Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rws 45

Rws 45

I've been shooting a .177 example a lot lately and I'm finding it a very impressive rifle. I'm late onto these as I was a bit too young when they were current. I am into Diana's though.
    I find the RWS quite different to the Original 45 to handle, shoulder and aim. Due to the very different stock, no doubt- it just feels a different rifle.
    There's not a lot of info out there on the gun but my best guess is that it may have came about by putting later (but still the first version) Original/ Diana 45's actions,possibly destined for the US market (certainly stamped to suit) and putting them in surplus 35 Super stocks to create a new model for almost zero development costs. I know the model was available in the US branded as a Crosman and possibly others.
    Any RWS fans on here that can maybe give their experiences of these rifles?

Drew

You are right on the origin of these nice rifles - a 45 action in a stock based on that from the 35S. Made 1982-88. I think they were an attempt to produce a "new" model to compete with the HW80, pending the introduction (1984) of the genuinely new 34 series. Got a great write-up in SAR. Sold in the US as the Crosman 6100 - with a slightly different stock.

I don't think they were necessarily using up old stocks (unless they were rough blanks), as the inletting is very different between the two, and the 35S has a (HW35-style) one-piece fore-end, as it has an articulated cocking link.

Rws45

I've got one in each calibre and though the actions are identical to the Diana or back in them far off days- the Original 45- I personally prefer the RWS variant.I know that advocates of Original 45 would probably say its lines were spoiled by the fitting of the raised cheek piece and pressed checkered stock but like you I think it handles better. I also think its aesthetically better than the Original 45 though I like the lines on that too. I like the 45 full stop. I think at the time of its introduction it was a leap forward in performance and was a very credible competitor to the HW35, the FWB Sport and the BSF 55.
    Both mine have been tweaked close to the limit and are accurate when I do my bit.
    Funnily enough I've recently had its fixed barrel mate the Original 50T01 and its successor the Diana 34 in bits and the one area that I find interesting is that the 45/50T01 both employ a nicely crafted cocking shoe whereas the later (and you would have thought improved) 34 simply has flared tabs on the end of the underlever to locate and hold it in place in the cocking slot. A bit of a backward step in my opinion but I guess it works.
    I would have liked to see the 45 offered in a carbine version back in the day as I feel it would have made it easier to shoot in woods and hides etc. I feel that in addition the already quick firing cycle could have been quickened further. I did read some companies offered a service to press out the barrel and shorten from the breech but I bet this costs an arm and a leg.
    The 45 is a sturdy well engineered gun that can still hold its own against some of the modern offerings. As has been said back in the day SAR gave it a good write up.
    Dave

By the way I prefer the .177 over the .22 but both are accurate and have been used to good effect against the local squirrels.
    I can't recall the dates on these two but I'm sure both are late 80s.
    Did they ever fit synthetic seals to these guns before production ceased?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    By the way I prefer the .177 over the .22 but both are accurate and have been used to good effect against the local squirrels.
    I can't recall the dates on these two but I'm sure both are late 80s.
    Did they ever fit synthetic seals to these guns before production ceased?
    Not that I know of. They just kept making them until the demand fell. From 1984, M&G were promoting the 34/36/38 and 48/52. They would not have been inclined to invest in the 45, which was an old and increasingly unpopular design.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Drew

You are right on the origin of these nice rifles - a 45 action in a stock based on that from the 35S. Made 1982-88. I think they were an attempt to produce a "new" model to compete with the HW80, pending the introduction (1984) of the genuinely new 34 series. Got a great write-up in SAR. Sold in the US as the Crosman 6100 - with a slightly different stock.

I don't think they were necessarily using up old stocks (unless they were rough blanks), as the inletting is very different between the two, and the 35S has a (HW35-style) one-piece fore-end, as it has an articulated cocking link.
    I agree that it would have to have been unfinished 35S blanks that were used due to the differences in the actions, particularly the rear end cap/ safety catch differences on each. But they are very similar in outline. It's a substantial piece of timber which I thought a bit large at first. Now I consider it nigh on perfect for offhand and sitting FT style shooting. It's definitely amongst the most accurate recoilling springers I've ever used. It's spoiling me In fact. To be honest, the barrel is a bit rough externaĺly, and while I have a replacement I'm loath to interfere with something that shoots so well.
    I hope one day to catch up with that SAR test.

Original 45s are nice shooters but won't last more than 50 pellet tins worth. HW 's last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    Original 45s are nice shooters but won't last more than 50 pellet tins worth. HW 's last forever.
    Im not sure about that but you would know more than most. Yours lives on in three other 45's. And counting. Not that these had shat themselves. They just benefited from parts from yours which was very sweet indeed.
    And I am wary of a sight rail flying off but it hasn't happened yet.

Bought a .177 34 years ago new from mag after reading review in agw by rod lynton I think? Used h&n sillohette with great success hunting, never messed with for the 25 years of ownership and it still produced near 12fpe. Stupidly sold it along with everything else due to circumstances, one big regret.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Bought a .177 34 years ago new from mag after reading review in agw by rod lynton I think? Used h&n sillohette with great success hunting, never messed with for the 25 years of ownership and it still produced near 12fpe. Stupidly sold it along with everything else due to circumstances, one big regret.
    I was reading his review of the .20 version earlier and am looking for his field test of the 50T01 which I have hereabouts somewhere.
    The 45 in its RWS guise was also the favoured gun for another certain airgun mag writer. Can't recall his name now. It will come to me. Anyway its performance made him look good
    Dave

They don't come up for sale all that often but you should be able to pick one up for a trip down memory lane that should be very satisfying.
    The Silhouettes will be more difficult to come by. Why did they discontinue these I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    They don't come up for sale all that often but you should be able to pick one up for a trip down memory lane that should be very satisfying.
    The Silhouettes will be more difficult to come by. Why did they discontinue these I wonder?
    Yes they do come up from time to time and its worth keeping an eye open so you can don your rose tinted specs n travel down memory lane!
    I'm not sure if there is a modern day silhouette pellet? I doubt its quite the same profile and weight though. You would think that if the dies/ moulds or whatever were well made then they could still be made or copied. I recall them being heavy but as I shot the manly calibre back in those days I had no call for them.

I own a .22 rws 45 great springer strong reliable and accurate cant fault the one I have.

Dave.

Thinking about it I reckon it was Rod Lynton in Sporting air rifle not agw who reviewed the rws45, that swayed me to buy one.

Can someone clear up the trigger changes done over the years? I know the earliest versions of the O45 had a far more complex trigger system.