Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for an 11 year old, and upwards.

Suggestions for an 11 year old, and upwards.

My 11 year old son has taken an interest in shooting.
    I spent a while teaching him basics with an air rifle at the weekend, but now he, and I wish to try a bit of plinking with a pistol.
    Whilst my son is not small, he is not the most robust 11 year old. So need something light, and easy to operate.

My initial thought was something like a CP99 CO2, and pellet magazine. Maybe a Umarex PPK. Not bothered if it's blowback.

Ideally I would like to fit a silencer, to keep the noise down a bit.

What else would you suggest? Whilst not really important time, to my son, I think it needs to look the part too.

Any advice appreciated, I know very little about this type of airgun.

Thanks

Rich

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    If your into PCPs and have the filling gear then an SMK P700w is great value for money, especially 2nd hand, and you can get other grips cheap to customise it.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thanks. Unfortunately, I sold my PCP gear a few years back.

I've an smk cp1 which was very cheap and works a treat, not the best trigger but for around £100 it works fine and I'm sure he would enjoy it.
    I've ordered a red dot sight to make it a little easier to shoot as the laser is hard to see during the day.

Considering his age I would stick with a single shot for safety, a crosman 2240 or cp1 can both be silenced and reasonable money.

Lucky lad. I had to start with a GAT. Which parents new nothing about - they didn't approve of airguns.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Considering his age I would stick with a single shot for safety, a crosman 2240 or cp1 can both be silenced and reasonable money.
    That is a good shout. I will look at one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by JCB357 View Post
    Lucky lad. I had to start with a GAT. Which parents new nothing about - they didn't approve of airguns.
    Well, he might not be quite so lucky, if I didn't want it too!

Look at some of the Gamo co2 pistols they are cheap and if it's just for plinking they're ok

Bill
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

If it has to have a silencer, and be accurate i would also recommend the 2240, nice and cheap and you can really customise these babies over time, ive had some real beauties in the past. Can i also recommend you and your son take a look at the UBC for fun competitions www.umarexboysclub.co.uk this will get you too our forum, become a member and join in the fun.

Word of warning pistols can get very addictive, one is never enough or even 31 lol, you have been warned

Happy Shooting
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

How about a Falcon FN19? Cheap to obtain and very accurate. Someone in another thread linked a pump for around £50.

They're not heavy but will certainly last until he decides to upgrade to an Air Arms S510

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    If it has to have a silencer, and be accurate i would also recommend the 2240, nice and cheap and you can really customise these babies over time, ive had some real beauties in the past. Can i also recommend you and your son take a look at the UBC for fun competitions www.umarexboysclub.co.uk this will get you too our forum, become a member and join in the fun.

Word of warning pistols can get very addictive, one is never enough or even 31 lol, you have been warned

Happy Shooting
    Thanks.

He's had a look at a few, and the 2240 and CP1 are the ones he likes best. Although he did take a liking to an old style cowboy revolver...
    He would prefer single shot, and open sights to start.

Wil take a look at that link.

Thanks.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    How about a Falcon FN19? Cheap to obtain and very accurate. Someone in another thread linked a pump for around £50.

They're not heavy but will certainly last until he decides to upgrade to an Air Arms S510
    Thanks, that is not a pistol though.

Maybe in the future....

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rich_morris View Post
    Thanks.

He's had a look at a few, and the 2240 and CP1 are the ones he likes best. Although he did take a liking to an old style cowboy revolver...
    He would prefer single shot, and open sights to start.

Wil take a look at that link.

Thanks.

Rich
    The CP1 comes with a steel breech as standard, while the 2240 out of the box has a plastic one. Both can be modded to various degrees, but for a starter gun, he may do better with a metal breech from day 1. Possibly an idea to (if possible) try handling both as the CP1 grip is larger than the 2240 one. If you fit an adaptor for a silencer, you should still be able to use open sights by
    a) 2240 using one of GMac's adaptors with an integral foresight pin
    b) CP1 getting one of porkyyorky's silencers off the UK Chinese Airgun forum that have a built in foresight pin

Quote Originally Posted by rich_morris View Post
    Thanks, that is not a pistol though.

Maybe in the future....

Cheers.
    A good point and well made! Must read OPs more carefully...