Hi Stuart,

110 grain does sound excessive, but I think these rifles are designed to shoot quite a distance, my father has one.

If you're shooting 25/50 yards I think you're wise to keep the load below 60 grains, and medium BP should do just the trick.

I use a thick felt Wad in my .45 Cal kentucky deluxe, in the thought that it will push some of the fouling back down the barrel and make the ball & patch easier to load down the rifling,

Semolina wont have that effect, but it's up to you really though what you want to do. Some people like to put the ball and patch straight on top of the powder.

Barrel removal is always handy, and If it's possible, I usually do it. If you clean with boiling hot water then barrel removal is a good idea to stop the stock from getting hot. (Dont want warped wood)

Just make sure you get a cloth to hold the barrel when you pour the kettle water down it! - Easy mistake to make!

Barrel removal on modern kentuckies requires removing pins, so it's more effort and possibly splintering wood unless you're careful...

I dont bother removing the barrel when cleaning that...

The old antique ones had barrel wedges though!

Oh, and, get plenty of flints!

- Tom