Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Merlin, tiniest underlever ?

BSA Merlin, tiniest underlever ?

Just picked up this Merlin, never seen one in the flesh before. My HAENEL 45 is a tiny kids rifle and the Merlin is about the same size. Are these quite rare ? This one has the magazine missing will have to make one.

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Merlin

Baz, I had one for many years before I sold it on. Pop up loading tap and a lot of pressed steel construction. Its one of those airguns that's rare to find in good condition but not worth much either!.

Possibly the smallest under lever

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Baz, I had one for many years before I sold it on. Pop up loading tap and a lot of pressed steel construction. Its one of those airguns that's rare to find in good condition but not worth much either!.

Possibly the smallest under lever
    This one is in very good condition. I see John Knibbs has the missing part for £15.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    This one is in very good condition. I see John Knibbs has the missing part for £15.

Baz
    Baz

There are two types of loading tap for the Merlin. you have the second pattern, the first had the rearsight built into the tap.
    Last edited by coburn; 02-07-2017 at 06:35 PM.

I am a big fan of the dinky little Merlin -- not at all powerful (mine does about 3ft lbs) but great for back garden plinking and very pleasing to look at.

I see Woodys of Wembley have a Mk2 for sale with telescopic sight for £245.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    I am a big fan of the dinky little Merlin -- not at all powerful (mine does about 3ft lbs) but great for back garden plinking and very pleasing to look at.

I see Woodys of Wembley have a Mk2 for sale with telescopic sight for £245.
    And they've had it for a couple of years.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The most disappointing BSA air-rifle ever. Was expecting a tiny Airsporter made to the same standard as the BSA Cadet, got a nasty stamped-metal thing with numerous design defects and no practical use whatsoever. Combines the worst aspects of American, Spanish and Chinese cheepos in one package, adding insult to injury by sporting the usually trustworthy BSA badge and a ludicrous price tag. Nuke from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

The BSA Buccaneer is the junior rifle this thing was never. Provided your hands are size 7 or less.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 02-07-2017 at 09:58 PM.

[QUOTE=Hsing-ee;7292624]The most disappointing BSA air-rifle ever. Was expecting a tiny Airsporter made to the same standard as the BSA Cadet, got a nasty stamped-metal thing with numerous design defects and no practical use whatsoever. Combines the worst aspects of American, Spanish and Chinese cheepos in one package, adding insult to injury by sporting the usually trustworthy BSA badge and a ludicrous price tag. Nuke from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

So quite desirable then. Will tell my RFD who just bought it for £15. I may buy it as a curiosity as its the first one I have worked on. I am going to have to make the sliding mag from Delrin as everyone is out of stock. Silly making a small separate part like that for a kids rifle, bound to get lost.

Baz

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Mine's not separate, or am I misinterpreting something?

Dave
    Smell my cheese

BSA produced two pre WW1 air rifles for the younger shooter based on the Improved Mod D, being the 'Junior' and the 'Juvenile' Patterns. The 'Junior' was really just a cut-down version of the mid-length 'Light' Pattern, but the 'Juvenile' was purpose designed for this market.

I believe the dainty 'Juvenile' and 'Merlin, to be the only true examples of BSA air rifles specifically designed for young shooters. The 'Juvenile' would have been quite expensive when first marketed though, so it would have been a very lucky child who received one as a Christmas or Birthday present.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Mine's not separate, or am I misinterpreting something?

Dave
    The pellet transporter, perhaps they are not supposed to come out lose, but they do. See pic...

Baz

Do you need dimensions Baz?

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Do you need dimensions Baz?
    Would be very handy thank you, mine is the one separate from the sight. I have got another Tell in, what are you busy working on at the moment ?

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Would be very handy thank you, mine is the one separate from the sight. I have got another Tell in, what are you busy working on at the moment ?

Baz
    Ha, ha. Catching up on boring choring following visit to granddaughter in Kent. Will dig mine out tomorrow.

Thanks again

Thanks to deejayuu sending me dimensions, I was able to file up a new pellet transporter out of Delrin for the Merlin. Another non functional item made useable thanks to his help.

Baz