Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW90 still cuts it!

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    When new, my TB90 shot at 11.6 FT LB. Now it shoots at 10.5 FT LB but I've hardly noticed a difference to be honest.
    Very difficult to discern a small difference like that which is only 27 fps with a 16 grn .22 pellet. In fact I think 10.5 ft lb is the about the right power to run these with the cocking effort involved and also more likely to stay legal when using different weight pellets. I think when you get to 8 ft.lb. it needs some attention, although some shooters wouldn't even notice that drop.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Fantastic rifles - bit on the heavy side for a carry gun though...
    Quote Originally Posted by CuppaT View Post
    One reason why i sold mine.
    agree, they are heavy, but still very manageable (well, for me anyway!) ... having owned a few theoben rammers now over the years, i think the '90 is an all round better rifle IMO. Though i have to say the SLR88/98 is probably one of the best looking air rifles ever made, but if it was a good as it looks, then i wouldn't have ventured into HW territory to find an alternative rammer!
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    agree, they are heavy, but still very manageable (well, for me anyway!) ... having owned a few theoben rammers now over the years, i think the '90 is an all round better rifle IMO. Though i have to say the SLR88/98 is probably one of the best looking air rifles ever made, but if it was a good as it looks, then i wouldn't have ventured into HW territory to find an alternative rammer!
    I'm guessing you didn't try the imperator 88 ft as that shoots as good as it looks ;-)

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't try the imperator 88 ft as that shoots as good as it looks ;-)

Pete
    Very collectable now, but more out of curiosity. They weren't any where nearly as successful as the TX or '77 on the competition circuit though. I did hear once, that they couldn't stop the seals from breeching because the action was so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Very difficult to discern a small difference like that which is only 27 fps with a 16 grn .22 pellet. In fact I think 10.5 ft lb is the about the right power to run these with the cocking effort involved and also more likely to stay legal when using different weight pellets. I think when you get to 8 ft.lb. it needs some attention, although some shooters wouldn't even notice that drop.

Baz
    Yes I agree. 10.5 ft lb is perfectly fine for a .177 gas piston rifle. Lovely firing manners.

Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post

Pete
    I have tried an '88 but not the imperator unfortunately. I have to say I was disappointing with the '88 in the same way as the '98. Was there much difference in the trigger between the standard and ft version for example? I can't imagine it's better than the tb90 though!

Not shot my 90 for a while now, but when I do I'm always impressed with it. Best thing I did was remove the inertia weight. Reading this thread makes we want to use it again, a fine bit of engineering. I serviced it myself a couple of years ago and it's always held pressure,...

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    ...Best thing I did was remove the inertia weight...
    May I ask why and what's the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post
    May I ask why and what's the outcome?
    Was advised on here to remove as they tend to seize ,add weight and don't really serve any purpose. It definately shoots better now for removing it.

The best gas ram to shoot is the Eliminator, a really layed back sedate lady. No effort involved, but like a lot of them a little too heavy.

Baz

Got a mint hw90tb in .177 which i might sell!.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    The best gas ram to shoot is the Eliminator, a really layed back sedate lady. No effort involved, but like a lot of them a little too heavy.

Baz
    You're joking mate! They are beasties and not for the faint hearted that's for sure. Well the one I used didn't take any prisoners Did you have your one detuned or something? Though they do make a hell of a whack when they hit their target
    I do find the weight, especially in the case of the '90, is a contributing factor to nice firing cycle IMO

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    You're joking mate! They are beasties and not for the faint hearted that's for sure. Well the one I used didn't take any prisoners Did you have your one detuned or something? Though they do make a hell of a whack when they hit their target
    I do find the weight, especially in the case of the '90, is a contributing factor to nice firing cycle IMO
    I think because it has a huge swept volume it seemed to need less cocking effort than the 90, and wasn't as snappy. Perhaps I was stronger then and it could have been down on the normal Eliminator power. I sold all my heavy rifles as only needing sub 12 ft.lb. I could not see the point of having a heavy HW 80 and 90 when something like a HW 50 gives you the same power and accuracy in a lighter package. Have also now a 95 in .20 calibre which seems to cover all the bases in weight accuracy and trajectory.

Baz

'95 in .20 is a very good choice indeed - can't argue with that mate

Tb90

I finally managed to get my hands on a TB90 - very pleased yeeeeeha! Thanks to JB101
    Also a SLR88 - double yeeeeeeha!!