Thread: Small but beautiful

Small but beautiful

Had three Tell 2 through the shop for repair recently and they are surprising little pistols, I love them. Last nice one belongs to my mate who got it at the Kempton Park show. I get the power up on these by machining a groove in the piston and fitting an O ring. The problem is getting a decent replacement spring as they are very small. Can anyone recommend an alternative that perhaps is used on another pistol ? I was thinking perhaps a Webley spring, if I order one ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

What size is the spring in a Tell 2?...Gat springs are quite small at about 12mmOD x 8mmID with 2mm or so wire gauge approx...light Gem pattern springs are a little bigger...either would probably need to be cut down for the little Tell 2 though.
    blah blah

When the dimensions are posted I'd be happy to measure up of some springs I've got to see how they compare.

Hey, maybe we'll find a use for the inner springs out of Tornados.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    What size is the spring in a Tell 2?...Gat springs are quite small at about 12mmOD x 8mmID with 2mm or so wire gauge approx...light Gem pattern springs are a little bigger...either would probably need to be cut down for the little Tell 2 though.
    The Tell 2 I have has 34 coils of 1.78mm wire with an O.D. of 12.5 mm so it is a bit of an oddball size. Don't know if this is original but it makes it quite a pokey Tell 2. Mate gingernut lent me a new Webley spring but O.D. is too big. Think the Gat spring will work as it only has to fit over the Tell barrel which is 6.9 mm.

Baz

The nearest I found measures 12.29 , the coils are 1.46mm. 33/34 coils depending how you look at it.

This was in a Webley Junior pistol one of the 'blue & plumb' two toners. Of course it may not be original but might be a starting point....

Baz,Tornado inner spring is 12.71 od,coil d1.68mm & has about 68 coils in 268mm, cheersRod

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    The nearest I found measures 12.29 , the coils are 1.46mm. 33/34 coils depending how you look at it.

This was in a Webley Junior pistol one of the 'blue & plumb' two toners. Of course it may not be original but might be a starting point....
    Thanks for looking and the info, I just ordered one from Protek £13 posted, it should just drop in with those dimensions.

Baz

Baz,Tornado inner spring is 12.71 od,coil d1.68mm & has about 68 coils in 268mm, cheersRod
    Rod If that 12.71 will fit inside the Tell piston I could repair two pistols with one of those Relum springs. Will have a rummage through my Relum bits as I often left these inner springs out on rebuilds.

Thanks, Baz

It would be good if it does fit, especially if you've already got one.
    The Webley spring is quite dainty as mainsprings go, but the Juniors are ok with them, if you use them accordingly. What sort of velocity would you expect the Tell to produce.......similar to a Junior maybe?

It would be good if it does fit, especially if you've already got one.
    The Webley spring is quite dainty as mainsprings go, but the Juniors are ok with them, if you use them accordingly. What sort of velocity would you expect the Tell to produce.......similar to a Junior maybe?
    Will have to wait and see, they only do 240 to 250 with a standard spring, these pistols are tiny at only 5.25 inches long.

Baz