Thread: Pedersoli Flint Lock Mortimer Rifle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First shoot

Finally got to the range today to shoot my Flint Lock Mortimer Rifle for the first time.

The weather was really blustery with occasional showers so had to shoot under cover at the 25m line, not the 50m line I wanted to use.

Took 25 shots of 50 , 55 & 60 grns of Peter Starleys Medium Black Powder, as not sure what load to use with my 10 thou patch & 535 ball and fine powder for the pan.
    The shots were taken shooting off a rest.
    This is the first time I have used a Flint Lock so was quite nervous, I had done some research on the internet, but sometimes you get contradictory advise so had just see how things went.
    The first group of shots I fired with the 50grn in, the shots were a few inch's lower than were I was aiming and were over to the right. So I made a small adjustment to the front sight to bring the shots back to the left.
    I had a couple of Flash in the Pans with no ignition. Worked out you need to get the powder in the pan closer to the Vent Hole.
    The second group of shots with 55grn in was a slightly tighter group but still a couple of inch's low.
    The third group with 60grn in was a tighter group still (see photo) but still about an inch lower to where I was aiming.
    The Rifle has a really nice trigger and has a heavy barrel so even with 60grn in there is not a lot of recoil. The open sights have a very fine view.
    I only used two Flints, the first one blunted after about 10 shots. The second was still going strong after 15 shots.
    I need to get a better pair of pliers so as I can Knapp the Flint to keep the edge sharp when it starts to fail.
    Firing a Flint Lock Rifle for the first time was great fun. You see the flash from the pan when you pull the trigger and then a split second later the main charge in the Rifle goes off.
    It takes a little bit longer to shoot than my Parker Hale Enfield Rifle, because you have to wipe the pan down and make sure the Vent Hole is clear after each shot. I swabbed the barrel down after about 8 shots each time.
    The Rifle is pretty accurate, I'm sure with more practice I will get better with it.
    I think the Rifle needs 60grn for shooting at the 25m line, will probably need 70 or 75 grn to shoot at the 50m line.
    Cleaning the Rifle was easy, remove the ramrod put it on half cock, tap out the two wedges with a brass drift and the barrel just lifts up and off the stock (has a metal hook that goes into the metal tang block at the rear of the barel.) Used a mop with a bucket of hot soapy water to pull the water up and down the barrel, ran a couple of patch's with Muzzle Magic on, then a clean couple of patch's before a patch with Brunox to lube the barrel.The Vent Hole unscrews easily for a drop of lube. Went back together easily enough.
    Daniel Day-Lewis (Last of the Mohicans) here I come, wonder if his "Silk" Patch's "for an extra 50 yards" really works?

Stuart

http://imgur.com/a/ghC2V

http://imgur.com/a/vLReH
    Last edited by Frag Muppet; 03-08-2017 at 04:14 PM.