photo in the gallery. Save it, upload it somewhere else, then change the link on the gallery to the new place.

After all, all the photos are already organised on your website rather than your local copy.

Someone can do 'A', someone can do 'B' etc...
    True, Jimmie. It's a bit more roundabout, but at least would keep me out of the loop too! I can easily make people Chevereto users on my domain, so would be able to give them upload/hotlinking rights.

But... I've got a nasty feeling Photobucket have made the right click 'save as' option impossible - maybe to sabotage fleeing former account holders?! Could you do me a favour and see if you can download eg. a gallery post as if you were going to upload it somewhere else, please? I did this on two different PCs and both times the jpeg wouldn't save in a readable format. Hopefully this is just a settings issue and can be resolved...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Yes, I can download images from your website. I just did it with this one...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...serial+no.+261

Yes, I can download images from your website. I just did it with this one...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...serial+no.+261
    That particular pic is hosted with Chevereto. Could you do one from further in the gallery, ie. a PB one?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Directly right clicking, save as will not work on blocked images Example:http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...+cheekpiece%29

One needs to right click, open image (in a new tab) which will take you to the PB image page, from there you can save as. A lot of hassle.

Danny can obviously download his albums directly from PB in zip format.