Thread: HW90 still cuts it!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Fantastic rifles - bit on the heavy side for a carry gun though...
    Cobra sling makes carrying very easy. If you're shooting off a stick the extra weight then comes into play.

One of the few HWs missing from my collection.

I must get me one one day.

Many very favourable reports and when people like Baxterbasics, who has vast experience of many guns including highly fettled springers, says I ought to get one, you sorta have to listen.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    One of the few HWs missing from my collection.

I must get me one one day.

Many very favourable reports and when people like Baxterbasics, who has vast experience of many guns including highly fettled springers, says I ought to get one, you sorta have to listen.
    The .177 TB90 I have is an early rifle with a 63mm stroke or so I'm led to believe. For a 30mm bore and heavy duty piston it has surprisingly little recoil and a super quick snappy firing cycle. The only thing I don't like is the safety catch set up. The reset toggle under the trigger guard some times interferes with my Anschutz glove, that said, I can still rest the rifle on a stick or off my knee. It was the best break barrel gas spring rifle produced in my view having previously shot HE and non HE Sirocco's, and all of the derivatives including the Olympus. The triggers on Theoben's own rifles weren't a patch on the HW unit, even with it's over elaborate safety set up.

Had 3 90's in this year and they were all down on power, suppose it could be very miniscule leaks over year of use. Was trying to read pump gauge at correct operating power of 11.2 ft.lb. and it was hard to discern being very low, looked about 350 p.s.i. in the ram. Has anybody ideas on the pressure ? My collector friend has a.22 minter for sale he bought new and hardly shot which he is taking to the next Kempton Park Fair on 15th October £220.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Had 3 90's in this year and they were all down on power, suppose it could be very miniscule leaks over year of use. Was trying to read pump gauge at correct operating power of 11.2 ft.lb. and it was hard to discern being very low, looked about 350 p.s.i. in the ram. Has anybody ideas on the pressure ? My collector friend has a.22 minter for sale he bought new and hardly shot which he is taking to the next Kempton Park Fair on 15th October £220.

Baz
    When new, my TB90 shot at 11.6 FT LB. Now it shoots at 10.5 FT LB but I've hardly noticed a difference to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    When new, my TB90 shot at 11.6 FT LB. Now it shoots at 10.5 FT LB but I've hardly noticed a difference to be honest.
    Very difficult to discern a small difference like that which is only 27 fps with a 16 grn .22 pellet. In fact I think 10.5 ft lb is the about the right power to run these with the cocking effort involved and also more likely to stay legal when using different weight pellets. I think when you get to 8 ft.lb. it needs some attention, although some shooters wouldn't even notice that drop.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Very difficult to discern a small difference like that which is only 27 fps with a 16 grn .22 pellet. In fact I think 10.5 ft lb is the about the right power to run these with the cocking effort involved and also more likely to stay legal when using different weight pellets. I think when you get to 8 ft.lb. it needs some attention, although some shooters wouldn't even notice that drop.

Baz
    Yes I agree. 10.5 ft lb is perfectly fine for a .177 gas piston rifle. Lovely firing manners.