Thread: refinishing a Walther LP3 match grip

refinishing a Walther LP3 match grip

I'm refinishing a Walther LP3 Match grip and would welcome advice as to what to finish it with as I'd like it to look as 'factory' as possible.

I've scrubbed it with a bristle brush and soap to remove ingrained dirt and then wire wooled it.

If I damp a small area it goes very dark, so don't want to end up with it being also black.

I was thinking of just waxing it?

All advice welcome

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post
    I'm refinishing a Walther LP3 Match grip and would welcome advice as to what to finish it with as I'd like it to look as 'factory' as possible.

I've scrubbed it with a bristle brush and soap to remove ingrained dirt and then wire wooled it.

If I damp a small area it goes very dark, so don't want to end up with it being also black.

I was thinking of just waxing it?

All advice welcome

cheers
    Wax sounds good. I think you're right not to suggest oil - I mistakenly oiled the stippling on a match rifle stock years ago, and it did turn very dark. I imagine the LP3 grip would soak it up like a sponge too.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Have a look here;

https://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php?p1=400&p2=308

Rink walnut grips tend to have a light coloured finish - the oil they use is from a company called Scherell.

I found 2 sources;

https://www.ballistol-shop.de/Gun-St...t_B-S_249.html

http://www.hunting-lodge.co.uk/scher...-gun-stock-oil

Hope this helps.
    ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Thanks for the tips, I've just ordered the lightest shade of the Scherell oil, if its' too light I can always go for a darker shade.

Got the oil this week. It's very good, soaks into the wood and really bring out the grain, smells nice too!

The bottle now comes with a sponge applicator, I also used my finger to work the oil in as the heat from my skin helps it soak in.

Really recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post
    Got the oil this week. It's very good, soaks into the wood and really bring out the grain, smells nice too!

The bottle now comes with a sponge applicator, I also used my finger to work the oil in as the heat from my skin helps it soak in.

Really recommend it.
    Sounds like that's the secret then - use only the lightest coloured oil. I assumed that the stippling on my rifle went dark because it was oil, but it must've been that the oil was dark too.

I think it was just standard walnut oil that wasn't particularly dark on the wood grain, but the stippled areas just gobbled it up, turning them very dark indeed - and once done there was no reversing it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Sounds like that's the secret then - use only the lightest coloured oil. I assumed that the stippling on my rifle went dark because it was oil, but it must've been that the oil was dark too.

I think it was just standard walnut oil that wasn't particularly dark on the wood grain, but the stippled areas just gobbled it up, turning them very dark indeed - and once done there was no reversing it.
    It does darken the stippled areas a bit more than the plain grain areas as it soaks in, but what I liked with the oil was that as it was absorbed and dried you could see the wood lighten again, instructions say multiple coats will darken the colour.

The instructions recommended cleaning the wood with vinegar to remove old oil!!!

Hello to All,

+1 on the Scherell stock oil.

I used the 'Light' to finish the stock on my Anschutz 250, and it did an excellent job.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ