Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for a Schmidt Rubin 1889

Reloading for a Schmidt Rubin 1889

Finally getting round to try loading for this rifle.

Looking at powder and bullet selection.

Anyone got a source for a good cast bullet? Looking for something around 190-200gr I think. And seems to be a fair amount of loads about for imr3031?

What is anyone else loading?

i woudnt normally advise on loads but the m1899 is a bit of an odd one which i have first hand knowlege of.first off this is a loading i have used with no ill effects many times but use it at your own risk..10g of titegroup over a 180g gas checked 303 bullet [.311] worked very well for me at 100yards.titegroup was developed for small loads in large cases but work up slowly looking out for pressure signs up to 10g in increments.tried .308 bullets but accuracy was unacceptable.hope this helps,if i remember rightly the original 1899 loading had simular ballastics to the 30-30 round.i think 2200fps was the speed of the original m1899 round.cheers greasemonkey..
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 08-07-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: sspelin
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Downloaded because of range rules on a K31. 180 grain lee RN with GC. 14.5 grains Trail boss was amazingly consistent. Up to 25 grains 5744 was within range limits (just). I would estimate that 27 grains 5744 would replicate original 1889 energy levels and should be safe (being a slower power than the original).
    Slug your bore and measure the diameter from groove to land then add .004". The repeated claim that the ones that are measured .304" groove to groove are measured wrongly is incorrect. I think that early models may be smaller.

Thanks for the pointers.

Anyone using IMR 3031?

Seen it suggested on a few other sites I have been reading up on as good for the old guns?

Give Andy Allwood a call he knows a thing or two about Schmidts and lead boolits, although he is currently behind on the production due to the heat, unique was hid recomendation although he did mention several other powders as well.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

It was a project I always meant to try, but never got around to! There's useful info to be found, such as this on Gunboards, the Swiss Rifles Forum, and Cast Boolits has had quite a bit of discussion about it too.

There's a YouTuber called Bloke on the range (Englishman living in Switzerland) that does a lot of videos on older Swiss rifles. I expect he'd have some interesting insights as to how the Swiss load for the cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by rarms View Post
    Anyone using IMR 3031?

Seen it suggested on a few other sites I have been reading up on as good for the old guns?
    It's very popular for many older military calibres in the US. I haven't tried it in 7.5 Swiss, but from using it in other chamberings and reading up on it, it's not very tolerant of light loads in some calibres.

Cast boolits generally go well driven by Alliant 2400
    200gr cast from an NOE mould are pretty good: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...0ea070k6e5u6t2

I've got a Lee 180gn gaschecked .303 mould that drops at around .311 going spare. My .303 runs better on .316 lead so I've upgraded to NOE moulds.

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    It was a project I always meant to try, but never got around to! There's useful info to be found, such as this on Gunboards, the Swiss Rifles Forum, and Cast Boolits has had quite a bit of discussion about it too.

There's a YouTuber called Bloke on the range (Englishman living in Switzerland) that does a lot of videos on older Swiss rifles. I expect he'd have some interesting insights as to how the Swiss load for the cartridge.

It's very popular for many older military calibres in the US. I haven't tried it in 7.5 Swiss, but from using it in other chamberings and reading up on it, it's not very tolerant of light loads in some calibres.
    I've had various conversations with Mike about reloading for cast, he gave me this link if its any help I am still torn between loading cast in my K31 for gallery and putting my M1889 onto my FAC
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    i woudnt normally advise on loads but the m1899 is a bit of an odd one which i have first hand knowlege of.first off this is a loading i have used with no ill effects many times but use it at your own risk..10g of titegroup over a 180g gas checked 303 bullet [.311] worked very well for me at 100yards.titegroup was developed for small loads in large cases but work up slowly looking out for pressure signs up to 10g in increments.tried .308 bullets but accuracy was unacceptable.hope this helps,if i remember rightly the original 1899 loading had simular ballastics to the 30-30 round.i think 2200fps was the speed of the original m1899 round.cheers greasemonkey..
    Good post - could not be better. Well, it could be slightly improved. You are mixing up grains [gr] with grams [g]. There is a LOT of difference.

tac
    www.swissrifles.com

Recheck...

tac

pretty certain it was the Krag 30-40

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Good post - could not be better. Well, it could be slightly improved. You are mixing up grains [gr] with grams [g]. There is a LOT of difference.

tac
    www.swissrifles.com
    sorry just the way i always write my loads, my bad,these things should always be correct just in case.mind i think you would notice something was wrong when the case was full and you coudnt get the rest in ..

It is 30-40. Similar case capacity and power. 7.65 Russian also has a similar capacity, although they can be way over pressure for 1889. Use the Russian cast loads as an indicator of velocity with particular loads (none of them give pressures anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    pretty certain it was the Krag 30-40
    perhaps it was ,my memories getting fuzzy with age but i was sure Gillie Howe told me to use loading data for 30-30 as a rough guide when i was messing about with with the 1889 loading,it might have been 30-40 krag,its a long while ago now,maybe time i stopped giving out advice though.but i do remember the fun and games measuring the bore....
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 09-07-2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: sspelin