Thread: Pellets for long range shooting with an Alecto

Pellets for long range shooting with an Alecto

Starting to take my Alecto up the local range which has knock down targets and could use some suggestions for a pellet suited for longer ranges, its .177 flavour.

Groups well with HN Baracuda Match but they are a bit tight and this could corresponds with a higher degree of variation on the vertical, whilst there is very little on the horizontal axis.

Thinking around 25-30 yards at the moment.
    Last edited by capt hindsight; 10-07-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Use marksman pellets .when I was young my mate told me his brother could light a match head at 120 yards with them using his airsporter with open sights so it must be right.. he said that his brothers mates,mate had tuned the gun not with a kit but by using a double ox spring and it was well powerful as it would shoot to page 27 of the yellow pages and it shook with power when you fired it..so going off my mate the marksman pellets sold at the local newsagents for 14p would be the pellet of choice.. or ..any that you have tested that your gun prefers don't forget to wash dry weigh and lube them for consistancy as this will make all the difrance

Use marksman pellets .when I was young my mate told me his brother could light a match head at 120 yards with them using his airsporter with open sights so it must be right.. he said that his brothers mates,mate had tuned the gun not with a kit but by using a double ox spring and it was well powerful as it would shoot to page 27 of the yellow pages and it shook with power when you fired it..so going off my mate the marksman pellets sold at the local newsagents for 14p would be the pellet of choice.. or ..any that you have tested that your gun prefers don't forget to wash dry weigh and lube them for consistancy as this will make all the difrance

If I'm clear on the usage, the above recommendation for Marksman pellets and accompanying diatribe would fall under the category of 'taking the piss' is that right? Good one, reminds me of similar childhood fantasies propagated enthusiastically by so many. On a more serious note, try the heavier weight JSB field target pellets. They're among the most stable over greater range. And the softer skirts allow more consistent rifling engagement and hence velocity.

JSB heavies would be my choice

Thanks, i'll consider those, my only misgiving is that it doesn't like jsb express, but that could just be the light weight?

I can't speak directly from experience with Express in .177", but in .22" I have only one airgun which actually groups well with the 13.43gr pellets, my QB57 with a 12" cut down barrel. I've tried them in my Brocock Atomic and the thing will put 7 out of 10 on target, but the other 3 will be random, often quite bad misses. My QB78D shoots 18.13gr Heavy JSB perfectly, but the Express start opening up at 20 metres and by 30 they're just not reliable. Every .22" I own loves the Heavy variety. They're just so stable.

I found i had good results from Crosman Magnums & Bisley Practice.
    atb
    Nige
    Formerly Ric O'shay but profile lost as not used for a very long time