Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please don't make fun but newest acquisition is a Browning AirStar 200 electric

Please don't make fun but newest acquisition is a Browning AirStar 200 electric

I've read all the posts over the years, "the answer to a question no one asked", "perfect yuppie gun", "noisy and heavy". But never knew of the gun till I saw one this month on Gunbroker, new in the box it went for more than I wanted to spend given all the reviews I read. But I did a search and found one at a pawn shop for equivalent of 155 pounds. It was mint in the box like most are, no one shoots them! Given they seemed well built I took a chance at that price. Came yesterday and to my surprise it charged up and it held overnight. Extremely well made, wood very nice, fit and finish as good as my Beeman R1, with one of the most interesting loading ports I have ever seen. Definitely, a novelty, but a lot of fun with buttons to push, two led lights, electronic safety, lots of fun sounds: and yes it shoots! That's the bonus but I haven't tried to hit anything yet. You guys with your boring springers, and I guess you actually have to physically cock them? Sad.

Someone said on a post they have never seen a serial number under 2000, curious if that is true?
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-07-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I've read all the posts over the years, "the answer to a question no one asked", "perfect yuppie gun", "noisy and heavy". But never knew of the gun till I saw one this month on Gunbroker, new in the box it went for more than I wanted to spend given all the reviews I read. But I did a search and found one at a pawn shop for equivalent of 155 pounds. It was mint in the box like most are, no one shoots them! Given they seemed well built I took a chance at that price. Came yesterday and to my surprise it charged up and it held overnight. Extremely well made, wood very nice, fit and finish as good as my Beeman R1, with one of the most interesting loading ports I have ever seen. Definitely, a novelty, but a lot of fun with buttons to push, two led lights, electronic safety, lots of fun sounds: and yes it shoots! That's the bonus but I haven't tried to hit anything yet. You guys with your boring springers, and I guess you actually have to physically cock them? Sad.

Someone said on a post they have never seen a serial number under 2000, curious if that is true?
    One of these in action here.

Way ahead of its time (or should that be way behind?).

I wonder if you could fit a modern lithium battery that give thousands of shots and weeks between charges?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I wonder if you could fit a modern lithium battery that give thousands of shots and weeks between charges?
    This was my favorite UTube: https://youtu.be/GqceyC7DTIM

I did make sure I could get NiCa batteries, they're still made for RC toys. Only $15. Doubt I will shoot it a thousand times to make the lithium experiment worthwhile. Lol. Shooting this is quite the nuisance, takes away from the fun stuff.

Seriously, this has to go down as one of the oddest air rifles ever made. That combined with its extremely high build quality make it a fun collectable. And cheap to buy.
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-07-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Unframed Dave has one of these --- it gave me a migraine.

Hope this helps.

All the best Mick

And with a bit of tuning..... http://soundbible.com/1687-TomCat.html

Had a one of these for years and hardly used it. Excellent build quality and one of the best loading ports I've seen. Only problem was it made enough noise to wake the dead when charging the spring. Still a great collectable though

You guys aren't looking at the positives. I shoot in my backyard and although legal, I don't want neighbors to think I'm shooting. With this gun they will think I'm using my power tools? Great diversion. And by the way, think about it who says shooting has to be silent? This is pretty tame compared to my blackpowder adventures, or my friends at the range with their high powered loads!
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-07-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Disabled shooting

Nice find and ideal I would have thought for some disabled bench rest shooting at a Club or back garden .

You shoot one rabbit, then others die from fright !

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

I rather like it. The centrally aligned barrel is cool and it looks rather nicely made and designed. The one in the video needs a spring guide that fits, and maybe some shims and grease would take the whine out of the cocking action. It cocks pretty quickly too. I wonder how powerful they are?

Please don't make fun but newest acquisition is a Browning AirStar 200 electric

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Had a one of these for years and hardly used it. Excellent build quality and one of the best loading ports I've seen. Only problem was it made enough noise to wake the dead when charging the spring. Still a great collectable though
    That could well be the very one I saw demonstrated in windrow sports bishop aukland in the 80's! They would be ok for plinking with ear defenders on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I rather like it. The centrally aligned barrel is cool and it looks rather nicely made and designed. The one in the video needs a spring guide that fits, and maybe some shims and grease would take the whine out of the cocking action. It cocks pretty quickly too. I wonder how powerful they are?
    They were rated at 780 FPS, going to chrony mine but put some chamber oil down and want to work it a bit. The build quality is right there with the best of the German rifles, wood and metal finish is flawless. The manual says the internals are permanently lubricanted so I'm thinking the cocking drive is probably as good as it will get. The spring I'm sure could be tuned, not worth it to me. The cocking noise to me is no big deal, I used to shoot 22 rim fire! I'm not hunting with it. At a price of 155 pounds you couldn't touch anything of this quality like new and its so novel. It's grooved for a scope but I have a good Williams peep sight I bought years ago for my R1 which I may put on. Peeps work for my old eyes, could scope it but in the backyard peeps are a little more entertaining.
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-07-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    They were rated at 780 FPS, going to chrony mine but put some chamber oil down and want to work it a bit. The build quality is right there with the best of the German rifles, wood and metal finish is flawless. The manual says the internals are permanently lubricanted so I'm thinking the cocking drive is probably as good as it will get. The spring I'm sure could be tuned, not worth it to me. The cocking noise to me is no big deal? I'm not hunting with it. At a price of 155 pounds you couldn't touch anything of this quality like new and its so novel.
    I think you have yourself a bargain there. It looks like a great backyard gun, and since that principle has kept electric airsofts going well for millions of shots with far lower quality parts it should give years of enjoyable shooting. Definitely more pros than cons, if the mainstream turns its nose up at its quirkiness then that's your gain.

I suppose the motor might eventually need a rewind and maybe the gears would need replacing at some point. I would check the provenance of the electric motor and try to get a spare one to salt away.

They were rated at 780 FPS, going to chrony mine but put some chamber oil down and want to work it a bit. The build quality is right there with the best of the German rifles, wood and metal finish is flawless. The manual says the internals are permanently lubricanted so I'm thinking the cocking drive is probably as good as it will get. The spring I'm sure could be tuned, not worth it to me. The cocking noise to me is no big deal? I'm not hunting with it. At a price of 155 pounds you couldn't touch anything of this quality like new and its so novel. It's grooved for a scope but I have a good Williams peep sight I bought years ago for my R1 which I made put on. Peeps work for my old eyes, could scope it but in the backyard peeps are a little more entertaining.
    I would still try and lubricate it if you can get at the internals, Steve. "Permanently lubricated" may mean in was good for the '90s but I doubt they looked as far as 2017!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I would still try and lubricate it if you can get at the internals, Steve. "Permanently lubricated" may mean in was good for the '90s but I doubt they looked as far as 2017!
    Good point, the screws holding the bottom plate under the cocking mechanism look pretty straight forward. What lubricant would you put on gears?