Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bsa mercury piston head

Ideot Savant Guest

bsa mercury piston head

Hi,
    On the front of my mk1 mercury piston head, just in front of the o-ring, is a metal ring. Can I do without it, as it makes it very hard to put the piston back in the cylinder?
    Ta,
    Matt

Ideot Savant Guest
    Bump

Ideot Savant Guest
    again

Not sure what you've got.

There is the Piston Head, the "O" ring that goes on it and a buffer washer that does between the head and the piston.

ATB
    Ray.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Well, its a ring of spring steel thats just in front of the o-ring and its only function seems to scratch the inside of the cylinder. I have removed it and will try the rifle later tonight.
    I could actually fit a second o-ring in the groove left behind instead, but two o-rings seems a bit silly

Quote Originally Posted by Ideot Savant View Post
    Well, its a ring of spring steel thats just in front of the o-ring and its only function seems to scratch the inside of the cylinder. I have removed it and will try the rifle later tonight.
    I could actually fit a second o-ring in the groove left behind instead, but two o-rings seems a bit silly
    I'm lost on that one. I can't think why something like that should be fitted. It also sounds like the groove is a bit wide. Perhaps that's why someone tried to close it up with the metal ring ?
    ATB
    Ray.

jonballs is offline born to shoot, shoot to hunt, hunt to eat
    i`ve had 2 of my own and 3 other Mercury's that have had the "metal ring " and have removed them all with no ill effect

cheers

jon
    jon barber

touch wood i`ve never had a bad sale on the bbs

Looking on Chambers there is nothing resembling a metal ring on any of the Mercury's or variations.

As it's not a one off it seems strange that they don't list it

ATB
    Ray.

Ideot Savant Guest
    This is a mk1 z serial number one, about 1973 I think. Perhaps they emoved them on later ones.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jonballs View Post
    i`ve had 2 of my own and 3 other Mercury's that have had the "metal ring " and have removed them all with no ill effect

cheers

jon
    Great, good to know. Bit of a mystery why its fitted at all?

Chambers list all versions of the Mercury including early and late for the Mk1.

I wonder if someone was selling some kind of "Kit" for them.

ATB
    Ray.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post
    Chambers list all versions of the Mercury including early and late for the Mk1.

I wonder if someone was selling some kind of "Kit" for them.

ATB
    Ray.
    The head wis pretty old looking thing, in keeping with the rest of the rifle. The design looks much the same as on chambers, but with a metal ring and it is perhaps a but longer too.
    I'm going to strip it again in the week, I can post up a pic if you are interested Ray?

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ideot Savant View Post
    The head wis pretty old looking thing, in keeping with the rest of the rifle. The design looks much the same as on chambers, but with a metal ring and it is perhaps a but longer too.
    I'm going to strip it again in the week, I can post up a pic if you are interested Ray?

Matt.
    Hi Matt,
    I think it's worth posting a pic as it all adds to the BBS knowledge. It sounds "out of the ordinary" to me and I would be interested in seeing what it's like

ATB
    Ray.

Could this modified piston head be from one of the after market tunners of the era? (Venom, Bowkett, WBP etc.)

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I have the same on mine that i'm just reassembling and assumed that it was to keep the piston square in the cylinder.
    Cheers
    Roy
    badgeroy
    And i'll answer to anything else.

If a politician told me he was lying i would'nt believe him.