Thread: HW55T with broken stock - options?

HW55T with broken stock - options?

Hi, just picked up a HW55T in left hand!!!
    Issue is, it's got a broken stock, across the wrist, which has been repaired, with a wood screw at the front (kinda rearwards of trigger guard)

I want to use the rife as it's very much of a rarity, but don't want to destroy any resideral value it may have.
    Will it be worth a pro stock repair, or will it always be a broken stock air rifle no matter value wise ? ( will a pro stock repair add its cost value? )
    If I do the repair myself, it will be strong, but not as pretty. Does this matter? It's going to be better than it currently is.

Other questions,
    The rifle is 79xxxx which I can see is a 1980 model, the barrel has not been cut, but there are no grooves for the front sight, did these have a slip on style front target sight?
    The trigger is extremely light, so likely to be the 55 target trigger, but has a very set back blade, hence no thumb screw, only a short screw under the trigger blade, I guess this is a blade mod from the 80s (it's not a current style of extra set back)

Thanks!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Hi, just picked up a HW55T in left hand!!!
    Issue is, it's got a broken stock, across the wrist, which has been repaired, with a wood screw at the front (kinda rearwards of trigger guard)

I want to use the rife as it's very much of a rarity, but don't want to destroy any resideral value it may have.
    Will it be worth a pro stock repair, or will it always be a broken stock air rifle no matter value wise ? ( will a pro stock repair add its cost value? )
    If I do the repair myself, it will be strong, but not as pretty. Does this matter? It's going to be better than it currently is.

Other questions,
    The rifle is 79xxxx which I can see is a 1980 model, the barrel has not been cut, but there are no grooves for the front sight, did these have a slip on style front target sight?
    The trigger is extremely light, so likely to be the 55 target trigger, but has a very set back blade, hence no thumb screw, only a short screw under the trigger blade, I guess this is a blade mod from the 80s (it's not a current style of extra set back)

Thanks!
    The '55 I have and the others I have seen have the standard dove tailed HW front sight unit. With regards to the trigger - there should be a locking collar around the adjusting screw.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=9&o=1

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Hi Geoff,
    This makes me wonder if they ever did a scope only model, perhaps for running boar shooting? (Entirely guess work on my part!).
    Cheers
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hi Geoff,
    This makes me wonder if they ever did a scope only model, perhaps for running boar shooting? (Entirely guess work on my part!).
    Cheers
    Rich
    I don't thinks so, Rich. Never heard of one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

What length barrel should it be?
    If it's cut down, it's certainly the best cut, finish, and re-crown I have seen!

Possibly this example has been modified too much so it's worth only as much as component parts. Certainly not collectible
    Think I will just re-fix the stock myself, and enjoy it :-)
    Thanks - Geoff.